Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrcoffee84 ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 08:55PM

Earlier this week my husband and I took a short, little trip and spent two nights at a hotel to celebrate his birthday. We had a great time. But when I got to the hotel I smelled the sheets and towels, which were clean, but the smell reminded me of the temple clothes and other things they launder there at the temple. It's like a bleach-detergent mix that is used on sheets and towels that are laundered even when they haven't gotten that dirty. I haven't been to the temple in 7 1/2 years, but my brain correlates the unfortunate smell to cult activities inside the temple.
Does anyone else out there know "that" smell I'm referring to? Have you smelled it since you stopped going to the temple?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 09:07PM

Yes, and yes. :)

It always makes me think how the celestial room is just a very white hotel lobby..

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 09:26PM

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 12:09AM

yep...just brought back the memories of having to stay late after youth baptisms to do the laundry at a small temple. The temple ladies were so particular about how everything was folded and organized. Sometimes I thought, "why don't you just do it yourself and let me go home!"

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 12:10AM

Yes! It's one of the reasons I really hate hotels.

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 02:09AM

I always wondered where that smell came from.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 02:43AM

I volunteered in the Draper temple laundry. The towels, shields, baptism jumpsuits, underwear and socks are washed together. Everything that comes from the baptistery is loaded with clorene from the font. Even after washing and drying they still smell like clorene.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 08:51AM

Heavy bleach smell, almost a hospital smell.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 09:28AM

At first glance, I was thinking Skynyrd...

Then, I most certainly figured the topic to be about the popcorn scent wafting into the CR.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 01:48PM

Ha! Good one Breedum!

Maybe I'll work on some alternate lyrics.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 08:15PM

I remember when that song was popular.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 09:07PM

Posted by: TempleSmells ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 11:32PM

Was in bountiful temple last week, building smells like assisted living center. Yuk!! Only wished it smelled like a hotel lobby :)

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 12:37PM

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 12:57PM

Give me 10%, then bow yer head and say "yes."

Posted by: bakagayjin ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 07:44PM

Sorry, just randomly came to mind: "I'll give you 10%, now blow my head, while I say 'yeeeesssss'"

Maybe this was Joe's original idea

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 07:52PM by bakagayjin.

Posted by: TempleSmells ( )
Date: September 24, 2013 01:18AM

Weeder,
Excellent play on words, couldn't stop laughing... Some of those temple workers need to change their diaper a little more often.

Posted by: jim hampton ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 06:37PM

I don't know, I am a chronic bed wetter, so I would not know what that temple smell is like. Sometimes I shit my pants too, so that doesn't help either.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 11:13AM

lolz

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 06:47PM

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 07:58PM

And you'll understand why LOTS of detergent and bleach are necessary. And think about the age group that uses the Temple the most--bad bladder and bowel control.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 18, 2015 08:37PM

It reminded me of the embalming fluid smell in my aunt's funeral home in Mount Pleasant, Utah (1/2 the buildoing was her home). Weird, I know...but that's what I remember.

Ron Burr

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: May 19, 2015 04:47AM

Don't remond me of that. Honestly there is actually nothing to joke about and loud laughter in the temple .... hahaha but once there was a guy - not the typical age group but maybe in his 30's with a bad bowel control and a big brown stripe on his pants in CR. My friend and I had a hard time not to join his Club by peeing our pants because he walked around CR and everybody starred at his ass but nobody said a word. He smiled friendly they smiled friendly back. .. actually it was priceless.

I used to work in a hospital - and there was a cleaner that always reminds me of the templesmell. But honestly there are a lot of smells that disgusts me in this "holy place" and let me cringe when I smell them somewhere else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 04:52AM by newnameabigail.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.