Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sue ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 12:59AM

I need to notify the Exmormon community that there has been a change made to the program for this year's Conference. Two days ago I received word from Tom Phillips that due to very unforeseen circumstances, he will be unable to attend and speak to us. He is deeply sorry for this, but it can't be helped, and sends his best wishes for an exciting and fulfilling conference for everyone.

As you can imagine, this was disappointing news, but I put my thinking cap on immediately to figure out whom I could approach about taking Tom's slot -- and trust to put together in such a short time the quality content that is always the goal for our Conference presentations. I immediately thought of Richard Packham, since he had already agreed to do a short presentation during the noon hour. Richard was happy to take on the assignment. I was so pleased. I get many emails every year asking me if Richard is going to be there, so I know those who have already registered will be pleased that he agreed to do this. The title of his presentation is: "Truth Will Prevail: All About Proof, Evidence, Fallacies and Lies"

And the icing on the cake is that Richard will still do his presentation during the noon hour! "Free Masonry and the Endowment: A Demonstration of the Similarities". He will be a busy man!

Sue
Conf. Chair

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 02:23AM

And Richard Packham is fun to listen to.

And I gotta say that the conference is as much about socializing as it is about the presentations.

Posted by: AnotherName ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 02:27AM

Does this affect the announcement of the "October Surprise?" Just curious...

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 01:16PM

Posted by: Flyinghigh ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 02:50AM

Disappointing news indeed. Haven't noticed anything from Tom on the forum recently. He has been quite a regular here with great insight and knowledge. Hope all is well with you Tom.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 05:31AM

Has anyone invited Hans Mattson?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 10:46AM

I would like to hear from Tom himself. I hope he posts here to let us know that he was not threatened or intimidated, that he could not appear for a personal reason.

Call me crazy, but the church has ways of getting to people--like the Mafia. Before you dismiss this idea, remember how they shut Mark Hofmann up. All they had to say is that if he chose to remain silent, they would guarantee his family would be safe and sound.

Hofmann told my son this when they were in prison together. Gives me the creeps.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 04:25PM

My initial thought was that it was some form of intimidation, but what seems more likely to me is that he isn't attending on advice of his lawyers. That's purely a guess on my part.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 12:11PM

Isn't the way you are supposed to do these, is wait until the night before, cancel, then give someone a whole fifteen minutes to prepare?

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 12:15PM

Bummer! I was really looking forward to hearing his presentation. Regardless, I hope all is well with Tom, and I am now looking forward to Richard's presentation.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 01:31PM

Bite Me Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bummer! I was really looking forward to hearing his presentation. Regardless, I hope all is well with Tom,

Yeah, it's a real bummer. Nobody is more disappointed than I am - I was originally coming to the conference JUST to meet Tom and hear him. It will be a challenge to try to fill in for him.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 03:48PM

I have to say that your travelogue "An Apostate Visits Mormon Historical Sites" was as funny as any I have ever heard.

With your wealth of information on Mormonism, you will make a wonderful dinner presenter. There isn't a topic on Mormonism that you haven't investigated.

Here he is, people,the walking encyclopedia of all things Mormonism doesn't want you to know.

Anagrammy

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 04:15PM

Richard, I am also deeply disappointed that Tom won't be here. But knowing that you are filling in for him completely makes up for it. I'm very excited to hear more from you. I knew the amount of time you would have at noon would never be enough for me. Thank you for being so willing to step up. I'm excited to meet you in person and hear what you have to say.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 04:16PM

+1!

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 04:23PM

It was disappointing to hear that Tom Phillips won't be there, maybe next year I hope. Regardless, Mr. Packham is one of the best and brightest and look forward to hearing his remarks. I've been thoroughly impressed by his previous addresses and his website. His research has had a huge impact and influence on me and my research and thought processes since leaving the church.

Posted by: MTfounder ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 06:19PM

Mormoney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was disappointing to hear that Tom Phillips
> won't be there, maybe next year I hope.
> Regardless, Mr. Packham is one of the best and
> brightest and look forward to hearing his remarks.
> I've been thoroughly impressed by his previous
> addresses and his website. His research has had a
> huge impact and influence on me and my research
> and thought processes since leaving the church.

+1

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 06:54PM

In the good old days we went to Vegas, not SLC, about the turn of the last century.
One night Richard gave a lecture which as a nevermo was very valuable.
A shower curtain and rod had been removed from one of the hotel rooms. Richard and his assistants demonstrated how the poke your hand through the temple veil business worked.
It was then announced to the crowd that he would do the marriage ceremony and we should all pair up.
My DW was asleep upstairs and I was standing next to this woman about half my age.
I had no choice.
I don't even remember her name and never saw her again but I guess she will show up when I get to the CK to start my planet.
Those were the days.
I volunteered to be dead-dunked in the hotel swimming pool in the name of the then prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley to turn him into an atheist in the afterlife.

God, I miss Vegas.

Can't wait to see and hear you, Richard.

Pay Lay Alol

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 06:59PM

I would have voted to invite Jeffrey Holland. He DID say he was willing to discuss things with us, didn't he?

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: September 23, 2013 07:09PM

Hope I don't regret saying this, but right now I'm miffed.

EDIT: I had to delete what I said because I am really angry right now at Holland and the other 14 Asshats for what they and their predecessors have done to my family for generations. Rant-over.

On a happier note, I think the world of Tom Phillips and trust in the calming words of Jesus Smith. And I agree with Anagrammy, I wouldn't trust LDS INC. for anything in the world. They're capable of the worst.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 07:37PM by jiminycricket.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.