Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Buckeye ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:19PM

Yesterday, my dog, beagle mix, bit the hand of my gf whe nshe came into the bedroom. I had falle nasleep and he got on the bed an dsnapped at her. A small puncture wound and a scratch but no stitches. He is my dog, I take responsibility.

Last month she wanted me to move in with her, so I did. She is not interested in discussing why the dog did this. To her, he is an evil, dangerous dog and she has given me an ultimatum: He goes or I go.

After the bite, I put him in his crate. While I was out, she poured a ton of water on him while he was in his crate. He was saturated from head to toe and is now scared to be in his crate where she insists he be. And I have to be rid of him tonight.

My ex will take him while I try to sort this out, though it will mean I have to make an eight hour overnight round trip (as well as work a full day tomorrow.) I do love her, but I am scared, have been crying all day but cannot tolerate abuse of animals, especially one that has been to hell with me and back.

I am just so confused and broken right now as I have nowhere else to go.

Buckeye

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:20PM

Get rid of the girlfriend.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:25PM

Now. Immediately. Yesterday. Temporary sadness beats permanent toxicity in your life.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:56PM

+1. If she's like this with your dog, how will she treat any children that might come of this union?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:24PM

Pack your stuff and get out of there. Dogs do not bite unless there is a reason. That is not a normally aggressive breed and as that is a first bite SHE caused it. And anyone that would do that to a crated dog is CRUEL. If you don't think that will turn on you in the future you have another thing coming. If you have to, take the pup to the ex SHORT TERM while you find a new place. This is a huge wakeup call. That is not the kind of person you want/need in your life.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:25PM

Exactly what Susan said. That was animal cruelty what she did to the crated dog. I would kick someone's ass if they did that to my dog.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:31PM

I would have to admin from JAIL. I hope Buckeye doesn't have any kids this toxic, cruel, childish, SELFISH woman could get to. There are plenty of other NICE, SANE, REASONABLE gals out there.

Buckeye, if you were close to me I would help you go house hunting and help you pack. TODAY.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:35PM

Agree 1,000x with what Susan I/S said. I've owned rescued boxers for nearly 20 years and volunteered in rescue off and on over the past 10 years. Dogs that bite always have a reason, and they always give a warning, whether or not the person about to be bit can understand their body language and other warning signs.

What she did to a crated animal that was unable to escape her treatment was animal cruelty.

If you have been to hell and back with your dog as you said you have, you should be far more concerned about honoring that relationship than worrying about the girlfriend. He's done nothing to deserve the kind of treatment he's gotten. You're his protector and defender - act like it and find another place to live immediately.

People who abuse animals don't usually hesitate to abuse people. Fair warning.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:54PM

to laugh at the above post. He is not randomly vicious but is very smart and if you try to make him do something he doesn't want to do (like come from outside or get off the furniture when he doesn't want to) he will bite. He, like many dogs will also go after whomever comes near him if he is sleeping near someone else. He's been like this for years and we've worked around his idiosycracies-someone else would have had him put to sleep.

All that being said, it is quite normal for a dog to go after someone as you've described. Anyone who would dump water on a dog as she did is a complete idiot and I'd run away as fast as I could.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:29PM

She abused a caged animal. Keep the dog, lose the GF.

Posted by: tevainotloggedin ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:29PM

One of the recognized indicators of sociopathy is cruelty to animals.

Your GF may not necessarily be a sociopath, but her behavior indicates that she is almost guaranteed to have some sort of MAJOR mental/emotional/personality disorder, the kind that is impossible, or almost impossible, to heal.

Get you and your dog out of there ASAP.

Today, if you possibly can.

Your GF is not someone you want to have a continuing relationship with, nor does your dog.

You both need to be and to feel SAFE, first and foremost in ANY relationship.

Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:35PM

Any person who could be so mean to a dog doesn't deserve love.

Your dog will love you unconditionally. She doesn't seemed interested in doing the same for you.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:42PM

While it doesn't rhyme I'm sure I've heard it in the hood - Dogs before Ho's. Especially in this case!!!

You probably could have done better authority assignment and socialization with the dog and prevented the bite. But I have no idea how you fix the idiotic cruelty of the watercrating.

So I would stick with a healthy one that makes mistakes protecting you rather than a friggin b!tch!!

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:43PM

Could you really ever truly respect her again after what she did to your wee buddy?

At the very least, move out. However, I'm more inclined to agree with the just end it and move on sentiment. Abusing an animal speaks volumes and it's never good.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 07:45PM

Adding...

As well as the abusive to your dog, she also issued an ultimatum, without being willing to discuss the circumstances surrounding it. That is also a big red flag.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:50PM

Your gf is a bitch. Your dog relies on you for its well-being. Get rid of the gf asap. Don't think about it. Do it..

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 04:51PM

NOTHING pisses me off more than animal cruelty. I think you know which bitch needs to go!

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 05:00PM

If you dare state a location I'm sure you might be able to find someone closer than 8 hours away willing to watch him.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 05:01PM

I'm a cat person, but I like dog people. Your girlfriend is not a dog person. The dog knows this. And yes, it does come down to choosing her or the dog.

Choose wisely, my friend.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 05:02PM

Girlfriends come and go, but a dog will love you forever.

Ditch the bitch. And I'm not talking about the dog.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 05:24PM

You have been given an insight to your future if you continue with this relationship. Her or the dog? Easy choice. Obviously she knows you love your dog. To make you choose is cruel. Abusing a defenseless animal? Cruel is in her wheelhouse. Like they say in the movies- "GET OUT NOW!"

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 05:25PM

She dumped water on the dog on purpose? She sounds mean. I am with everyone else. Keep the dog.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 05:31PM

He's trying to tell you something..

