Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 25, 2013 06:28PM

I'm puzzling over this and maybe someone here can help me to understand it?

So I read this.

"This is mostly a rant about the silly verbiage in our faith, and how it gets abused so badly, we don’t even realize we’re doing it. Things like: “I took out my own endowment”. The endowment ceremony in the temple is not fast food. You don’t take it out. The endowment is a gift. Just like a wedding endowment. It’s something you receive, not something you take out and eat when you get home. Instead, it should be: “I have received my endowment”."
http://iamlds.org/?p=46

And I thought it was funny. Mostly because his precious "Gospel" is spoofed as "Fast Food" by his own church.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=024644f8f206c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=2813b4349532b110VgnVCM100000176f620a____#Fasting

But he said, "You don’t take it out. The endowment is a gift. Just like a wedding endowment."

What does that mean? Like a gift of money for "The Happy Couple?" Or is it more like the temple sealing is "another endowment???"

I've read the sealing "covenants" and all they are is a reiteration of the endowment "covenants."

So to Google I go. All I find for "Wedding Endowments" LDS are of couple of interesting links.

http://mormonendowment.com/1218/my-mormon-temple-wedding/endowment-mormon-2

I actually got a little vertigo from the page design of the above link. I felt like I was falling for some reason.

And then this.

https://theschroedershow.wordpress.com/all-things-wedding/endowment-day/

Wow! Show the camera your Mormon club card. How weird is that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: September 25, 2013 11:30PM

let's see now, there is a promise to give everything you have and everything you will have to the church, to sacrifice your life for the church, and to die for the church if necessary. In exchange for, what? I'd say the church is receiving an endowment, not the member.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: September 26, 2013 09:50AM

There was specific guidance I remember from years ago telling members not to use the expression "take out my endowment." Members were instructed to instead say "receive my endowment."

I think that was the point of the text you posted. And yes, I think he or she was comparing it to a wedding endowment of any sort: A gift a young couple receives when they are married.

I don't think it refers to anything LDS- or temple-specific.

Date: September 26, 2013 11:44AM

left4good Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't think it refers to anything LDS- or
> temple-specific.

Thanks. I thought that but then I remembered how weird the "sealing" verbiage was...

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 26, 2013 04:41PM

That's pretty rich. People with insider culty language actually taking semantics issues with language.

I'll address your (The church "your", not the OP) "take out my endowment" issue when you (the church) address my "temple recommend" is not a noun. "Recommend" is a f****ng verb. When they call it a "temple recommendATION," which is what it IS, then we'll talk about taking out endowments. Which is probably not really the best language to use either. It's not an endowment. You don't receive anything. You promise all your stuff and you to the church forever and ever, but they don't actually endow you with anything much except the entitled attitude.

There's another one they use all the time that makes me crazy because it's just incorrect usage, but I can't think of it right now.

Date: September 26, 2013 04:45PM

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: September 26, 2013 06:00PM

"The endowment is a gift."

Absolutely! Everyone knows that a gift costs 10% of your annual income...

Date: September 26, 2013 07:35PM

And yet I am the bitter sinning and offended one. Like a thief, if they gave me so much and I took it, kept it and don't want to give them back anything, I should be happy and gloating over what I got away with from them.

What did they give me? They gave me pieces of paper that weren't money for my time. They gave me places to worship them in Jesus' name and wanted me to clean up after I had worshiped.

They gave me a family life intolerant of anything other that their worldviews.

They gave me hand signals, secret pass codes and the chance to spend a few minutes in their heavenly waiting room. Loved the mirrors.

When I took out my own endowment I obviously didn't take enough out. I didn't take out all of my hopes and dreams for my future life and roll them up into LDS Inc.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 01:10PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> When I took out my own endowment I obviously
> didn't take enough out. I didn't take out all of
> my hopes and dreams for my future life and roll
> them up into LDS Inc.

PLEASE!!! It is _RECEIVED_ my endowment, not "when I took out my endowment."

Sheesh. So some reverence while being fleeced!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 26, 2013 10:11PM

It's a shell of semantics wrapped around quackery like a burrito with no filling.

Date: September 27, 2013 11:50AM

And the endowment is a beautiful white burrito of a gift that is more hollow than holy and more incomprehensible than commendable.

It is the stuff of junk food for the human soul.

Bow you head and stuff this vacuous burrito into your mouth.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 12:06PM

kinda like "I got MY master's at (x)"

as if there was one on reserve for the recipient, sitting on some shelf, waiting to be claimed...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2013 12:08PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 12:59PM

There is NO l♡ve... the word is nowhere to be found in the wedding ceremony. You don't even make vows to your spouse, you make 'em to the church! Some racket.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 02:52PM

I bet they mean "dowry," not "endowment."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.