Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 06:25PM

"Dear first name Mr subeam and first name subeam,
This morning I have received your letter requesting removal of your membership from the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. I was surprised by this e-mail as your family is one that I admire and appreciate the service and assistance as members of the Lord's Church. Many have visited your home out of compassion for your family and a desire to help assist where possible.

In accordance with your request I will begin the process of having your names removed from the records of the church. This will cancel the effects of the saving ordinances of baptism, revoke temple blessings and withdraws the priesthood.

Please pursue in your family a life of a personal relationship with the Savior through personal prayer, scripture study, and living a life congruent with the commandments the Savior taught. Theses steps will enable the Holy Spirit to work in you and your family's life to receive guidance from the lord.

Should you want to meet to discuss, or have a change of direction please know we will be available to assists your family.

Sincerely, Bishop"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 06:34PM

I just wish they could see how they come across. This is a pretty tame letter and I'm sure he feels like he was as loving as he can be. But I'd sure like to know how, taking your name off the rolls of the congregation, removes the priesthood? Don't they have to do some kind of reverse jujitsu ritual? Nothing? And then to tell you, that at a minimum, you need to be sure to remain a Christian, Second Class! Do you get some kind of a medal issues for that new status?

Sheesh. What a bunch of bollocks!

But I really loved the part about him previously "admiring" your family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2013 06:35PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 06:45PM

My husband has worked with the Young Men and was very active for a period of over 5 years nobody went to summer camp and husband got over 10 boys to go 3 years in a row. Hmm and I was at home with sick kids what a blessing it was.

Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 11:27PM

Overall I thought this was a nice letter. He expressed surprise and probably regret, and he agreed to do as you asked.

The part that jumped out at me was when he said, "Many have visited your home out of compassion for your family and a desire to help assist where possible." To me this sounds like he is saying, "The LDS people have visited you and helped you and been compassionate to you" and thus implying that they did all this and you don't appreciate it, or as if because they did all this, you are under some obligation to them.

Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 11:38PM

I see some guilt tripping going on, too.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 11:44PM

That's the line which jumped out at me too, NotSoSure. He instantly went into the Mormon guilt-tripping mode.

We've done all of this for your family and this is how you repay us. You should owe us. You should feel guilty.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 11:58PM

I immediately noted the specific language: "personal relationship with the Savior" which is a big change from how I was taught!

On the whole,considering the context and reasons, it's a decent letter. It falls in line with what would be expected, coming from a bishop. This one was rather mild.

Of course, it was not necessary. He just needed to send his form to the Stake Pres. and he needed to send his form to Confidential Membership Records and be done with it.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 03:31AM

Be sure and let him know Mormon Apostle Bruce R. McConkie does not approve of trying to have a personal relationship with a Saviour. Just saying. Apostle trumps Bishop.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 06:51AM

Yes. He is waaaaaay off base with his personal relationship comment. I would send him a link to the assorted talks that warn against seeking a personal relationship with the savior. Bruce R McConkie was first. IIRC some modern apostles have backed him up.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 01:55PM

spanner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes. He is waaaaaay off base with his personal
> relationship comment. I would send him a link to
> the assorted talks that warn against seeking a
> personal relationship with the savior. Bruce R
> McConkie was first. IIRC some modern apostles have
> backed him up.

I looked for those the other day. Didn't find anything really substantial.
But I did notice that the current LDS believe in a personal relationship with Jesus, as there is plenty of language that says so.
However, as I pointed out, there is no doctrine, or commandment, or covenant that confirms that position.
Personal prayer is to Heavenly Father through Jesus Christ.
I've yet to figure out how that and study, etc, is a personal relationship with ... .well....anyone or anything. But, hey, that's just me!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 09:10AM

http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=602

"Now, it is no secret that many false and vain and foolish things are being taught in the sectarian world and even among us about our need to gain a special relationship with the Lord Jesus."

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 09:24AM

I got baptized at age 15 and I didn't know a lot about church history. Reading the Book of Mormon and the Bible at the time were comforting. The word of wisdom also at the time made sense to me that a heavenly father would give rules to keep his children safe. But at age 15 I wasn't aware of the benefits that a glass of wine has or that JS was a copy cat. I also didn't know that hot soup wasn't originally allowed either. With new found knowledge I see no other answer then to resign and that letter got me really upset. We are leaving the church not due lack of cookies or banana bread and or visits. We are leaving the church because it is damaging and false. Over 15 years later since my baptism and I don't want our children to only date lds people like I did. There were so many nice people I could have dated and I almost didn't marry my husband because he didn't seem to truly believe in the church.
I feel stupid for not leaving sooner and I wished I would have spend the tithing money to the red cross or UNICEF or a soup kitchen to some organisation that really helps the poor.
Bishop I don't need to be lectured it is time for me to admit that I followed the teachings of a con man JS. Polygamy and polyandry were for his gain only.
Thanks for your responses my hope is that I will soon have our exit letter.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 12:08AM

Interesting the differences in the two letters. Here's mine I received on Monday this week...

Dear Brother Bite Me,

I have received your request for name removal from Bishop M***** and from Church Headquarters. I regret you have made this decision, but in honoring your request, I am writing to inform you that the appropriate paperwork is being forwarded to the Office of the First Presidency.

My prayers go out to you and your dear family.

Respectfully,

Stake President

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 12:31AM

He is still telling YOU what to do. They can't seem to help themselves.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 01:41AM

^ this

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 12:37AM

I found this letter to be quite rude.

I agree that he's trying to guilt-trip you with 'how dare you do this since people have actually visited you home and shown compassion for you'?

And he's still playing know-it-all and telling you what to do: "Please pursue in your family a life of a personal relationship with the Savior through personal prayer, scripture study, and living a life congruent with the commandments the Savior taught. Theses steps will enable the Holy Spirit to work in you and your family's life to receive guidance from the lord."

What a jerk...

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 12:43AM

Totally.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 12:47AM

Damn, Ragnar. You read my mind. The same parts of the letter jumped out at me. The "caring" bishop is a colossal jackass. I guess he felt it was his duty to bish-slap them one final time.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 01:00AM

Mormons 'know' the (LDS presentation of) Christ's gospel.
that is... they 'know' what they're routinely told, time after time, repeated, re-hashed, re-told;

but those things are: The Things of Mormonism, NOT of Christ-Like living.

What Would Jesus Do? I don't think I ever (40 yrs) heard That inside an LDS building....

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 01:35AM

You should respond.

Dear bishop,

It's not my relationship with the Savior that's the problem.

My problem was my now terminated relationship with the LDS corporation pretending to be a church.

Posted by: antipodeanheathen ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 06:24AM

I don't know why they try to scare you with this b******t of "withdrawal of blessings". It's all pretend and make believe rubbish.

It's no more real (and a lot more tedious) than Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

It would be great to use a Patronous spell next time the mishies hassle you, though. That would be outstanding.

Posted by: Deja Vue ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 07:40AM

Just copy and paste all of this thread and send it back to him. He probably will STILL miss the points but still... lol

Posted by: Daphne ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 09:46AM

Did they take away your library card, too?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 10:51AM

The same qualities that made you and your family admirable, are likely the same ones that led you out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.