Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 01:08PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56857838-78/edge-kissing-uvu-com.html.csp

This is yet another example in a depressingly long list, where Mormons show total cluelessness on what constitutes appropriate, normal social boundaries. I was gobsmacked that most other UVU students thought that this was all in good fun. The rest of the country is creeped out by the video of random "assault kisses".

Of course, when you are raised in a religion where people think nothing of the middle aged car dealer bishop asks people about masturbation, what underwear they wear, and 18-year-olds are trained to knock on strangers' doors and tell them they need to buy into Mormonism, this is what you get as a result.

The thread yesterday of a kid with Downs Syndrome being mocked for asking if a climber in a video was hurt from a staged fall was another example. Clueless about appropriate behavior.

Too many Mormons are bone-ignorant about boundaries.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2013 01:27PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 01:13PM

Looks like a couple of guys who've never had the shit beaten out of them.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 01:23PM

There is no culture in the world where it is ok to walk up to strangers, take their hand and pull them in, and hold their hand tight so that you can kiss them on the mouth while they try to pull away from you.

They should be banned from the campus of a state school where they repeatedly assault students.

This is how people in a cult act.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 01:23PM

"Mainstream media may not be receiving it well, but the community is," responds Edge, a 24-year-old who points to the ratio of thumbs up "

Seriously - mainstream humanity isn't receiving it well but your creepy little cult-ridden crowd in Provo is? Shouldn't this be a clue that you are doing something inappropriate? All the girls seem to be pulling away from them. Shouldn't THAT be a clue too? Oh wait, these guys were raised in culture that "no" means "I really want to go to church/be home taught/believe in Mormonism but I just need a little push to admit it." No boundaries at all. I couldn't even finish watching it.

Oh, and I hated how they flat out lied in the first one and said the guy was from France to justify their boundary-crossing. Inappropriate behavior is OK if you are willing to lie about why you are doing it. Unless I missed something ...

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 01:26PM

Good way to get yourself shot or the crap beat out of you.

There are women who carry loaded guns and who have the ability to do some major damage to some stranger who insists on invading their space.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 01:29PM

Mia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good way to get yourself shot or the crap beat out
> of you.
>
> There are women who carry loaded guns and who have
> the ability to do some major damage to some
> stranger who insists on invading their space.

Yup...Or maced, knifed etc...

Morons with no clue about boundaries.

Posted by: No Mo Lurker ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 02:17PM

Exactly. I carry a knife on me at almost all times. I wouldn't have hesitated to use it after I got over the initial shock of doing something so inappropriate.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 01:28PM

That's fucking dangerous. I would sue for assault. I do not want to spend the rest of my life with herpes because some joker thought it was funny.
Conversely, I wonder if any if them caught any germs from the women they assaulted?

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 01:37PM

That was so creepy, I had to stop watching. Seriously clueless idiots!

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 01:40PM

Those blokes would have had their testicles kneed up into their throats had they tried that on myself or any other woman I know. I wonder if they're wearing cups? Ha!

Here's the facebook page - let 'em have it!
https://www.facebook.com/thestuartedge

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 01:40PM

It's not a prank, it's an assault.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 01:43PM

A firmly placed knee to the groin would at least slow them down. If you have heels on a nice stomp on the instep is another fine move. I was not a sorority girl for nothing. Fending off drunk frat boys can be an art.

If all else fails a slap that includes some fingernails on the face would also make an impression.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 02:25PM

About 7 years ago, I was the victim of a bad prank. I am not making this up. It was so creepy & wrong, & I have tried to push it out of my mind.

I was waiting for my bus one night, & these younger adults (teens maybe?) jumped out of a car, & one girl was wearing a Winnie The Pooh costume. She came over to me & started feeling up my arms & hugging me. I was so creeped out & afraid that I didn't know what to do. Then she & the other girl jumped back into their car. I then began screaming & cursing at them as they drove away.

All I could think was that they were with a church you group, maybe even TBMs. Whoever they were, they had no idea that wha they were doing was wrong, sick, & invasive.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 07:14PM

What the hell is wrong with people???

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 02:35PM

Mormon humor...nigh unto rape. Wasn't there a guy last year that kidnapped a girl as a joke?