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 05:48PM

Her cruelty to your animal is a huge, red, angry, ugly flag.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:13PM

With you being with the dog first, he learned that he came second in the pack so naturally when your girlfriend came in the picture he saw her as being lower than him in the pack. My daughter had a dog before her daughter was born. Her dog bit her baby when she was learning to crawl. All of us wanted her to get rid of the dog but she went to a trainer and readjusted the family heirarchy. It has been the best dog since. Just from reading your post, I think there was a power struggle between your girlfriend and your dog. It could be worked out with training. However, the fact that your girlfriend was purposely cruel to a caged animal is a no brainer in my eyes. I would keep the dog and break up with the girlfriend unless she agrees to go to family training. Before I became a dog owner a few years ago (because my husband wanted a dog), I would have poopood this idea. But if you have been through thick and thin with your dog, I wouldn't give it up so easily.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 05:57PM

Maybe kennel the dog for one night and then make arrangements.
I'd sleep in the car with the dog if nothing else.

Posted by: justbnme ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:01PM

Very telling. Not hard to read these tea leaves. Man up and do what has to be done.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:02PM

I am not a lover of animals, I am a people first person. That being said, she took away your dogs only security by soaking him/her in her crate.

That indicates to me a borderline personality, possibly mild sociopathy.

You need to get a new girlfriend.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:06PM

Get rid of the girlfriend. Move out. Keep the dog. Hopefully, she won't call animal control in retaliation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2013 06:07PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: Deja Vue ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:21PM

Animals in general, but especially dogs are have amazing sensing powers.

Trust your dog! DO NOT trust the girl friend! Listen to your gut.

Listen to all who have posted.

Ditch the gf NOW.

Do not try to justify your GF behavior or listen to ANYTHING she may say. Do not argue with her. Do not discuss or defend your position or try to explain your position. Her actions speak volumes and it's all scary and a warning to you.

TRUST what your dog is trying to tell you! You ARE next and if you choose to ignore what you already know, you deserve what is coming next. JUST TAKE YOUR DOG AND GO! I

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:24PM

I was a battered wife. My ex's family never warned me about the brute's history of violence, to people and to animals. If I had known that he had killed several pet dogs in the neighborhood, I would have never dated him, would have never even spoken to him! Cruelty like this is a sign of a personality or even a mental disorder. Your gf seems in a hurry to live with you. I'll bet you haven't known her very long. You need to get more invormation about her. Hire a detective, if necessary. Talk to her ex boyfriends.

1. Take your dog over to your ex's house NOW, to get it out of harm's way.

2. Find a place for you to stay tonight, to get you out of harm's way.

3. Introduce your gf to Mitt Romney--they have something in common.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:30PM

#3 ha ha ha...good joke.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:28PM

Sounds like you're dealing with an evil dangerous bitch...and I not referring to your dog....anybody that would torture an animal by dumping water on it while it's confined to a crate should be arrested for animal cruelty....ditch the bitch...

Ron Burr

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:47PM

I don't like dogs. I am not a dog person. However, when I know someone loves their dog, I love the dog as an extension of them. I don't know if that makes sense. I would never do something like that to a dog, let alone a defenseless caged one. That is a deal breaker. Unacceptable, she is not a good person. There is something wrong with her.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:48PM

Why did she dump water all over him? Was he snarling at her when she came near?

I'm with everybody else--leave with your pooch.

Posted by: jeffs52 ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 06:50PM

What do they say about people that are cruel to animals? Sociopaths?

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 07:04PM

Girlfriend should be in the crate, not the dog.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 07:09PM

PLEASE lose the girlfriend and keep the dog!

And please come back and let everyone know you are both safe.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 07:15PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 07:18PM

...to go with the dog over the gf.

Something I haven't noticed anybody mentioning is that SHE framed the problem with an ultimatum: "(S)he has given me an ultimatum: He goes or I go."

That is quite interesting in and of itself, and I believe, rather demonstrative of how she handles her relationships. You've certainly invested some time and emotinal capital in the relationship, but if you act quickly and purposefully, you may be able to "cut your losses" early and get out of a bad situation on the ("emotional") cheap.

Good luck!

Posted by: lurker below ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 07:19PM

ditch her. She's toxic. If she's capable of torturing an animal like that she's capable of doing it to you. You don't need that level of BS in your life. Find someone who loves the whole you package, dog included.

Posted by: antipodeanheathen ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 07:28PM

That seems pretty unanimous.

She's not the girl for you. Totally ditch her.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 07:37PM

GET OUT NOW. If that is what she will do to a dog, what will she do to you. She is apparently punishing the dog for snapping, nipping her.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 07:59PM

I agree with everyone above. Keep the dog, ditch the girlfriend. What she did was ignorant, cruel, and unacceptable. The way that she treats an animal is the way that she will treat a person (if not now, soon.)

Cruelty toward animals is a big red flag for possible sociopathy.

Posted by: notyersister ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 08:04PM

Your beagle is trying to tell you something and you're not listening. One time I was walking my beagle and we came to a crosswalk. He absolutely refused to cross the street there. As you know beagles can be very strong and strong willed. Well I looked up at the guy on the other side of the street and I just knew something was wrong with that man. We turned around and my beagle gave me no more trouble. I'm sure my doggie saved me from something bad.

I miss my dog a lot and even though I wouldn't have chosen that breed myself(he was my son's dog) I know they are super smart!

Posted by: swiper ( )
Date: September 06, 2013 08:06PM

Buckeye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> After the bite, I put him in his crate. While I
> was out, she poured a ton of water on him while he
> was in his crate. He was saturated from head to
> toe and is now scared to be in his crate where she
> insists he be. And I have to be rid of him
> tonight.

Your GF got to go. She's abusive to animals and to me that's a deal breaker.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.