Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fraudism ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 11:59AM

I'm sure most posters here have heard about the Mark Hoffmann affair. The guy was a very talented nut job who on discovering that the LDS Church was a fraud decided to perpetrate his own fraud on the Church and murdered people in an attempt to cover his tracks.

I found it interesting to learn how much this implicated Gordon B. Hinckley though who was involved in purchasing items from Hoffmann and vouched for him when police realized that it was Hoffmann who was responsible for creating embarrassing documents from Church history and then selling them to the Church.

What I recently learned from reading up on different boards is how Hinckley influenced the police investigation to avoid having to appear in court himself.

"...The real villain was President Gordon B. Hinckley. He saw no chagrin on Hinckley's broad, implacable face. No repentance. No apologies. No admission of wrongdoing. Just arrogance--plain unbridled arrogance. As far as he was concerned, Hinckley had fallen for Mark Hofmann's blackmail, bought up damaging documents and hidden them away in his private vault, and in so doing, indirectly contributed to the deaths of two innocent people.

"And then lied about it...Hinckley had lied outright by saying he had met with Mark Hofmann only casually and with Steve Christensen (first bomb victim) only once; he had lied indirectly by allowing Church spokesmen to deny that the Church owned documents he had bought."

"'How is it that you felt comfortable relying on Mr. Hofmann as a sole basis for purchasing these documents?'

"Hinckley looked him in the eye. 'We relied on Mark Hofmann's integrity.' he said gravely. 'If we were deceived, then it's to his eternal detriment.'

"Wow, thought Biggs (county attorney). Heavy stuff. But hardly responsive.

"They tried another approach. As per Joseph Smith's instruction, every good Mormon is supposed to keep a detailed daily diary of his or her activities. Over the years, the Church's leaders had been extraordinarily conscientious in obeying that injunction. So they asked to see Hinckley's diary entries for his meetings with Mark Hofmann. 'I don't keep a diary,' Hinckley responded quickly, as if he were prepared for the question.

"After another hour of evasions, memory lapses, and sermonettes, Biggs lost his patience. 'President Hinckley. This has been in the news---people have died---isn't there any way we can get some information about your meetings with Hofmann?'

"Hinckley couldn't contain his indignation. 'This is the least of my concerns,' he huffed. 'I am an extremely busy man. I have worldwide concerns. Mr. Hofmann is a postscript...' he reached for the rest of the phrase, '...in the walk of life.'

"You wish, thought David Biggs.

"When Bob Stott (devout Mormon; head county prosecutor) finally worked up the courage to talk about Hinckley's testimony at the upcoming preliminary hearing Wilford Kirton (Church attorney) jumped in.

"'President Hinckley doesn't wish to testify at the hearing. We think it would be in everyone's best interests to not have him testify.'

"Someone suggested that he would have to testify at trial.

"You don't understand, said Kirton imperiously. President Hinckley does not wish to testify at the hearing, at the trial, at anything.

"Even Stott had to be outraged. This was putting him, as a devout member of the Church, under wholly unacceptable pressure.

"Hinckley had obviously wanted to stay out of this discussion, but it was clear from the prosecutors' reaction that nothing less than his personal intervention would calm the furor that Kirton's comments had unleashed. So he decided to give another sermonette, this one on the subject of 'priorities.' He sat down with Stott as a father would sit down with a wayward son.

"'This isn't that significant, as it relates to Church matters,' he said softly. 'It's the Church that matters. You have to consider the Church first. I don't wish to testify.'

"This time Stott said nothing.

"But that wasn't all Hinckley wanted. 'I think it would be in the best interests of the Church,' he added in the same mellow voice, 'if you simply dismissed the charge.'"

I didn't know that Hinckley actually made a call to CBS and killed a four our TV mini-series that was going to be made about the "Mormon Murders". As detailed in an article I recently read,

When word hit Salt Lake that CBS was committed to tell the Mormon Murders story as a four-hour mini-series, it is said that LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley called CBS founder and chief William S. Paley and asked, "How would you like some outsiders doing a vicious four hour attack on your Jews?"

Paley, who hadn't been Jewish for more than half a century, was taken aback enough to call Bill Self, running CBS programming, and suggest, "Would it bother you too much to kill this Mormon show?"

The "Mormon show," which had been ordered to production and funded, was now dead at CBS.

So Hinckley influenced both the police investigation and the TV show that was going to be made which would have shown his own culpability and deception.

I wonder if, now that he's dead the Church would be able to stop a production being made about it? It's about time, it is a story that deserves to be told.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 12:06PM

But like Scientology for some reason the full extent of these kinds of things never gets done.

Only recently did Brigham Young (Gordo's hero) get a movie showing what he was probably like in covering up something.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 12:17PM

Where does this apparently recorded dialog come from?

