Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Callie ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 09:09AM

I just finished this book about Warren Jeffs and the FLDS. Anyone else read it?

I was surprised to see that Jon Krakauer wrote the forward. Brower is lds,and most Mormons I know think Krakauer is evil. It was a good book, but heartbreaking, as anything about FLDS is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 10:58AM

I've picked "Prophet's Prey" up in bookstores and looked through it - might have to actually buy it now.

As far as Brower not being "anti-Krakauer", I would guess that those (few) LDS who have a deep understanding of FLDS culture, as Brower does, can see that the LDS and Flds DO have much more in common than not - certainly more than the average LDS member would. The church hierarchy sure goes to great lengths to distance the church from the FLDS (no, they're not like us, we have nothing in common with them...) I suppose Brower would see Krakauer as an ally in getting the word out about the FLDS, rather than as an "anti-mormon".

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 11:55AM

I read it soon after it was published and thought it was documented well and a great read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2013 11:56AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 01:11PM

Private investigator Sam Brower devoted years of his life investigating Warren Jeffs and the inner workings of the FLDS. The book was riveting and I could not put it down. Brower documented it all -- sex, power, avarice, religious brainwashing ...

Jeffs sexually victimized male and female children, controlled every aspect of his women and his follower's lives, separated husbands from their wives and children, seized homes and property at will, enslaved young boys into the workforce or cast them out of the sect once they reached puberty.

One of the more interesting parts of the book is When Jeffs went "on the lam" across country, trying to avoid arrest. He visited historic LDS sites as well as more secular attractions like nightclubs in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. He and his favorite wife Naomi dressed in "apostate" clothing, were chauffeured around in high end vehicles, and spent FLDS money to fund their spree.

Once Jeffs was captured he confessed that he was never a prophet, but of course later recanted. He still controls the sect behind prison bars.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.