Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: captainmoroni ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 11:48AM

Dear MormonVoices volunteer,

Slate, an online magazine, has published an article about the need to wait one year after a civil marriage to be sealed in the temple, and some activists' efforts to change that rule. The article is likely to attract comments that are negative toward the church. It can be accessed here: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/faithbased/2013/09/mormon_weddings_why_you_can_t_attend_your_friends_lds_wedding_but_should.html?wpisrc=flyouts

Please leave a positive comment citing your personal experience and feelings regarding this issue and the church. Do not engage in debates; just let your own voice be heard including your love for the church.

As always, keep the tone as friendly as possible. Even those who seem hostile may only be mistaken.

If you haven't yet, please remember to sign up for FairMormon's Front Page so that you can receive a digest of articles about the church each day. Many of the articles could use your perspective and comments, even if we don't send out a formal Call to Action. Subscribe here: http://mormonvoices.org/

Thank you for your help!

The MormonVoices Management Team

FAIR, PO Box 491677, Redding, CA 96049, USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: funny ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 11:55AM

That would pretty much undo the effort entirely and show what a cult TSCC really is.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 01:07PM

I would love to see that :)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 11:58AM

RfM should be a place were we all have a group call to action to counteract TBM responses.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:03PM

You could post the MormonVoices letter in the comments.

Posted by: Z ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:23PM

Absolutely do this. This is easily more damning than any 'debate' could be. I have reservations about advertising for FAIR, but then again, FAIR DOES address that there are many problems with the church and they also prove that they have really really really bad answers to those problems...soo. I'm doing it.

Date: September 17, 2013 12:30PM

great idea!

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:37PM

It's now been posted twice. Thanks. The comments are fun over there!

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:55PM

My favorite comment...

I mean no disrespect to Mormonism, but every time someone says "Sealed in a temple," I wonder how Indiana Jones would escape such a dilemma.

Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 01:04PM

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 01:10PM

I think Indy would break out and run and the temple would come crashing down!

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 01:13PM

when I received my housemates wedding invitation and read the sealing statement I thought it was some hippy dippy phrase they had come up with. Didn't learn about mobots until years later. I always had a vision of zip lock bags and tupperware that contained the bride and groom figurine from the top of the wedding cake. Of course that cake topper might be a model of a temple since you marry the crutch.

Date: September 17, 2013 01:18PM

The letter is now all over the comments.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 01:19PM

I think you could actually sell those temple cake toppers to the really over the top TBM crowd. How much more sacred and speshul than a bride and groom, and how much more truthful about the important party in every Mo wedding!

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 03:19PM

The comments are now to over 1500.

Someone said: "Pay-per-view" weddings!

And someone else suggesting destination weddings to the UK.

And some posters replying to TBM posters that they bash all religions when TBMs are claiming persecution. Good ones.

Date: September 17, 2013 09:14PM

I had a damn fine time today posting comments and doing back-and-forths with a couple of idiots.

Posted by: pale&delightsometimes ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 09:18PM

I might sign up to receive the fair emails so that I can post my own comments on all mormon articles.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 10:04PM

their own misery with stunts like this. So completely out of touch with reality and humanity.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: September 18, 2013 04:46AM

I love that thread so much...

every time some poor sap gets on there and posts his/her pro-Mormon party line everyone jumps on with things like, "oh look, another one that got the email"

revealing their true intentions (protecting the cult) completely deflates anything they say

this is how Mormonism should be treated - and it seems like it's becoming the mainstream view of Mormonism (thanks, Mitt!) - in that southern "well bless your heart" kind of way

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.