Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 10:56AM

The Jeffs are the worst kind of PR for TSCC. They are a constant reminder of TSCC's ugly history.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2420634/You-destroyed-flesh-FLDS-survivor-Rebecca-Musser-describes-Warren-Jeffs-threatened-life-refused-sex-85-year-old-father.html

No matter how many stories come out of this family, I can't help but be shocked. I have no shock fatigue and I'm guessing most Americans don't.

The Jeffs are far more effective than many anti-Mormon/pro-truth people and organizations could ever be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 02:24PM

Rebecca Musser is an amazing woman who defied the FLDS Church for herself, sister, and many others. She is bright and courageous and paints a vivid picture with her words describing what it was like to fight for her freedom from this cult.

I hope that some TBM will be moved by her story and see the similarities between Warren Jeffs and Joe Smith and the MormonInc. and the FLDS.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:17PM

I, too, hope that some TBM will be moved by Rebecca's story. But as you well know, most TBMs can look at the ugliness of the FLDS and see none of their own history. TBMs can look at FLDS and not see that the teachings and doctrine of the LDS and FLDS are far closer to one another, certainly, than either is to, say, mainstream Christianity. What I have seen of the FLDS...as much as I can stomach the psychobabble that Jeffs and his ilk write, it is far closer to the teachings of JS and BY than the LDS like to admit.

We don't practice polygamyyyyy!!! they whine and cry to me. We don't exclude black people!!!! they protest. It's not about what you do...it's about the men YOU say were prophets who spoke for God. Guess I can't divorce the two.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:07PM

If there was a question of what a Mormon country would actually look like, we have the FLDS to look at.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 04:22PM

"...you will be destroyed..." Interesting choice of words, the exact word Joe used to intimidate Emma....D&C 132

I wonder if even one TBM picked up on that.

Doubtful

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:47PM

Looks like Warren destroyed himself. :)

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:44PM

UUUUgh!!! How awful for the poor woman, and all the others! Thanks for the link, I didn't know about this lady.

Date: September 14, 2013 07:48PM

Me either. I want to see this program. Hope it airs again soon.

Date: September 14, 2013 07:51PM

When did Rebecca escape?

Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 09:52PM

She was married to the 85-year-old in 1995, he died in 2002, then as Warren Jeffs was about to make her get married again she escaped in 2005.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:53PM

I saw the dateline program last night and it was disgusting.

One thing that came to my attention is that Warren Jeffs is EXACTLY like Joseph Smith. He is doing EVERYTHING Smith did. At least he is honestly following Smith (this does not mean I agree with it or am not sickened by it). The rest of the LDS follow it blindly but dishonestly in every sentence and word.

It makes both sides equally disgusting just for different reasons. I was awed by Rebecca and giggled everytime she showed up in court wearing red.

Anyone who missed it should be able to view it online at dateline. I often miss the show and watch it the next day online.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:29PM

I hope that there is a special place in hell reserved for men like that. Normally I am tolerant of age differences in marriages, but an 85 year old marrying a 19 year old is ridiculous. I'm glad that Rebecca was able to escape and build a new life for herself. Testifying against Jeffs in court must have been very therapeutic for her.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 09:03PM

In any theological cult fear of retribution is one of the key methods of mid control used. It can be a terrible implementer to force obedience.

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 12:03AM

The red dress was the ultimate F U to wierd Warren . I also got the impression that old Rulon couldn't get it up . Eeewww , yuch , barf . I would have done a Bobbitt on that old piece of crap .

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 16, 2013 08:49AM

No need to do a Bobbit; there's no way that thing works on an 85-year-old.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: September 16, 2013 09:28AM

I found it really upsetting that they couldn't (or wouldn't) prosecute Jeffs for the rape of the 12 year old that they had on audio tape because she refused to testify. You would think the taoe would have been enough to nail him for that one.

Posted by: danl ( )
Date: September 16, 2013 09:57AM

such strange things. It shows how easy it is to get children to believe anything if you start socializing them early enough. It doesn't matter what it is, Mormonism, FLDS, Westboro Wacko's, or any other far out belief system.

The fact that this women got out of that after being programmed her entire life, and also being seperated from society, is an amazing story.

She even mentioned that when she escaped from her compound that she took a job as a waitress. She had difficulty in understanding language because normal phrases people used meant different things to her. She had never conversed with anyone from the outside and she had to learn normal English.

I am amazed at how someone so entrenched could find their way out. She is amazing.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: September 16, 2013 10:36AM

"Musser is pictured after escaping the FLDS compound. She escaped by scaling a wall that surrounded Jeffs' home"

Jeffs was my neighbor in Granite at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. I have owned a ski house there since 1988 and had driven and biked by the Jeffs compound and the Alta Academy so many times on my way to Snowbird, unknowing of the mental, sexual and physical abuse that was going on inside. I always felt sorry for the kids as I saw them come out and cross the SR 209 (Little Cottonwood Canyon Road) to play in the, then, open field and romp in the snow. They seemed so out of place with the boys wearing long sleeve western shirts and the little girls in their prairie dresses . I feel sad now knowing that something should have been done at the time. I can only imagine sitting home with a cocktail while that young woman scaled the compound wall to uncertain safety only a few hundred yards from my house.

The Jeffs women used to shop at the Smith's supermarket on 9400S and 2000E. My girlfriend who worked there as a checker told me that they would come in with their food stamp card and buy groceries, each knowing exactly how much credit was remaining on cards. The FLDS called taking, freely and unapologetically, money from the government "bleeding the Beast". The women weren't legally married, were not employed and had children, so they qualified for government handouts, welfare and subsidies. Entitlements are an otherwise dirty word in Utah.

One evening I was at the Granite Community Council meeting with my attractive, sexy girlfriend when I noticed a tall, thin man speaking to her. I asked her later who he was and she said it was Warren Jeffs. She knew him from the Smith's. I now wish that I could have told him how despicable he is. I may send a letter to the Big House where he now resides.

The feeling of the local Mormons at the time was that they were humble religious people just living the precepts of their religion. Although they were apostates of the Mormon Church, they knew that they were living principles of the god that Joseph Smith espoused. "At least they marry them" characterized the apathy to old men marrying their young nieces as it was vocalized by my apostate girlfriend's TBM father. The Jeffs moved to Southern Utah prior to the now well known apocalypse which came with the end of the Sixth Millennium in 2000.

No Mo
Marshall

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2013 10:41AM by No Mo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.