Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:00PM

I am first counselor. Laurels. So I have a bit of say in future mutual activities. I just suggested to the YW president(whom I'm very close to), that we go out and learn to change tires and oil. And she said it sounds good. I can turn the YW into individuals yet. XD

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jeffnlb ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:10PM

Fantastic. Everyone (male and female) should know how to do this. Those Laurels are lucky to have you.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:13PM

Posted by: elfling-to-lazy-to-login ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 11:06PM

Oh Piper, I hear you. I hated the "skills" we females were forced to do - embroider, knit, crochet - I am miserable when I'm forced to sit still.
I got kicked out of one meeting, because I was supposed to be crochet-ing a pot-holder and instead I made a hackeysack which I kicked all around. I still remember the pinched-up-lemon face of disapproval on the teacher's face while she held my failed pot-holder up for derision.

YW have to Sit Still, while the boys get to run around and do things.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:14PM

So are you going to teach it? ;) I want to go...when I was in YW we learned how to quilt and properly apply makeup. Hope you are still hanging in there, I have been thinking of you.

Posted by: jeffnlb ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:18PM

Quilting and proper makeup application techniques. Can be found in the Molly Mormon 101 syllabus. Thanks for the laugh, Piper.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:23PM

Like, cool!

We also learned to do the macarena when I was a Beehive.

*Sigh*

Date: January 31, 2011 07:55PM

I kinda know how to change oil. So I'll have my dad teach me some more. I totally would love to take over this activity.

Date: January 31, 2011 07:56PM

Yep. We learned how to apply makeup and hairstyles and quilts. When we were doing makeup day we were trying to teach to do it fast, for seminary. Slowest job of applying make up I ever saw.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:21PM

This is great! My father would not let me get my driver's license until I showed him that I knew how to change a tire.

Thank you, dad.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:57PM

Excellent idea. Everyone needs to know how todo this. Next might be keeping the tires properly inflated and checking other car fluids.

Date: January 31, 2011 07:59PM

I like it. Hehe. I may just ask to sit in the next BYC meeting to try to influence this mutual activity further.

Posted by: fallible ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 09:09PM

that "I know with every fiber of my being that 5W30 is the true weight oil." Who knows, maybe their car calls for 5W20.

Check owners manual or engine compartment to find out. Of course they should always pray about it and make sure they receive a personal confirmation.

And make sure you tell them to always check and make sure that the nuts are tight; tight like unto a dish. Lug nuts that is. If no torque wrench is available make sure they crank on them pretty good.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 09:40PM

What a great idea.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 10:48PM

Actually a good idea. Bit O/T but the idea reminds me of a Sunstone parody many years ago of Womens Conference, called Mens Conference I think. The standard lds women conference format was all made-over into an event about men in order to illustrate the condescension and silliness of the whole thing. Of course there was the standard opening exercises, run by women of course, and breakout lectures (by women) on such topics as "Men and Motherhood" and "How Men Can Dress To Create A Righteous Home". Next, people would retire to the cultural hall where men would show off their achievements and demonstrate their skills such as changing a tire, throwing footballs or tying flies amidst display tables of bowling trophies and examples of whittling. Finally, the conference would end with a closing meeting -- all the speakers being women of course. A pretty funny blast from the past if anyone still has a copy!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.