Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 06:34PM

Anyone else seen this? Saw it on another board.

These girls are being praised for choosing to let their teammates down after choosing to join and for expecting everyone else to adjust to fit their beliefs. Weird.

Luckily at least one commenter gets it right.

http://ldsliving.com/story/63453-lds-cheerleaders-kicked-off-squad-for-refusing-to-compete-on-sunday

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elee ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 06:41PM

Big surprise, there.

I wonder if Caitlyn and her mother would be equally supportive of 7th Day Adventists or Jews who couldn't compete on Saturdays. I suspect they would not be.

These 2 girls expected nothing less than preferential treatment. I am of the opinion that if you join a team, you conform to their expectations. If you can't or won't, you should not feel entitled to participate and to have the team change for you. Even if it "just" means creating routines where the girls wouldn't be necessary. That isn't team-building. It isn't working together towards a common goal. It's asking for special treatment. It's ludicrous!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:17PM

This situation reminds me of a similar, tho reversed, situation at BYUH.

Young men and women from the Pacific Islands travel to Hawaii to attend BYU, so that they can be exposed to true principles and high standards while attending college. Their parents send them off willingly, confident that the Lord's priesthood will maintain the church standards for their kids in their new living and working environment.

Then the kids get jobs at the PCC, and become dancers on the hula troupe team. Only THEN do they find out that the PCC and the church expects them to travel to Waikiki to dance for the tourists. On Sundays!

Cuz it's good for the lord's work, doncha know...

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 06:48PM

I am for accomodating people's religious beliefs as far as is convenient, but on the other hand, if you take a job or other position that requires you to work on Sunday, you should talk it out to begin with. If they can't accomodate you without inconveniencing others, then you have to choose. My sister is a nurse, She had to work on Sundays on occasion. My dad worked for the railroad. Ditto. My BIL is TBM. He works for the airline and not only has to work on Sundays, he often works on holidays. So does his wife. If you aren't willing, take another job.You can ask for consideration, but you have to accept that it cannot always work out for you without causing a problem for others.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 06:59PM

How come these two high school girls didn't know that there can be events on Sundays where they are called upon to cheer?

Posted by: PackLeader ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:51PM

They did know... they've just been pampered before, so they expected the rest of the squad to accomodate their little butts. It said something to the effect of, "Last year, the girls just did different cheers..."

There's another issue here, I'd bet. Bad Vibes. The rest of the cheer squad was tired of these twos "holier than though" attitude, I'd bet.

Good for the coach.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:08PM

So why bother to join in a team event if you can't be there two or three days a week? It makes no sense.

Date: February 02, 2011 07:53PM

and not wanting to compete if it violates their religion. I however do get tired of hearing the sob stories when these people come to the sad realization that the whole world doesn't adjust to fit a Mormon world view (even sometimes in Utah). I think many LDS real buy into the idea that they will be 'blessed' for doing what they think is 'right' regardless of any thing else.

They've heard the stories over and over in SS class and conference. A person pays tithing although they're broke and— wah la — a thousand dollars appears in a brown paper bag on the doorstep. A person refuses to play on Sunday— miraculously the game day is changed and the person is made team captain by coach for having integrity.

Unfortunately much of the rest of the world runs on commitments made and actually paying bills before paying your church. Must be such a disappointment for those expecting a reward for obeying the Bros.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 07:43PM

The key word here is "reasonably." Schools must accommodate, but they are not required to contort themselves. The school accommodated the girls' desire to not compete on Sundays. But oh what, they're not available on Mondays as well? (...the only day of the week that the coach could schedule the gym.) That steps over the bounds of what is reasonable. And at no point were these girls denied the opportunity to be cheerleaders! They simply were not able to be on the competition team.

Teachers tend to run into this problem most often with the JW's, who do not celebrate holidays. If JW children do not care to participate in the holiday party or to make a Mother's Day card, fine. I will find something else for the child to do without any academic penalty whatsoever. But that doesn't mean that I stop the rest of the class from enjoying a party, making a card, etc. We will accommodate religious children, but they also need to understand that the world does not revolve around their religious practices.

Maybe these girls should watch the movie, "Chariots of Fire." Now THAT was a sacrifice made in the name of religion!

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 08:20PM

which day the Sabbath is.

She was breaking the sabbath by cheering on Saturday. Mormons believe they are the restored church and yet they can not even get the Sabbath Day correct.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 08:25PM

Hypocrites! Saw the vid on KUTV Channel 2. Lots of pictures of the girls in sleveless tops, exposed bellies & immodest poses flashing legs & ass. I guess that's OK as long as it's not on Sunday.

