Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:01PM

I've been hearing that some missions are starting to take away the cars from missionaries, as well as bikes, to get the members more involved. Because they really don't do enough already.

I know they can use the mall as an mtc eventually but right now they could save even more money by letting the missionaries live at the church.

They already have the toilets, showers, tub and kitchen! Then it would make perfect sense to have them clean the building since they get to live there for free.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:05PM

I'm sure TSCC would charge them rent money out of their $450 too!

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:06PM

A group of us from N. CA went on a bus to sing in a youth conference/General conference.....we slept in the wardhouse.

Showers??? don't remember....

We did go swimming at a member's house.....

I don't have too many memories of that trip. I guess it wasn't that important... :)

KJ

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:08PM

What a joke missions are getting to be. The last couple of times I've seen momo mishies around town they were on foot, not bicycles. I just kind of have to laugh. It makes you wonder if the geezers in the ivory tower are actually just playing a game to see how far they can push it, how ludicrous it can get and still get these kids to play the game.

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:17PM

We've been getting several calls in a row for the last few days on our land line, always in the afternoon.

They must be sitting at the chapel, trying to set up appointments, and then go out visiting in the evenings.

Of course, we never pick up that phone LOL.

Delusional for them to think that anyone would come back to Mormonism after they walked away years go.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 12:47PM

I am laughing loudly at several ideas that you posters came up with.

First of all, mishes sleeping at church makes me go on to invision rows of tidy little bunk beds lined up under the basketball hoop with the smell of yummy bacon rising from the kitchen. Oh wait. There is no cookin allowed in them thare kitchens. Just forget the yummy bacon smell.

Next, tiny, noisy little ones running down the chapel halls who break away from their mum's hands so that they can be the first ones to jump on the mish's tummies who are still sleeping. Now that is true inspiration from the Lard about how to get those teen mishes out of bed in the early hours of the morning..

Then, there is the image of a beautiful, serene Ivory Tower lined with old geezers desks making the Ivory Tower a little less beautiful and serene as they cough, snort and shout loudly so as to be heard by their fellow old geezers.

"Hey there Pres. What is on the agenda today?" screeches one old geezer. "Oh yeah, now that will be nice. A stroll through the City Creek Mall checking to see how the water problem is doin, followed by fish and chips at noon? Sounds wonderful Oh, I so love serving the Lard."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 01:17PM

I want to see missionaries sleepily walking down the halls in their rumpled garments to the shower, towl and shaving kit in their hands. In the background choir members practice and bishops drone on in PEC meetings.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 06:58PM

ooohhhhh, yuck. Memories of being in the mission home years ago.

Date: September 17, 2013 01:15PM

I had to sleep in a meeting house in Italy for about 4 months while looking for an apartment. Members stole our food all the time.

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 01:23PM

I doubt that the chapels would meet the requirements for any of the rooms to be suitable for living space. The windows, for one, are probably not the right size or type for a bedroom. They would have to be replaced.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 01:31PM

What about early morning seminary high school girls?

The mishies will be walking boners in the morning.

It would make a lot more sense to house them in homeless shelters where they can proselytize to those looking for jesus.

Oops, I guess those would not be golden families of white dentists yearning to hear the gospel.

It will have to eventually be tents on the lawn of the meetinghouses, which should work since all of the missionaries should be eagle scouts.

Or, house them in member homes with young SAHMoms, while the priesthood man of the house is out earning tithing dollars.

Date: September 17, 2013 01:57PM

In fact, they really should be minstering to those in Skid Row. But Mormons just don't have the resolve that it takes to look the down-and-out in the eyes and help them.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 02:00PM

Homeless shelters........lol

"You are hereby assigned to labor in the South 132nd Street Shelter mission of The Church Of Jesus Smith of Latter-day Saints". Not to serve, mind u, but rather to recruit. Oh wait. The homeless have no tithing money, so they don't need TSCC

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 02:02PM

Just think of all the extra "service opportunities" this would create for the members!

More chances to clean the church, after all, those missionaries are too busy doing missionary things to bother with it.

An opportunity to develop their culinary talents making meals for the missionaries, since they can't cook in the kitchens.

The privilege of opening their homes up so missionaries can shower and do their laundry.

And the excitement of sharing the gospel with their friends, as they can bring them to church where they will surely feel the spirit with the power of dozens of missionaries there.

Ugh.

