Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 07:55PM

Mormons and Dance

Mormons love dance. A revelation to Brigham Young was given when members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were camped at Winter Quarters, Nebraska, in preparation for the long trip west.
Thou shalt be diligent in preserving what thou hast, that thou mayest be a wise steward; for it is the free gift of the Lord thy God, and thou art his steward. If thou art merry, praise the Lord with singing, with music, with dancing, and with a prayer of praise and thanksgiving. If thou art sorrowful, call on the Lord thy God with supplication, that your souls may be joyful (Doctrine and Covenants 136:27-29).
Said Brigham Young:
Our work, our everyday labor, our whole lives are within the scope of our religion. This is what we believe, and what we try to practice. Recreation and diversion are as necessary to our well-being as the most serious pursuits of life. If you wish to dance, dance, and you are just as prepared for prayer meeting as you were before, if you are Saints. [1]
"In 1830 when the Church was organized, many Christian denominations were hostile toward recreation and play, particularly dance. However, the Prophet Joseph Smith and his successors advocated dance and participated in recreational dancing. Joseph Smith was a skillful dancer and enjoyed hosting dances in his home (Holbrook, p. 122). Brigham Young and the Quorum of the Twelve "danced before the Lord" to the music of a small orchestra in the Nauvoo Temple after long days of joyous participation in temple ordinances.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 10:31PM

I thought that MORmONS have an obsession with dance.
When MORmON apologist Teryll Givens mentioned MORmONS traditional LOVE of dance in the PBS documentary on MORmONS, then I knew it was not just me.

WHen I was in MIA, I said I did not want to go to dance festival. By the way I was treated for my lack of interest, you'd thought I had suggested nailing Jesus back onto a cross.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 10:40PM

If you don't dance, sing, or play piano you're going to be a misfit. You will have numerous guilt trips laid on you.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 11:03PM

Mormons are encouraged to learn the performing arts, but there is no joyful noise inside the temple. I worked four hour shifts in the laundry of the Draper Temple to the tune of the dryer and the hum of the washing machine. No background music.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 11:42PM

If it's Julianne Hough dancing I'm all over it....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.