Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 30, 2013 09:50PM

Tell us of your mormon missionary sightings.

Here's mine ....

=======================================

Today at Colorado Springs public library about 11:00am using government computers to type some crap on a mormon website.
It looked like they were there wanting to be seen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Z ( )
Date: September 30, 2013 10:22PM

They have been visiting somebody in my apartment complex a few times a week for the past month or so...

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: October 01, 2013 02:43PM

I can often see two or three sets of male missionaries when I drive down Cherry Street in Long Beach. This is within about a mile. I imagine they must have an apartment around there, but I also think that they are hitting all the Latino families in the neighborhood. Lots of future tithe payers!

Posted by: dissonanceresolved ( )
Date: October 01, 2013 02:58PM

About 6 at an International Festival in my town this past weekend. The local ward had a booth that served as their home base. I waved at the members I recognized and walked on past.

I always dodge into a store if I see the mishies when I'm out and about. I still get angry whenever I talk about LD$ to anyone. Don't need to dump on the little mishies.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: October 01, 2013 03:58PM

Well, I thought I was done with the missionaries after my mentioning problems with church history as being the reason I attend another church, but last night a new set came. This time it was the sister mishies. They were actually very nice to talk to. I left them at the front door to chat with my daughter and son's girlfriend and after a while they left. I told them they could come by anytime, however, they should know that we all attend another church, my daughter sings in the 6th grade worship band, and we are all pretty much happy there. We'll see what transpires.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: October 01, 2013 04:00PM

Every effing Monday at my local Walmart. Around a dozen of them. Guess which day I avoid shopping?

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 01, 2013 10:38PM

four of them. Would have slipped them a couple bucks or something, but it was evening rush, and got carried away with the tide.

Posted by: questionmysanity ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 02:01AM

Every Monday at walmart.... Can't avoid them, I work every Monday!!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 02:13AM

They've taken to stalking my daughter when she walks her dog on the wooded trail around her apartment.

She's extremely annoyed by them. They know she's an exmo (resigned), but they show up every week.

She lives less than a half mile from the mission home.

I told her to call the MP and tell the mishey's to leave her alone. She's a bit shy, and doesn't want to do that.

I thought about having a T shirt made for her with something that will cause mishey's to avoid her. Any ideas?

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 01:45AM

MormonThink.com
"Where Fiction Fails and Truth Prevails"

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 05:21AM

The MP needs to know it if your daughter is annoyed, especially if she anticipates filing a police report.

No one should have cult representatives showing up so often during dog walks.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 05:33AM

I would call the MP on her behalf. I would remind him that continued harassment after resignation subjects the church to lawsuit.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: October 04, 2013 11:13PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would call the MP on her behalf. I would remind
> him that continued harassment after resignation
> subjects the church to lawsuit.

To me, it sounds like stalking.

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 11:48AM

Posted by: spotter ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 04:25PM

Or is it in American Fork?

Either way, it was a threesome of young sisters. I had to look twice to confirm the black name tags. I didn't think they were real missionaries at first because the "frump factor" was pretty low. They were wearing brighter colors than I though were allowed and the skirts were just below knee level.

I really wanted to ask if they were tripled up because there just wasn't room for all the new missionaries. Alas, my wife would have been pissed if I had "started something about her church".

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 09:25PM

Saw two this very afternoon at Beardsley and 83rd, Peoria, AZ (Northern Phoenix area). Bicycles, helmets, backpacks, white shirts, black ties, nametags...the works. Southbound on 83rd, approximately 1:30 PM.

Posted by: justemilynow ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 09:54PM

In the international district in Seattle I saw a pair of sister mishies at a dim sum restaurant. One was Asian and they both had name tags in either mandarin or Cantonese. They were eating with a Caucasian couple that looked like members. It was my first sighting of mishies in an urban area of Seattle. I usually spot them on bikes in the burbs

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 10:58PM

Live in Sandy. Had the ward trained to leave us nevermo's alone. In the past 2 months we've had 4 sets stop by. 1st time, my 12 year old daughter was outside playing with her friend. They asked them if their parents were home. My great kid, knowing I wouldn't be happy to see them told them "no". They asked when to come back & my daughter told them a time that she knew we wouldn't be home. She followed up saying "don't waste your time- we're Christians". One Elder said "we are too" . My daughter rolled her eyes & said "riiiight". They left. A month ago, I was mowing my lawn & turned to mow back down a strip to the sidewalk. 2 mishies were standing there. I ignored them & mowed away. When I turned to come back they were still there-one waved his arms & when I looked up he gave me the "cut" sign to turn off the mower. I pointed at him & then his comp & then pointed down the street. They left. 2 weeks ago, I just came home from work & was changing clothes. I heard the doorbell ring at 4:30. I continued to change. Then- rapid knocks on the door- like cops do on TV. By the time I got changed & walked out to the porch- the mishies were riding their nice bikes (one gold & one blue)
at the end of my driveway. I asked "did you need something".
The kid said "yes, we knocked on your door". I replied- "I know- I was in the bathroom". The kid said "Sorry". I said "what can I do for you?" He said -"we just wanted to know when was a good time was to share a message with you." I said- "about your church?" he said Yes. I said "Never" & stared at them. They put their heads down & rode away. If the Sked keeps up- they'll be back next week. I'll be ready.

Posted by: decieved for years ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 11:23PM

Two mish-bots were sitting in a restaurant in downtown Layton, when SIX more mish-bots showed and they proceeded to have a group chow down at Hibachi Buffet. Almost looked normal had it not of been the 1950's dress and haircuts. Oh this was about 5 weeks ago. The above mentioned eatery has since closed. Might be an "OMEN".