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if this actually became a norm.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 02:03PM

Bikes? Showers? Air conditioning?.... those were never even heard of on my mission in Guatemala.

When I was on the coast it was over 100* with humidity maxed out. You would get prickly heat from head to toe. You would put on your cloths and within minutes they were soping wet from sweat.

No bikes, no paved roads, we lived in a 6x6 room without a door that use to be a bar/brothel. There where giant spiders, chickens and iguanas everywhere.

The shower was a pipe coming out of the wall. You wiped your azz and put the paper in a can next to the toilet.

You walked everywhere unless going to the city 3 hours away then you used a bus.

And I would choose to go there any day over serving a mission in the USA...LOL

Date: September 18, 2013 01:52PM

It's almost like you want us to believe that Guatamala is in the Third World.

Posted by: Zelphster ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 02:04PM

Is it me, or does riding around on bikes seem so 1970's. Maybe it makes sense in European countries and 3rd world countries. But in the United States, how do you take someone serious when they aren't even able to handle the responsibility of owning a car. If you are old enough to tell someone to change religions and explain the complexities of Mormonism, you should be old enough to own a car.

Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 02:19PM

In the USA they can be seen biking, walking, and driving. They have options.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 04:31PM

Posted by: captainmoroni ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 02:10PM

They've been doing this for years in the most underdeveloped areas of Latin America where there are no other housing options.

Date: September 17, 2013 02:21PM

I attended a couple of slumber parties at a wardhouse. In the old days of paid custodians, there were sometimes little sleeping/living quarters for them to live in and double as night watchmen.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 07:06PM

All those kids have bedrooms at home. Why even send them away. Let them work from their home ward and live at home. Save a fortune.

Date: September 18, 2013 05:32AM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 07:11PM

No doubt some already do, during meetings.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: September 17, 2013 11:09PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there talk a few years ago about moving missionaries in to members' homes?

Posted by: AnonNow ( )
Date: September 18, 2013 12:04AM

I think in many government jurisdictions it would violate local ordinances (fire codes, etc). If it happens, it won't be permanent.

For example, firefighters have different rules of engagement for residences than they do commercial buildings. This results in a greater willingness to enter a burning residence, whereas if it was a non-residence they might just stay outside, let the building burn, and put their efforts into containment rather than risk a firefighters life to enter the building.

There are other reasons also for treating residences differently. No, the ward houses will never get classified as residences, so if anyone "lives" there, the church will claim it is temporary.

Nevin

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 18, 2013 12:42AM

I don't know. My sister has the missionaries living in her guest house, and is so brainwashed, she is always going off about how much of a blessing it is having them in there. My guess, the church double downs on that blessing, and starts charging the members for the privilege of sticking the mishies in their homes.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 18, 2013 02:22AM

Realistically speaking....

The whole "mission experience" has become a PR mine field. Way too much exposure for rapes, accidents, wild-animal-ripping-off-limbs and other unflattering portrayals of Mormons to reach the media.

Far better to simulate the right of passage as a video game simulation--like pilots have when they pass their test for a license to fly those commercial jets.

They don't have to leave home for an experience of being ridiculed as helmet-wearing suit-wearing bike-riding freaks while trying to teach people that Jesus has a message for them.

And the danger of a negative PR event is non-existent....hmmm, maybe that's what the large view-blocking building is for in Provo. Not for "customer service" missionaries, but for an eventual move to a completely online mission.

If you pass the simulation, you get to contact people all over the world ONLINE!!!!!

You would, of course, have a schedule and assigned territory. You'd have language and be given two hours with Twitter in the morning, followed by two hours of Facebook, then online newspapers in the afternoon, chatting and Instagram.

In person discussions would be handled by the locals. And missionaries would be expected to pay rent for their stall at the MTC, which would be renamed "WorldWide Gospel Communications Center."

Anagrammy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2013 02:24AM by anagrammy.

Posted by: dogsandwich ( )
Date: September 18, 2013 02:55AM

Why not they only use it once a year for baptisms

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: September 18, 2013 05:17AM

That would never happen, because TSCC would have to heat the buildings. I'm sure that they won't heat the buildings for the hours the missionaries are in there. I hope they bundle up good.
Also, there might be liability, such as one of them tripping in the hallway, slipping on the snow, break-ins, damaged property (guys tend to put their fist through walls), plumbing problems, fires in the kitchens.

I would say, "Never."

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 18, 2013 01:36PM

They already do, like most members they sleep through Sacrament Meeting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.