I went to HS with one of these types of look-at-me-morons....he still makes stupid movies in which the "humor" is about taking advantage of people. Like those heavy handed mexican/russian prank shows in which a security guard corners a woman, slaps her around and only after she breaks down does the "host" come out and say, don't cry its a joke, you are on TV, so its funny!

If that were my daughter jokey the clown and I would go for a drive into the dessert.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2013 03:05PM by erictheex.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 02:42PM

A relative in Utah posted that to Facebook. That is just plain stupid. Can you say Sexual Harassment?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 02:46PM

That dude need someone to drill a clue into him. Sorry bud, but you are the very difinition of a creep!

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 02:46PM

someone would get seriously disfigured if they tried this on me

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 02:54PM

The girls at UVU need a new class on stranger danger. Too many of them went along. I'm glad that UVU is a safe place, but I think the girls should be a bit more wary.

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 03:11PM

My first thought would be to either knee him or punch him. Wow what an creepy little idiot.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 03:33PM

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 03:37PM

you have to remember how horny young mormons are...it's all pent up sexual energy. They are just "releasing it" in the wrong fashion

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 05:37PM

That looked a lot to me like sexual assault

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 07:15PM

That's because it is.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 05:43PM

People in other countries do often kiss, but not complete strangers with random people on the street. That's not done anywhere that I know of except in cases of assault.

There's really something wrong with this guy and his ideas to be provocative.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 06:23PM

You might say he put the provo in provocative.

Posted by: sha'dynasty ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 05:51PM

I'm not able to watch the video right now, but has this guy heard of herpes, HPV, mononucleosis....

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 06:22PM

Posted by: horsegirl ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 06:58PM

Notice how all the girls pulled away when he went for the lip kiss? I also noticed how he held them and wouldn't let the go causing them to turn their heads or duck. Are the boys that clueless? Do they not see that the girls did not want to be kissed? My 21 year old college student DD carries mace and would not think twice about hitting or macing a guy that held her and tried to kiss her that way, but I don't suppose that would make the video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2013 06:58PM by horsegirl.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 07:12PM

Goofy, awkward, and taser-worthy.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 07:24PM

What is wrong with those women? They are being WAY too nice to those horse's asses.

At some point, the wrong woman (meaning one with some serious self-defense skills) will be assaulted and one of those guys will land up in the emergency room.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2013 07:24PM by summer.

Posted by: jess lurkin ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 07:37PM

becomes the president of the largest public university in the state for no apparent non-nepotistic reason. I've been taking classes there for four years now and the downward spiral has become exponential.

This school (UVU), which used to be something of a secular alternative to BYU, is now being used by Mormons as an overflow tank for that infamous institution, namesake of our legendary state founder and psychopath, masquerading as a school of higher learning. It is also hiring hapless/clueless postgraduates from BYU at an alarming rate.

It's a tragic scandal. I wish people would wake up.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 07:55PM

country pulling all kinds of weird pranks on unsuspecting people. Then they post them on youtube. The pranks range from holding a person's hand, to announcing that there is some major emergency. One of them is going to get seriously injured someday. Doing this is not only dangerous, but down right rude, to say the least.

Posted by: UVU Employee ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 07:57PM

I work at UVU and disagree with the opinion that the school is going in a downward spiral. Pres. Holland knows he's under the bright lights and he walks a fine line between the expectations of the local community and the obligations of a public, secular higher ed. institution. He's done a good job walking that line. I don't agree with everything he does, but I do respect him for what he's done in his position.

I know his hiring smacks of nepotism, especially because of his lack of administrative experience--but most at UVU seem to have gotten past that because of his job performance.

I hope UVU administration gets down on these stupid boys--or least reprimands them. Geez.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 10:00PM

Well...Utah was the strangest place I have ever lived.

I see nothing has changed since I've been away.

Posted by: hungryheart ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 01:30AM

That is most definitely sexual assualt! What is on the agenda for next month's prank, random grabbing of boobs? Mind you I am straight and like men in general, but if somebody tried that on me without permissionk, he would be most likely wind up blind: I carry a very large can of bear spray ( meant to stop bears) and would just reflexivly use it if truly caught unawares~!
and no i DONT want herpes or any other disease, never mind a strangers gloppy saliva in/ on my mouth. Yuck. All this just another demonstration of the incredibly arrogant Mormon philosophy : what can I get out of you?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.