Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 11:56PM

...who were inactive, from "broken homes", who's mom's worked, etc. They loved to point out how these kids were the "bad" ones.

Meanwhile, their own kids - kids from middle to upper class homes with never divorced parents & stay at home moms - these kids were doing who knows what all around town - drinking, drugs, sleeping around like crazy, kids out of wedlock, skipping school, stealing, breaking the law, jail time, etc. etc. etc.

Except, when these "good" parents were questioned about it, they would still blame "the bad kids" as the ones that had led their "poor innocent babies" into temptation.

Goddamn fucking fuckheaded hypocrites!!!!!! I knew people like this year after year in the cult (& in other churches too, I might add). But the ones in the cult were some of the worst. Even my own aunt & uncle blamed my cousin's friends (active TBMs at the time, but who had divorced parents) for his drinking & drug use, which I knew was total bullshit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 11:57PM by Tristan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 03:45AM

My step mother always asked why I wasn't like so n so.
Problem was he was smoking, drinking, poor grades etc.
I was not a rat so I couldn't toss back at her just what type of person he was.

I learned that it didn't matter what she or anyone else thought. Didn't the Bard say "to thine own self be true"?
I got to the point I'd give a haughty snort of derision when ever she compared me or blamed me for something so false.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:18PM

I have it on good information (my teenage kids) that many of the "good Mormon kids" are pretty wild. But they put on their church faces for home and church.

Meanwhile, many assumptions have been made about MY non-churchy kids.

Earth to Mormons: Having an extra earring or wearing a tank top doesn't have anything to do with sexual activity, or drug use. And another note: If you judge your kids harshly for every small infraction, they'll never talk to you when they get themselves in a jam or need good advice. And they'll learn to be really good liars

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:24PM

Or they will learn to never, ever talk to you. I'm sure my teenagers have their own personal space but on the whole, we talk about a ton of subjects. They aren't worried about having to be perfect or even having to agree with me on everything. Don't get me wrong, we have our family rules, but there is no image to maintain, nor is Satan out to get my kids so we don't have to worry about every tiny slip-up like Mormon parents do. It's OK to make mistakes around our place.

But Bishop Jackwagon's wife has complained to me more than once that her sons never, ever talk to her. Two of them went to a big sports competition in London last summer with their school and didn't even tell her about the trip when they returned. She says they never share anything. Now part of this might just be the dynamic in their family - not everyone is open and talkative no matter what family they are in. But a lot of it probably has to do with the extremely strict rules and even more stringent emphasis on their image. If you are always getting corrected, pretty soon you are going to clam up and not put your head on a chopping block.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:34PM

You're right. Whole sermons and class lessons can center on running down certain people in order to build up the speaker or those he/she is trying to impress.

There's no excuse for using church for such a negative hurtful purpose.

Mormons might think they're encouraging "good behaviors," but they're only causing hurt feelings and divisiveness.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:39PM

I found it very interesting while residing in UT that the Mormons sure had a high rate of teen pregnancy. Remembering all those ads for adoption thru LDS social Services.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 09:27PM

When I was in middle school my mother was constantly asking me why I wasn't friends with "so & so" in the ward. Their mom's were her fake friends from RS, and all of them were such good, popular kids, why I chose to hang around with "losers," i.e, nice kids who didn't pretend to be something they were not.

The "good kids," she was referring to (including the SP's son) were heavily involved in a drug distribution ring and most of them actually ended up in jail, except for the kid a year younger than me who snitched to the FBI; he and his family ended up in witness protection. Oh yeah, this was in small town Utah, surprise, surprise.

Even more shocking, when this all went down, it was totally swept under the rug, no one in the ward even acknowledged or talked about it, except to blame, "the troubles," on bad influences who were non - mormon. If I hadn't been there to see it I'd never believe it.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 09:32PM

On another topic, my 19 year old niece just got married at 5 mos pregnant (Provo). While I and my ex-mo sibs are/were horrified at the waste of her future because she is a bright, talented and intelligent girl, my TBM fam thinks everything is fine "since at least she was engaged when she got pregnant and now they're married." Anyone else see anything wrong with this view point?

From my perspective, birth control, anyone? Seriously?! I would much rather have my 18 year old (how old she was) on BC than to pretend she's not sexually active and end up pregnant. How is it possibly good that 19 year old kids are married and having a baby when they aren't even capable of taking care of themselves?!!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 10:55PM

The ward slut would get up every fast and testimony meeting and bring the adults to tears with all her righteous babble.

Her father was an orthodontist, and she was the darling of the ward. It was nauseating. She get get up to the pulpit and boo hoo about how much she loved the church. She was incredibly phony. I sometimes wonder where she is some 40 years later.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.