Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 07:37PM

Another thread about the "Plan of Salvation" got me thinking, in Mormonism what's the big deal with getting a physical body?

Getting a body is a huge deal in the Mormon PoS. Its one of the major goals of this life here on earth. It was one of the major reasons for the atonement. It was the entire point to God creating this whole physical universe. The ultimate cursing that God did to Satan was to deny him the "privilege" of getting a body! Physical bodies are a BIG DEAL.

But... why?

What can a physical body do, that a spirit body can't? Interact with the physical world? So what? The physical world was only created for the purpose of giving us somewhere to live in our physical bodies! We were perfectly fine being spirits living in a spiritual world, interacting with spiritual stuff. Without physical bodies, there would be no physical world for the spirit people to not be able to interact with!

Physical bodies suck! They break, they have pain, they die. They can't walk through walls, or teleport, or fly, like spirit bodies do. When you really look at it, physical bodies are a step DOWN from spirit bodies in every way!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 07:47PM

"What can a physical body do, that a spirit body can't?"

Squeeze-out an SBD in a packed elevator? <evil grin>

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 07:49PM

I think it's all about the Big O.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 07:54PM

That's exactly what is, and always has been, the core priority for the patriarchal Mormons. To insure and increase opportunities for male orgasms.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 07:55PM

>>>>Physical bodies suck<<<<<

Well--that's a feature not a bug.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 08:16PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 08:03PM

nickname Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What can a physical body do, that a spirit body can't?

Have limits. Think: What else has limits? And perhaps more importantly, why have limits?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2013 08:04PM by summer.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 08:09PM

You gotta get out more, some bodies are downright awesome. ;)

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 09:45PM

But aren't our "spirit bodies" supposed to look just like our physical bodies in their prime?

Posted by: KristinDiMera ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 08:33PM

That part of the PoS doesn't make sense to me at all. Even worse: Since HF and HM supposedly have glorified, resurrected, physical bodies, why do they only produce "spirit children" without bodies? The entire narrative is absurd.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 10:48PM

I've thought about this as well. Of course, JFS taught that "creating" spirit children would actually be modifying intelligences that have always existed...that makes much more sense, right?

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 04:39AM

OH, there you go picking apart MORmONISM with logic and coherent thought. Next thing you will tell us that all those dead people could not care any less about an LDS Inc Joe Smith brand baptism, or that the BOM really is not the greatest thing ever written.

Posted by: Tango-1 ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 11:06PM

I think just the opposite, why would I want a spirit body? Dreadful..I can breathe the air, feel the blood coursing throughout my body from a good run, or have sex with someone I love, and of course eat and eat and eat and eat. What a HORRIBLE thought to have all of these removed.

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 11:28PM

I would hope I didn't get stuck with a spirit body that looks just like my current body. Yuck!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 05:50AM

Will there be trumping in heaven?

Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 06:00AM

Physical bodies are a vehicle with which to make tangible creations from our hopes wishes & dreams.

For example, a person laying in bed dreaming about how he/she would like the world to be...vs getting out of bed and working with body & mind to make those dreams a reality.

Also anyone who has ever reached the heights of maximal human achievement in activities such as gymnastics, yoga, and sexual pleasure, know the body is quite a marvelous vessel!!!

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 09:01AM

Spirits can't make money and write tithing checks. Physical bodies can.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 10:38AM

Speaking as a man, I'd say the female body is fantastic.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 10:51AM

My cats have physical bodies, too. Last night I crushed a big-ass palmetto bug in my bathroom. It, too, had a body. Just sayin'.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.