Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 03:34PM

The BYU/Virginia game is starting right now on ESPNU. A question for those of you like me (BYU alums and who have left the TSCC): Are you still interested in BYU sports and do you root for them to win?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bobihor ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 04:06PM

I still root for BYU. But only because since I live in Utah Valley it's "my team", so to speak. The same reason anyone would root for any hometown team. I hate that Bronco puts football 5th, instead of 1st like a head football coach should. And I hate the stupid honor code getting our best players kicked off the team now and then...not to mention hurting recruiting.

Back in the day, sometimes I would wonder why God didn't help the team out a little more. Imagine the publicity and converts the church would get if, say, BYU won the national championship like 10 times in-a-row. :)

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 09:08PM

I usually hope BYU loses every game each season.

However . . . .

They're playing my team this year, and having them win every game BUT that one will help my team's "strength of schedule" statistic. I really hate how the BCS system makes us root for our opponents.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 11:24PM

I don't like either football or BYU. My only interest is in hoping they lose

Posted by: JohnStockton12 ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 01:08AM

Go Utes! We need the cougars to win all their games except for the Utah BYU game. The higher their ranking, the higher Utah's ranking will be.

I don't know how much longer BYU football will keep going. With the mass exodus out of the church BYU football is bound to fall along with the church.

Date: September 01, 2013 01:11AM

I think that it is so cool that John Stockton is a member of this forum.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 04:31PM

What?! The basketball player! Like 'Stockton to Malone'?

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 12:05PM

I don't know about that. It will probably get easier to get into BYU, but it's not going away. I think I'd still consider sending my kids there. They have some highly ranked programs, and I would consider the tithing-subsidized tuition like a partial refund of all the tithing I've paid over the years. I have a feeling that non-tithe payers' kids aren't going to be accepted though.

Posted by: JohnStockton12 ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 01:18AM

We need a Mailman32 in here as well! Go Jazz!!!
Beat L.A.!

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 01:20AM

Meh. Cheering for BYU is just like being a Jazz fan. No matter how awesome they play, how close they are to a championship, you are *always* going to be disappointed in the end.

My family still clings to the 1984 Natl Championship, and worships McMahon.

The only time I ever actually hoped they would win, is when one of my immediate family members took the women's bball team to the sweet 16 for the first time ever. That was pretty rad. They haven't seen the likes of her since then.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 01:31AM

.....but McMahon did not win the 1984 Natl Championship for BYU......

Date: September 01, 2013 01:34AM

No, but McMahon did get caught drinking beer on the golf course and a TBM jerk ratted him out. I think he only got warned. I wonder what would be the punishment if that happened today?

Date: September 01, 2013 01:48AM

I was like seven years old, what the hell do I know? And anyway, I didn't say he won it for them, I just said they cling to the championship and McMahon. My mom still tells the Miracle Bowl story with great reverence. I half listen and humor her.

Date: September 01, 2013 01:56AM

The QB was Robbie Bosco from Roseville, CA. I knew his dad very well.

Date: September 01, 2013 02:05AM

I was not trying to beat you up over details, It was much more about my wondering if the 1984 BYU Football NCAA Natl Championship has finally taken on some truly mythological standing in the TBM minds of your family, evolving beyond its basis in reality, well on its way to becoming an epic MORmON lore, kind of like the first vision account did.

Oh and BTW, Virginia beat BYU today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2013 02:06AM by lucky.

Date: September 01, 2013 02:18AM

No problem.....I might have been a little too defensive.

And oh yeah, mythological lore for sure. Those were the glory days for them.

And yes, I noticed on FB, another family member who did undergrad at BYU and then graduate school at UVA was at the game. Everyone wondered who they cheered for, and after it was over, they shared a pic of the whole fam in their UVA gear. Lol. I thought that was great!

Date: September 01, 2013 02:28AM

I did not think you were too defensive, you stood behind what you initially said, clarified it, and you were correct -you did not say McMahon won it for BYU, but you had also very successfully conveyed the fact that your relatives are quite starry eyed about some of this stuff, which is what we were both getting at.

It was just the evolution of the conversation. I liked what you said.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 09:31AM

I always hope BYU will lose because my TBM family follows them so, well, religiously. My father even says stupid things about how it "brings others to the truth" because nonmembers are so gosh-darned impressed that they want to know more about this great institution. He seriously thinks it results in baptisms, so he gets pissed when I ask why God doesn't help His own speshul team win all the time then.

Date: September 01, 2013 09:39AM

well, fact is, you have his MORmON jello nailed to the wall, and MORmONS always hate it when that happens... just like they hate BYU losing..... just like BYU just did........ LOL!

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 09:41AM

^^this is why I root against my alma mater. I just can't help myself.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 10:36AM

yeah, and B. Gumble said BYU didnt play bow-diddly-tech that year. I remember how proud I was as a young tbm when the Y took the title.

Yesterday I just laughed at the stupid play calling of Bronco Mendenhall for not wasting the clock. I guess when they had the lead and the ball, Bronco was still thinking like a defensive guy...TURNOVER! what an idiot.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 10:49AM

BYU Football has be Tankin it for a long time. The holier then thou attitude/rules has sent the program spiraling like church membership. Go Utah, go Boise St.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 04:24PM

I've tried my best to find a different team to follow because I despise BY the man, don't care for Bronco at all, don't like the honor code and quite a few other things about the school. But, it just hasn't worked. My theory is once "imprinted" (sorry for the twilight reference but stick with me, it applies) on a team it is almost impossible to change allegiances. Harder than leaving TSCC. Some personalities have no trouble changing teams but certain types really can't do it effectively. That is why you still have die hard fans in the stands of teams that are perennial, life long losers.

So, I'm getting more comfortable being an Exmo, beer swilling, BYU fan and not caring what the other fans/mormons think. It is actually kind of enlightening to see other byu fans out there that are just like me. There are more than I thought.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 04:34PM

I am a fan, but the act is wearing thin with me. As long as they have a wannabe GA as a head coach, they will continue to flounder in mediocrity. But he will get his soft spoken tone into the Q12 soon enough, and we will no longer have to listen to his feminine voice breakdown of every failure on the team. His voice drives me crazy more than the fake gay voice so many people are using today.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 01:36AM

I miss LaVell. I cheered for the team when he was the coach, even long after I left TSCC.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 01:42AM

Am I alone thinking they screwed the pooch not putting Chow in charge after LE??

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 09:59AM

I'm with you.

Can't. Stand. Mendenhall.

Posted by: decieved for years ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 11:50AM

For years past, and now present season '13 and any seasons to come for what heathen years I got left, my FAVORITE team has and always will be whomever is playing B.Y.U. that week. I dont care who it is. And Bronco is an azz hole. Just kisses up because of the honor code and pisses away alot of recruits that could be playing there. Good for the other universities though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.