Posted by: maxxedout ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 04:57AM

Melbourne CBD at least once a week. There is a busy Chinatown and i see them chatting to people usually asian. I assume the CBD is their area. Occassionally they gather at Hungry Jacks (burger king) and kick back as a whole district

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2013 04:57AM by maxxedout.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 07:46AM

Two female missionaries were talking with, what they thought was a potential investigator, in a shopping centre. They were walking along with this young lady as they were talking and they wandered, oblivious, with her into a shop. You should have seen their faces when they looked around themselves and saw they had walked into a branch of Ann Summers!

Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 08:05AM

Sister mishs pulled up into a grocery store lot, parked horribly crooked, making the spot next to them unusable. They got out of the car, both well dressed & pampered-looking. Driver was overweight & blonde. I wanted to take a picture of the horrible parking she did & show it to y'all, but I had a life to live.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 08:54AM

See them riding their bikes on Fury's Ferry Rd. in Martinez, Georgia, quite frequently. Fury's Ferry is a 55-mph highway with no shoulder, jammed with cars during the morning and afternoon. The are a hazard, and everyone else is a hazard to them. Somebody's going to be killed someday. It must be a difficult ride on a day when both the heat and humidity are in the 90s, and your riding in slacks, dress shirt and tie.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 10:23AM

At our local grocery store just a few days ago. Four elders in white shirts and ties got out of their car a few spaces down from where we were parking. My teenage son turned to me and said "You are not allowed to talk to them." I must have given my son a look because he immediately amended that to say "unless they talk to you first." Alas, they went about their shopping and didn't bother me. Because I have a lot of opinions about how they should go home, go to school, make out with their girlfriends and quit wasting their time and annoying people.

Posted by: Nole Girl ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 11:17AM

Three weeks ago I had just landed in Amsterdam and after collecting my bag stepped outside the airport to take a quick break before going to my hotel. I was visually assaulted by a gaggle of about 30 mishies - dark suited, white shirted, tied and nametagged mishies. They collectively glared and stared at me because I not only was wearing a rather large, ornate Celtic cross, I was (gasp!) also smoking a cigarette. I would give anything to hear their overall descriptions of the city. I am not sheltered, am anything but a prude and saw things I could never have dreamed of there. Those poor white bread boys were in for the shock of their lifetimes.

Posted by: Nat the Nevermo ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 12:03PM

There's currently at least one pair of missionaries in the Peoria, IL. There was one time I saw them when I was driving and yelled "hi, Mormons!" out the car window (they just laughed and waved at me), but other than that, I haven't had any interactions with them.

Posted by: Nat the Nevermo ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 12:04PM

And of course I meant to say "the Peoria, IL area." I live in a small nowhere town near Peoria, and that's where I've seen them.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: October 04, 2013 10:37PM

I hate to admit this, but the last time I came across Mormon missionaries I crossed to the other side of the street to avoid them.

I never used to be like this. I never used to be this judgmental.

I hate what I've become since moving to Utah.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: October 04, 2013 11:07PM

One problem, I'm living on the opposite side of the country now.

The mishies visited the home I sold three years ago looking for me. They were in the ward area where I had resigned 13 years ago. Goes to show that ExMo names are kept in a data bank for future reference.

Anyway, my wonderful gay friend decided to give them a run for their money. He refused to divulge where my son and I were living now. He said that for every question they asked asked, he asked the mishies one. They really got an earful about the Morg stance on gays, and how he and his partner had found a very accepting church. He also emphasized that Jesus walked with all of the outcasts of society. He told me in an email that the women were very persistant, and finally had to be asked to leave, but not without with a lot of food for thought that they hadn't expected to hear.

What's funny is that I sold my home to a lesbian couple. Too bad they weren't home, too.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 04, 2013 11:34PM

Sister missionaries left their mormon BUSINESS card on my doorstep when I was out about two months ago. There was a phone number where they could be reached. Very curious as to how they got my address as I have officially resigned.

I could not decide if I wanted to call them and have a "friendly" discussion about my views of young people being brainwashed starting when they are still in diapers to go on missions, and why I believe that only mature adults should be out on missions.

Putting my feet up with a drink and a good book won out over dialing their number.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: October 04, 2013 11:41PM

I am no longer a member and have told them for years not to come here and yet, the other day, while I'm working (I work from home) guess who shows up at the door, again?

No really, guess, I'm sure it's hard to figure out!

Ok, you got it. Two misshies, sisters this time. "We're new in the area and wanted to come by to say hi," blah, blah.

Sorry, been there, done that, may have been caught once, but not stupid enough to do it again.

Even while I was still active (over 12 years ago, true) I made it very, very clear that I expected anyone to make an appointment before showing up at my door! It's so damn rude to just drop in on someone like that.

Honestly, if I hadn't been working, especially since they were sisters and I was too in another life, I probably would have had them come in to chat (have so many interesting things to chat about with them!) except that I was IN THE MIDDLE OF WORK!

I had a ton of stuff I had to get done on a deadline and I was just really annoyed that they were taking time out of my day. I wouldn't have answered the door at all except that I was expecting Fed Ex. They weren't Fed Ex.

So, here is what I told them: "My family is doing great, thank you. No, we are not even remotely interested in getting back into the money grubbing, mind controlling cult that I barely escaped with my sanity; but thank you so much for asking. Don't come back."

They were a little flustered and left very quickly. I almost might have felt bad except that I had too much work to do to think about it.

Was I too harsh? I don't think so. I didn't yell, I was polite and kept a pleasant tone of voice the entire time. I even smiled nicely at them as I told them not to come back.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: October 04, 2013 11:51PM

They were chatting with an elderly woman (not a patient) who seemed to be giving them a lesson in something. The two mishies looked bored, slightly bewildered and trapped. Nice turnabout.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.