Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: solost ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 01:43PM

I've been looking into going to a Unitarian Universalist Church. I know very little about it, but it seems to reflect believes that are similar to mine (liberal, accepting of all walks of life, don't believe in Satan or punishment, ect). However, I've seen some say that it is a cult, which worries me greatly. I don't want to leave one cult just to join another! But I noticed most of these claims came from other churches, and not unbiased individuals without an agenda. This is the best place I could think to go for a sane and logical evaluation.

What are your thoughts on Unitarian Universalism? Any personal experiences? Should I be very cautious? Or is it pretty safe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 01:51PM

It doesn't pass the cult test. No central leader, no dogma (you can believe what you want), no rules against reading stuff that is critical of them, no confession, no indoctrination.

They have two beliefs, really that they are firm on:

1. Social justice and equality for all

2. They don't preach there is a heaven, but if you personally believe in heaven, they believe that all will get there.

The UU services that I have attended (not joined) have been very spiritual and enlightening. AND there's coffee and food with a social hour after each service.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2013 01:54PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 01:52PM

A U-U minister offered to conduct the funeral
services for my late son, at a time when I was
practically penniless and on the verge of being
homeless.

No sectarian prayers; no drivel about any afterlife;
no passing of the offering plate for church contributions.
Just wisdom, compassion and much needed condolence.

The minister told me how he was 5th generation Unitarian
and how his great grandfather and grandfather had seen
the denomination slowly evolve from a Christian group
to something like an inter-faith group. He and his father
had seen it evolve even more, to become essentially
atheist (but with respect for its theistic heritage).

I never heard a bad word spoken against them -- except by
Mormons, who had the nerve to call them "a cult."

UD

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 02:04PM

I know we're not supposed to "promote" any other religion so this might be too much. I hope not, since you asked. However, finding UUism probably saved my life. I have been very very involved in it for over 10 years. Even here in Memphis, former Mormons seem to find it. Somewhere along the line I realized I wasn't embracing it so much for what it was not (mormonism) but for what it is. I love teaching the religious education classes to children and teaching them that they are on their own personal spiritual journey and that no two journeys are the same. And they have to figure out what works for them. And I love teaching them the 7 basic UU principles. I so often think, "damn, I wish I could have raised my kids on this stuff."

http://uua.org/beliefs/principles/index.shtml

The social environment, however, is what draws me and most UUs will admit that too. And it's ok. We're not looking for another "true" church (since there isn't one). It's where I can find like-minded people, most of them very educated, and can hear sermons that are applicable to my life. This one, not the unknown life-beyond life. And we have a lot of fun.

No two UU churches are alike, so unlike Mormonism, I can't tell you for sure what you'll find. But don't be afraid to try it if it appeals to you.

Posted by: swiper ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 02:10PM

solost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, I've seen some say that it is a cult,
> which worries me greatly. I don't want to leave
> one cult just to join another! But I noticed most
> of these claims came from other churches, and not
> unbiased individuals without an agenda.

It's definitely not a cult, but quite the opposite. The only ones who accuses it of being a cult are fundamentalist Christian groups that considers everyone else but themselves as being part of a cult.

> What are your thoughts on Unitarian Universalism?
> Any personal experiences? Should I be very
> cautious? Or is it pretty safe?

It's completely safe. I teach a social justice class to 6-8 graders at the local UU church.

UU seems to attract A LOT of ex-Mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2013 02:11PM by swiper.

Date: October 02, 2013 02:24PM

Informative videos

Voices of a Liberal Faith - Unitarian Universalists
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezp1W2HKlU

Unitarian Universalism: You're a Uni-What?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st5Pv3lsG60

Why I Am Unitarian Universalist (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15R3EFI3BJU

Why I Am Unitarian Universalist (Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz-m4By4yHo

Standing on the Side of Love at the UUA General Assembly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEwEB8F4aGs

People of Faith, Standing on the Side of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz8omkCTvQA

Sample sermons:

Mormonism? - Rev. Marlin Lavanhar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x23nYF9J2N4

Gay Marriage - Rev. Marlin Lavanhar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJTF_ZnMGmA

Come Home - Rev. Tamara Lebak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI_h6EPSvP0

Who Are Our Neighbors? - Rev. Tamara Lebak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMl6EyZisPM

Extremism... is No Vice? - Pastor Randy Lewis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZXZqpN23bg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2013 02:26PM by swiper.

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 02:20PM

Currently reading Parenting Beyond Belief and they suggest a UU church for religious education and if you desire a community. Seems like a good place.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 02:35PM

UUs are as far from a cult as you can get and still call it a religion. Their major themes are choosing your own path to your spirituality, social justice, respecting the environment, respect for diversity.

The Universalist part is more traditionally Christian, but they believe that everyone will be reunited with Christ, hence Universal. There are a few Universalist congregations, but Unitarianism is more common.

I've always joked that their two fundamental beliefs are coffee and committees. It's a pretty safe space for an Exmo to rebuild his/her spirituality.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 03:01PM

It was a very supportive environment. I found a philosophy that resonated with me, and I made many friends, some of whom I still associate with today. If I had to self-identify, I'd probably say that's my spiritual home. But I haven't attended for years.

When my life got hectic and I needed my time for other things, I stopped going. Nobody harassed me. Nobody threatened my salvation. Nobody got offended. And I didn't lose any friendships over it. (BTW, that's where I got to know NormaRae).

