Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Julia ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 03:21PM

How am I just hearing about this??....read about it in Vogue while on the treadmill this morning and almost fell off laughing...I love the southpark guys and what they have done on Mormons in the cartoon and can not wait to see this! Launches February 24th...

The basis is 2 Utah Mormon missionaries sent to Uganda...the previews look hilarious! The first to see it must return and report!!!

Apparently goes a lot into Joseph Smith making it all up as he goes along and how this can make certain gullible people more happy...

From Trey Parker and Matt Stone, four-time Emmy Award-winning creators of South Park comes this hilarious Broadway musical about a pair of mismatched Mormon boys sent on a mission to a place that’s about as far from Salt Lake City as you can get. The Book of Mormon is written in collaboration with Robert Lopez, the Tony Award-winning writer of Avenue Q, and co-directed by Mr. Parker and three-time Tony nominee Casey Nicholaw (Spamalot, The Drowsy Chaperone). Previews begin at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre on February 24, 2011.

http://www.bookofmormonbroadway.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: star1bandit ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 03:36PM

Hahaha xD That's amazing xD

Posted by: Dave in Long Beach ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 04:04PM

I was in NYC two weeks ago and the posters are up on the theater. So, it looks like it is definitely going to happen. I really hope it's funny so it can run for a long time. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 04:05PM

Do folks really give a rat's a$$ about this?

just wonderin'...

Ron

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 05:13PM

... But they recognize good victims to make jokes about.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 05:25PM

and the folks from Avenue Q and Spamalot, it will likely get attention. Provided it's any good, of course....

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 06:26PM

Maybe we could do an exmo out to dinner after

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 06:53PM

This show is among the reasons I argue there is every reason to think a major cultural shift regarding mormonism is conceivable. If interested, please go to the Show website and read the major magazine previews.

If this show turns out to be sustainable long-term, I think it will help to articulate a broad skeptical attitude regarding mormonism. Ron suggest that no one cares, and he's right . . . but this show is potentially another important tool for naive people to be inoculated with healthy skepticism about mormonism on a far larger scale.

Can this work? I suggest an experiment: ask 10 random teenager - 20 something nevermos what DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM means. I bet a majority of them know.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: December 14, 2011 12:08PM

Ron may not give a rat's a** about this Book of Mormon musical personally. But this show is making some major money for the South Park guys. And I know that Ron has a healthy respect for a healthy balance sheet + cashflow statement. So as long as this show is bringing in the dough it's going to continue. Joe Smith may have never found any gold in his part 3 of God's trilogy but the South Park guys have and they'll keep mining it for all they can get.

Posted by: vidar ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:44PM

And for those who do not know what DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM means....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHcjXlS7Cnk

Enjoy!

Posted by: Vera Colvin ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 02:22PM

Don't feel bad. I didn't find out about it until this summer. I did get some Book of Mormon tickets from http://amazonticketsonline.com/The-Book-Of-Mormon and I loved it.

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 02:51PM

My grandaughter turned me on to this and she is 15 year old nevermo who keeps asking me things like...Kolob? What?

The songs are genius. Be sure to youtube them. My favorite is Turn It Off!! Pure genius.

Posted by: ghost.di ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 07:28PM

yeah Turn It Off is one of my favorites!! The other one i like is Two by Two

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 07:47PM

Yes and esp love that line in I BELIEVE about in 1978 God changed his mind about black people.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 03:07PM

and the show selling out through next spring. Touring production is in the works, but from what I hear, the Los Angeles engagement is already sold out.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 03:12PM

Already sold out? They need to do more, more, and more roadshows so we can all go see it. Surely they must $ee the $pirit of this $how of their$. If they don't do more then its "Hasa diga South Park guys" ;)

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 06:54PM

Los Angeles tix haven't gone on sale yet.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 08:22PM

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 09:25PM

Jealous!! I just moved to New York and I've been looking for tickets ever since I got here...they are friggin impossible to find!!

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: December 14, 2011 12:44PM

We were planning to be out there to see it but that won't be happening so I'll need to sell our tickets. Two tickets for the matinee on Sunday, May 20. GREAT seats!

Let me know if you're interested.

TG

Posted by: theimmortalironfist ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 09:34PM

Forget "The Best Two Years", THIS sounds like Mormon entertainment haha.

Posted by: ajax ( )
Date: December 14, 2011 12:13PM

The show is totally awesome!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.