I happen to think Hinckley was a conniving liar, so it sounds credible, but it is awfully detailed to be from someone's memory. Are you sure someone isn't being creative here?

Date: September 12, 2013 12:23PM

The Mormon Murders: A True Story of Greed, Forgery, Deceit, and
Death, Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith, 1988, pp. 309, 357-358

Is the source for the quote, a book written by two lawyers who interviewed the people involved in the investigation.

Date: September 12, 2013 12:24PM

Fraudism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Mormon Murders: A True Story of Greed,
> Forgery, Deceit, and
> Death, Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith,
> 1988, pp. 309, 357-358
>
> Is the source for the quote, a book written by two
> lawyers who interviewed the people involved in the
> investigation.

Ah, good. Thanks. I have read two books on the subject. Can't tell if that's one of them.

Date: September 12, 2013 12:28PM

left4good Wrote:

> Ah, good. Thanks. I have read two books on the
> subject. Can't tell if that's one of them.

This is quite new to me. What a tragedy and the cover up just highlights how corrupt the Mormons really are.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 12:20PM

I so agree. The Hoffman scandal fully displayed the powerful cover-up-lying-ability the Mormoney Inc. possesses. Hinkley was so indirectly guilty for the loss of those two precious lives. He was also guilty for another loss of life---the policeman who took his own life after being critically injured in the surveillance ordered by Mormoney Inc. on George Wallace. It does make me wonder how many other catastrophes the cult is guilty of in say, the last l5 years. The fact that Mormoney Inc. maintains a vigilante committee, under the guise of "strengthening" the members about says it all. Who has the balls to call it that? Only Mormoney Inc.

Date: September 12, 2013 12:29PM

Is there any real separation of Church and State in Utah?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 12:32PM

a BOMBING ... involving DEATHS... should have been Investigated & PROSECUTED BY THE FEDS... they may / might have been less intimidated by Wrinkley.

Date: September 12, 2013 12:32PM

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 04:47PM

guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
> a BOMBING ... involving DEATHS... should have been
> Investigated & PROSECUTED BY THE FEDS... they may
> / might have been less intimidated by Wrinkley.

Isn't this (murder) something that would fall under state law? What element would mandate Federal involvement?

Date: September 12, 2013 05:03PM

Lostmypassword Wrote:
> guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > a BOMBING ... involving DEATHS... should have
> been
> > Investigated & PROSECUTED BY THE FEDS... they
> may
> > / might have been less intimidated by Wrinkley.
>
> Isn't this (murder) something that would fall
> under state law? What element would mandate
> Federal involvement?

Several ways:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm01438.htm

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 01:07AM

It actually was referred to the feds but Hinkley's influence killed it there by pressuring the Mormon U.S Attorney into not prosecuting the case.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 03:36PM

"I wonder if, now that he's dead the Church would be able to stop a production being made about it? It's about time, it is a story that deserves to be told."

I know the current president of CBS.

Hinkley's shit would be laughed at if someone tried it today.

The problem now is that it's just olde news.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 03:37PM

Since when can't you say shit here?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 04:15PM

RFM critics are the worst kind of anal nitpickers you can imagine, and you're playing into their hands otherwise.

Date: September 12, 2013 05:45PM

Well spotted Cabbie, that was a very stupid mistake to make.

Date: September 12, 2013 08:08PM

Hofmann's sister sat behind me in study hall way back when...

Reading "The Mormon Murders" was pretty much old home week to me since I knew so many of the princple people involved...

Hinckley's subverting the investigation was news to me...

I am, incidentally, working on an interesting historical work that has ties to Hofmann.

I hope I can give more details at a later date.

Carry on...

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 05:20PM

Hinkley would rather even when the truth was cheaper

Posted by: ELIZABETH RAALY SMARTS !! ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 06:29PM

It would like a great film! Read the books on it!

Posted by: TX_ROX ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 06:46PM

...might have killed the CBS mini-series but the PBS show was spot-on, wickedly awesome. "Frontline"? or something similar?

Posted by: I believed this all, once... ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 06:57PM

(Crosses fingers) The Hofmann Murders would make a terrific True Crime drama!

Hinkley & Company's discerment and integrity-free response was one of my very first clues that something was rotten in TSCC.

Date: September 12, 2013 09:14PM

I loved it when the first individual featured was my friend Joe Redburn, a local talk show personality and owner of the Trapp (a popular gay bar).

This one re-runs periodically.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 09:05PM

produced a City Confidential about it. It's called "Faith and Foul Play in Salt Lake City." Google it for more info.

Posted by: fineline ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 02:10AM

This is the one I watched a while back.

Date: September 13, 2013 01:25AM

lostmyPW:

USE OF A EXPLOSIVE DEVICE

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.