Posted by: runner ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 11:31AM

I agree with stillanon. I can't count how many times Mormons stand for one thing and then turn around and break some other "Mormon rule".

The family across the street from us, eats out a lot on Sunday, but when my boy goes snowboarding on Sunday, he gets harassed at school by their boy. Crazy!

My daughter plays volleyball. I was told by another parent that if my daughter wants to play volleyball in college she must participate in club volleyball. This club plays on Sunday. This parent went on to tell me about a very talented girl who refused to participate because of playing on Sunday. She went on to be rejected by BYU's volleyball team. Why? Because she did not participate in club volleyball. She ended up playing for the U.

This also reminds me of the stories of BYU girls refusing to drink coffee the morning after they slept with their boyfriends.

These two girls are just trying to get attention, in my opinion.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 09:35AM

I've heard Yost speak at a couple of huge firesides for LDS military. He is a very nice man and great leader. He hates slackers and has a special place reserved in some mental brig for LDS guys who whine about working on Sundays and working long hours that take them away from their families. He maintained that servicemen well know what they're getting in to. Same here.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 09:39AM

“I don’t understand why it is happening,” said Judy Cutler, Caitlyn’s mom. “It was so devastating to the girls.”

Are you stupid, Judy? Ya, let's punish the whole team by being 2 short every time the squad competes on Sunday. That's a much better solution than canning them and getting quality replacements.

Dumb wankerette.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Mr. Dufayel ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 12:24PM

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 12:35PM

"LDS Living has removed the article titled “LDS cheerleaders kicked off squad for refusing to compete on Sunday” and its associated reader comments. This has been done out of respect for the parties involved, who, due to negative and hurtful reaction they have received, asked that it be removed."

Poor babies probably didn't get the sympathy they were looking for. It's no fun to play the persecution role if everyone thinks you deserve it!

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 12:37PM

Doesn't the excerpt from their website (posted below) just ooze passive-aggressive righteous indignation?

Just another reminder that defending Mormonism is NOT about open dialogue and freedom of speech. It's about controlling dialogue and the elimination free speech as necessary. And when you cannot micro-manage the content and control the discussion, you pack your bags and go home.

From their website:
> LDS Living has removed the article titled “LDS cheerleaders kicked off squad for refusing to compete on Sunday” and its associated reader comments. This has been done out of respect for the parties involved, who, due to negative and hurtful reaction they have received, asked that it be removed.

> LDS Living is disappointed that the reaction reached the fervor it did and regrets the hurt caused to people on both sides of the story. By running this article, LDS Living intended only to increase discussion about a choice and situation we know comes up regularly throughout the Church. It was not our intention to comment on the correctness of the choices made by either the girls or the school.

> LDS Living always hopes its articles and discussions will provide information and enlightenment to our readers, and that readers will respond respectfully to anyone who may be involved in such stories.

Date: February 03, 2011 01:16PM

Geez, I'm sorry, girls! (I lie.)

Mine was the last comment, and yes, it was negative. But out of a few dozen comments, fewer than a handful were negative. I suppose they expected that everyone would rally to their self-serving article.

It may have been because I obliquely called them "schnooks" instead of heroes, suggesting that Admiral Yost might have thought of them more as schnooks than heroes. He gave a talk to a large military fireside in a Herndon, VA, stake center in which he said that people should not whine about working on a Sunday when they know what they've gotten themselves into. I also called them manipulative, using some of Badseed's words, believing that the girls were trying to have others fit their needs and leaving their teammates in the lurch.

I guess I hurt their tender feelings. My bad? I hope so. They're schnooks.

Date: February 03, 2011 01:23PM

I mean, how dare I not have a lock-step opinion? I was going to comment on another article, but I'm not allowed to log in.

Date: February 03, 2011 03:36PM

"LDS Living is disappointed that the reaction reached the fervor it did and regrets the hurt caused to people on both sides of the story. By running this article, LDS Living intended only to increase discussion about a choice and situation we know comes up regularly throughout the Church. It was not our intention to comment on the correctness of the choices made by either the girls or the school."

Really? I doubt that LDS Living even cares much about being balanced in it's views of stories like this. I personally think they thought the story— which seems to support the cheerleaders— was aimed at TBMs who based on the comments side with the girls.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.