Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 11:16AM

My sister temps for the church. She worked in the Missionary Department in the months following the drop in missionary age. For years and years they've had one fulltime person and one person called as a "missionary" opening and sorting incoming missionary paperwork (senior missionaries, regular missionaries, those rejecting their calls) and sending out the "call" packets. The brethren, in their divine wisdom, saw no need to add staff after lowering the mission age. The surge of applications was not prophesied, seen or revealed. And because the church never makes mistakes, they haven't fixed things by adding anyone to help process incoming/outgoing documents. They wrangled my sister into helping, though she was supposed to be covering the phones. One supervisor would yell at her to answer the phones. Another would yell at her to help the document ladies. Ah, a house of order, indeed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: abinidiburns ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 11:24AM

Sounds like every other evil corporation I've ever experienced.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 11:31AM

This could be OT but are corporations evil because they are trying not to spend money in areas that do not positively effect the balance sheet?

I know that LDS inc is evil because they pretend to be sanctioned by god, but corporations, I'm not sure they are evil.

Posted by: abinidiburns ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 11:37AM

I don't believe in evil, actually.

What I mean by evil is inhuman, impersonal, $$ focused instead of lives and livelihoods, cold, uncaring, ignorant.

This is the experience I have had working for every corporation I have ever worked for.

I worked a t a co-op once and the experience was far better.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 11:45AM

Got it.

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 02:11PM

Corporations aren't evil - just amoral. If they were actually people (not just in the eyes of the law) they would be sociopaths. They can be safely managed, but never expect them to show any consideration to the costs they inflict on real people.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 02:30PM

This is because corporations are by law--and by culture due to the law--psychopaths.

Psychopaths by definition lack any sort of compassion for others; it's all about whatever advantage they can gain for themselves, regardless of the cost to others. And that cost is either not noticed or dismissed. This explains a lot about the the two tiers of the morg, the management and the drones.

The questions I've been wondering about is how psychopathic do the individuals in corporate management become after working in that atmosphere over time? And how much does that extend into their personal life?

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 11:38AM

And like any other corporation, once she collapses under the overwhelming workload, the punishment will be quick and heavyhanded.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 11:53AM

Next they need to ramp up the number of people over at Member Records to handle the increase in resignations, what with all these missionaries pestering inactives who used to just ignore and were ignored by LDS Inc.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:40PM

The "calling" part of the surge is about half over. Within a year, callings will be back to what they used to be, except for more women being called.

The release part of the surge will start about a year from now, and go on for about 18 more months after that. At that point there will be lots of missionary apartments and even lots of missions that will be gotten rid of.

I wonder how they are going to spin the inevitable downsizing, post surge?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 01:21PM

Maybe they will extend missions.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:15PM

Of course, in order to hire more employees for the Member Records Dept., the cult would have to admit they have an increase of resignations.

Naw, they won't do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2013 12:15PM by presleynfactsrock.

Date: September 17, 2013 12:48PM

But they can move existing employees into that department and hire new ones in a more faith-promoting department.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 01:02PM

I'd be more than happy to volunteer for the job in the membership resignation department. How great would that be? They would think I am an ultra TBM with a Mount Rushmore testimony, but in reality, I'd be your totally non-believing secret agent spending enough time in the department to gather the statistics for the ex-mo community.

I've got a close friend at the head of the curriculum department. Maybe I should get him to authorize a volunteer position?

Think what we could do with the statistical figures, if one could access that priceless information? As for me, I'd keep a journal at home and document every day's activities. I'm sure they might make you sign a disclosure contract, but what the heck, what's the worst they could do to me? Throw me in prison? Sue me for all that I have?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2013 01:11PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 01:28PM

It's innovators like you, jiminycricket, that made America great! (Oh, and thanks for helping out Pinnochio too)

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:50PM

"...those rejecting their calls"

This is a thing?! I've never heard of anyone rejecting their call.

Date: September 17, 2013 01:37PM

Rejecting and/or demanding to be sent somewhere else. You haven't heard of this because the brethren don't want people to know it happens.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: September 18, 2013 03:40PM

Back in the 70s when my former hubby went on a mission.....he was called to go overseas to a foreign mission. When the
church doctor looked at his medical form he advised the church to keep him in a stateside mission.

Whereupon, he asked if he could go on a "lamanite" mission.

He'd always had a soft spot for Indians/Native Americans, thought the ladies were quite pretty so he wanted to go on a Lamanite Mission.

The Apostle; Elder Tuttle was more than happy to oblige. He told the missionary he was busy all week long with
young men trying to convince him they were not to go on a Lamanite Mission and could they please, please be sent somewhere else???

Tuttle was over the "Indian" or "Lamanite" missions of the church and was kept very busy with "young men rejecting their mission calls."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.