Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 04:46PM

My neighbor who resigned recently said her last bishop told her the church offered a service she could be set up with:
automatic withdrawl of her tithing!

She's in her late 70s and he said the ward clerk would be happy to set up the paperwork. This way, she didn't have to worry about missing a tithing payment!

Tithing payment on her tiny government pension!

She told them no of course.

Anyone else know of someone either on the program or offered the program?

Church workers? CES or who else?
Just duped little old people?

Can you get off the auto tithing withdrawl without having to close the account?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 05:29PM

Speaking out of total ignorance here, but with what limited knowledge I have of direct deposit/withdrawal, I'm not sure it would work unless one was on a fixed income (which this lady probably was).

I say that because whenever I've had something directly withdrawn automatically it has been a fixed amount, rather than the bank calculating a certain percentage.

Anyone with more knowledge on how banks work care to enlighten me if this could actually work? Just curious . . .

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 06:56PM

My parents pay by automatic payment. I think they have estimated their tithing then make up any difference at tithing settlement.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 07:04PM

Yes, you can set up an automatic debit out of your checking account. It needs to be a set amount, however, but it can be changed.

If an employee has a set salary, they could easily set the amount they want deducted, or they can do it themselves on line.

More and more people are using the automatic debit services, also the autopay from businesses and utilities.
You authorize the utility company, for instance, to deduct the amount of the bill each month. I have this done so I never miss a payment. I receive the bill with "autopay on" listed with the amount and the breakdown. I prefer it. I'm a long time banker from a long time ago, so I am confident in the service and how to fix it if it doesn't work.

Some of these process paper-less, others will send a check depending on the method you use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2013 07:05PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 07:49PM

...BAD idea. Does SL or the Bishop/Stake President pay any overdraft charges if you happen to run short that month?

...Scam-O-Matic. Taking the elderly's last dime. Sounds like elder abuse in the making. You better have Protective Services on speed dial.........

Date: September 15, 2013 07:52PM

ConcernedCitizen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...BAD idea. Does SL or the Bishop/Stake
> President pay any overdraft charges if you happen
> to run short that month?
>
> ...Scam-O-Matic. Taking the elderly's last dime.
> Sounds like elder abuse in the making. You better
> have Protective Services on speed dial.........

The bank cannot make the withdrawal - debit if there are insufficient funds.
It is presumed the account is kept current. :-)

Date: September 15, 2013 08:00PM

...yeah, I forgot that. But it still could tap your account out before the end off the month, and leave you with a zero balance....right?

Date: September 15, 2013 08:07PM

ConcernedCitizen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...yeah, I forgot that. But it still could tap
> your account out before the end off the month, and
> leave you with a zero balance....right?

If you have an automatic debit or auto pay set up, you know the dates, and you are expected (by the bank, etc.) to be financially responsible and have the money in the account to cover it.
Often people use an Overdraft Service, which may be borrowed from the bank, automatically in increments of $100 or $200 with a fee, or a withdrawal from a savings account.

Some people set up a separate checking account with sufficient deposits that only cover automatic withdrawals so there is no chance of extra costs.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 08:02PM

Not even when I worked for the Church. But it could be new.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 08:03PM

Money grubbing bastards.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 16, 2013 04:16AM

ELDER ABUSE big time!!! MormonInc. is so disgusting and has no limits on how low they stoop.

Makes me think of another way they bring in the money big time with their "charity" scam of Deseret Industries. People donate everything and then MormonInc. sells the items for more money than other similar establishments.

Posted by: greenday ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 08:18AM

You must live in Utah or out west. DI is no different than Goodwill, it's not a Mormon thing.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 09:57AM

greenday Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
> You must live in Utah or out west. DI is no
> different than Goodwill, it's not a Mormon thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Does DI provide job training or vocational rehab like GW does?

If so is it morgs only, and do they take tithing out of your pay? Or is it staffed by morg volunteers like everything else?

Reggie
The Nosey StalkerDog™

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 08:28AM

People meeting financial pledges to organizations by automatic monthly withdrawal happens all the time. I donate to several organizations and pay plenty of bills. I have written 8 paper checks so far this year.

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 10:05AM

Wow...Double dipping on someone's retirement. She already paid her tithing ON her income and now they want more.

THUNKS HEAD.

RMM

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 03:01PM

And now, For a limited time only, us Levites at the temple offer a new service where we monthly break in to your pen and steal the firstlings of your flock and prepare the heave offering and the wave offering for you. I'm sure you'll see that it's much more convenient in this way.

In fact, we're hoping to bring the whole tabernacle worship service into the twentieth *cough* *BC* *cough* century! Soon we'll offer circumcisions while you sleep, stonings with no overage charges, and even a manna delivery service---before your next Shabbat or it's free!

Whaddya say? You gonna do your own worshipping like a sucker?

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 04:20PM

The only thing I know of is that you can have your bank automatically send a check to your bishop's address each month. A pain for the clerks because they have to fill out a tithing slip for the check when they process the donation.

Date: November 04, 2014 04:21PM

..."1-800-INSERT SHAFT"....................

Posted by: Smoosher ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 06:18PM

My husband and I had the direct deposit set up for our tithing and fast offerings. We just cancelled it a month ago.
It was announced from the pulpit in our ward near Fort Drum, NY. We signed up because the ward was SO bad about cashing checks in a timely manner that we got screwed over many times.
We initially signed up for the churches direct deposit in 2011 and just changed the amount as my husband got out of the Army and got a civilian job.

The process to sign up requires you to send an email to a church email address and then fill out the form that was sent back to you in a reply. It asked for your bank info and address. Once you submitted it you had to go in your bank account and enter in their info and set the amounts and dates.
You then got email notifications monthly and your yearly contributions in an email at the end of the year.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 06:24PM

I know that we've had COB workers share on this board that tithing can be automatically deducted from their paychecks. I suppose the church can get away with this as a "charitable" organization. But to me, it smacks of being an illegal kickback to an employer.

Posted by: greengobbleyguck ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 06:59PM

I can set up auto payments from my bank online to anyone I want. Tscc included. Ick. Some other churches and financial organizations can set up auto tithe for ya but like the Tscc teaches. It's no of the heart. https://www.easytithe.com/why.htm

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 07:01PM

I have about 40 employees that work for me. Around 12 of them are Mormon.

The payroll company we use allows a person to have their direct deposit go into multiple accounts. It can be either a fixed amount or a percentage.

I know for a fact that some of my employees submitted a church routing and account number and asked that 10% of their check go straight into the church account.

No matter what they get paid, 10% always goes straight to the church.

I hate seeing it, especially when I give out Christmas bonuses. Those people worked all year and I give them a bonus that they should take and use to have a better holiday season and the stupid church takes advantage of it by automatically getting 10% of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 07:02PM by brucermalarky.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 07:27PM

And this is different from white collar crime how?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 07:34PM

It would be extremely simple to set up the auto payments via a debit card.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.