Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tamm ( )
Date: September 16, 2013 05:22PM

I thought I would come on today for the first time in forever and say that this semester has been the most uncomfortable I've had in years. Today I had my professor say that we should all go to the Dan P. talk this week about God and Science, but followed it up with the oh, yeah, anti-LDS material sucks and Dan P. is super awesome and amazing. I wanted to walk out of class. Thanks for eliciting laughs at the expense of your ex-LDS students.

Secondly, I have a teacher who talks non-stop about LDS stuff. Now, I know the class is about religion, but so far we have not gone one day without covering Mormonism. We even had to have a 40 min. discussion on the creation story per the Bible. Seriously. This is not why I took this class.

Thanks you guys for letting me vent a bit!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: victoria ( )
Date: September 16, 2013 05:35PM

So much for academia. I hope you are getting a worthwhile education with your other courses.

Date: September 16, 2013 05:50PM

I think that certain departments are a little bit better than others when it comes to this problem. Normally my teachers have been from out of state and have avoided the problem all together. I long for those days.
This is exactly why I am seriously considering moving for grad school.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: September 16, 2013 06:27PM

Lemme guess. Your instructors initals are B.P. ?

Date: September 16, 2013 06:31PM

The first teacher is C.H., it's his first semester teaching. Second teacher's are B.M.; so close, but no cigar!

Posted by: anon4thispost ( )
Date: September 16, 2013 06:39PM

I teach at UVU. I don't know about the other departments, but mine is a bastion of liberalism, feminism, intellectualism, and a host of other -isms that make most TBM instructors very uncomfortable.

I also received my bachelors from UVU several years ago, and outside of a religion class I took to fulfill a globalism requirement, I never heard any of my instructors make any kind of pro-LDS remark. EVER.

I'm surprised your instructor said those things -- and sorry you had that experience in the classroom. There are channels open for complaints about this.

Date: September 16, 2013 07:15PM

Normally I really love my department for those same reasons. I've mainly been studying under a handful of really amazing people who are open and don't push any opinions on their students.
I've really only had one or two other professors be this blatant about issues. One of them even went on to pretty much give her testimony on the first day of class! That was quite awhile ago though.
I figured I could complain about it, but to most people it'd be such a small issue that I felt it would be making a mountain out of a molehill. It just ruffled my feathers is all.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 16, 2013 07:20PM

you need to COMPLAIN...

Tell the Dean that if you wanted a testimony, you'd go to church. At UVU....a PUBLIC and technically, a SECULAR school, the only thing you want from ALL of your instructors/professors is knowledge and an education...

Date: September 16, 2013 07:25PM

In regard to the testimony thing, it happened over a year ago and I did comment about it when I got up to talk. So we kind of hashed that one out.
What I should say is most of the tiffs I've had is between myself and students and not myself and staff.

Date: September 16, 2013 09:25PM

Omg, I also just remembered that last week the pro-Peterson professor tried to justify Joseph Smith's and Muhammad's marriage to young girls. (sorry for the random bumping)

Posted by: stuntc ( )
Date: September 16, 2013 10:05PM

Come to the U. We had a discussion in class today about epic brewing vs red rock vs squatters. This was an upper division econ class. Good times. :)

Date: September 16, 2013 10:16PM

If I wasn't only about 32 credits from graduating I'd consider it! Think back on all of this I have realized that I should have chosen the U. to begin with. Their program for my degree would have been far superior to what I'm getting (just imo).

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 04:17PM

I went to BYU and I didn't even get any of that except in the religion classes.

Posted by: I work at UVU ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 05:24PM

Tamm--Go to the department chair or dean to make a complaint. It is a valid one. If you don't get any results there, talk to Academic Affairs. I work at UVU in administration--there is no place for this type of faculty behavior at a public, secular institution.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 05:49PM

I had no idea there were so many UVU employees on here. I wonder how many of your names I'd recognize. I held a few student jobs there, but my parents worked there for years, so I'm pretty familiar with the faculty and staff. Interesting...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.