Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 04:03AM

...and as the "old guards" of Mormonism become a threatened species circling the wagons ever tighter (yea, even as tight as the Fancher-Baker party tried to do at Mountain Meadow) leave it to good-old Boyd to try to win "one more for the Gipper!"

[It was on his hospital bed that George Gipp, who played for the University of Notre Dame, is purported to have delivered the famous,"win just one for the Gipper" line. He apparently said this line to Knute Rockne, the football coach of Notre Dame. The full quotation from which the line is derived is:

“I've got to go, Rock. It's all right. I'm not afraid. Some time, Rock, when the team is up against it, when things are wrong and the breaks are beating the boys, ask them to go in there with all they've got and win just one for the Gipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock. But I'll know about it, and I'll be happy. ”

Rockne used the story of Gipp, along with this deathbed line that he attributed to Gipp, to rally his team to an underdog victory over the undefeated Army team of 1928 at Yankee Stadium.]

Is there a kinder, gentler brand of Mo'ism coming down the pike that Boyd KKK wants no part of?

So did Boyd's Gen-Con talk "win just one for Mo'ism" after all???

What say you?

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 07:11AM

I think he lost one for Moism, as this particular speech has been reported as far from Utah as the wilds of NJ, which never happens with General Conference boring platitudes. People who know nothing about Mormons are being made aware that they are bigots, and ignorant and hateful to gays, among others. We just had a horrible gay suicide here, a kid whose sex life was filmed and broadcast by a roommate for "fun". Not a Mo, but feeling is running high about gay kids and suicide, so Packer's hate speech comes at a particularly opportune moment in this area.

Also Pecker is all over blogs as diverse as Pharyngula, a science/ atheist blog. He is really making the Morg look bad, which it is. Pecker rips off the smiling Monson mask to reveal the ugliness under it all.

Posted by: ed ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 07:41AM

I actually was thinking the same thing. The Morg knows that he is the next to go, and so gave him the controversial topic. If it works, great, Packer gets to be a hero post-mortem. If it doesn't, the Morg can pull a McConkie and phase him out all the sooner.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.