I think that some people identify it as a cult for one reason: They disagree with its teachings (or rather it's lack of emphasis on Christian Doctrine).

I classify an organization as a cult only if it's deceptive, controlling, mind manipulative, or abusive.

I look at the UUs as a great "halfway house" for recovering from or exiting religion. Nobody will harass or pressure you.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 04:45PM

Those were good times. We sure made some lasting friendships. Your girls were so little then and now you talk about them being in college. Blows me away.

I hope someday the UVUU can be more centrally located. It's a long way from the North end of the Valley. But it was a good safe place to transition. Hope to see all of you again in the near future.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 03:09PM

Why don't you join Habitat for Humanity or some group that actually helps people? What about a hiking club?

Date: October 02, 2013 03:30PM

ozpoof Wrote:
> Why don't you join Habitat for Humanity or some
> group that actually helps people? What about a
> hiking club?

UU do a lot of charity work and social justice projects.

Posted by: solost ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 04:05PM

I am looking into hiking clubs. Went to one yesterday and it was great! And I definitely am interested in volunteer work. But I've been feeling spiritually void for a while and wanted to see what was out there.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 04:37PM

I am also interested in it, because it seems to meet my definition of "the good things about religions." That for me would be fellowship, charity and social connections with good people.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 06:44PM

Unitarians have a bunch of UU jokes.

Example: UU takes a guest to service. After the sermon the guest whispers to the UU "I don't agree with half the things she said."

UU says "That's great. You will fit right in."

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 06:49PM

I like the UU's. And you can come and go as many times as you wish without being stalked or shunned.

Posted by: Canuckguy ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 06:54PM

I think this cult idea about UUs is a confusing of them with the Moonies, who officially call themselves the Unification Church. But then on too many Mormons such distinctions are lost since they are the only ones with the truth anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 10:45PM

In my reading about the historical background of Unitarianism, I found that the Eastern European Unitarian movement was considered a cult for a very long time.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Unitarianism

Posted by: cc halo ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 07:46PM

I think it was here that I read the joke: What do you get when you cross a Mormon and a Unitarian? A: Someone who goes door-to-door, but doesn't know why.

Posted by: Backseater [30+ year UU] ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 09:17PM

I heard the same one but it was a JW instead of a Mormon; it works either way:
Someone who knocks on your door for no apparent reason.

A couple more:

How do UU prayers begin?
"To whom it may concern..."

What do UU's do it you tick them off?
They burn a giant question mark in your yard.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 12:33AM

Why are Unitarians disorganized hymn singers? Because they're simultaneously reading the next stanza, just to make sure it's politically correct.

An arsonist was torching various religous buildings in a town and the fire department couldn't keep up with things. The rabbi came running out of the Synogogue with the Torah scrolls in his arms. "The building's lost, but thank God I saved the Torah!"

The Lutheran pastor came running out of his burning building, his arms full of sheet music, CDs and DVDs. "We can't save the church, but I saved the music!" And the Episcopal priest came running out, saying, "Thank the Lord I saved the vestments and the Eucharistic chalice and set!"

Down the street, the lady UU minister was seen running out of her burning church, pushing the copier machine with the coffee maker on top of it.

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 07:57PM

Can I wear jeans and a t-shirt to a UU church? I think I might go this Sunday.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 08:00PM

you can wear whatever the hell you want!

Date: October 02, 2013 11:17PM

Date: October 03, 2013 12:33AM

I just came back from my mid-week Baptist service in jeans and a flannel shirt.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 07:57PM

And if you're into Jesus, you could go to the UCC, which (it is said) stands for "Unitarians Considering Christ." ;o)

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 09:47PM

wine country girl Wrote:
> And if you're into Jesus, you could go to the UCC,
> which (it is said) stands for "Unitarians
> Considering Christ." ;o)

And, although that sounds just a touch humorous,
there is a long and interesting history behind the
Unitarian interest in Jesus. Way back in Puritan
times, they concluded that the biblical Spirit of God
and the fellow called Jesus, were not two personages
in a triune godhead. That might sound more than a
little bit Jewish, but the Unitarians believed that
they could find support for their conclusion in the
pages of the Christian bible.

At about the same time, the Universalists were coming
to the conclusion that folks other than Christians
did not have to expect eternal damnation, just because
they did not accept Jesus as God. At one point in his
early years, Joe Smith's dad held those heterodox views.

So, it's rather logical why the Unitarians and the
Universalists found so much common ground that it became
practical for them to merge into a single sect.

What is more remarkable, however, has been their
continued development in modern times, away from what
might be termed the Jewish or Masonic affirmation of
the biblical God. While the modern UU folks did not
go so far as to deny the monotheistic biblical God,
they found additional common ground with other religious
groups that did not profess the Bible, Koran, etc.

It has only been a short step from the finding of
such inter-faith common ground, to the more interesting
step, of seeking common ground with religious atheists --
not just with Buddhists and spiritually inclined free
thinkers, but with folks who find no use for the
supernatural within a purely social implementation of
typically religious fellowship, common cause, life
celebrations, etc.

So -- where does Jesus end up, at this latest turn in
the progression of UU transformations? Do his sayings
or reported activities provide anything useful to the
modern atheist or agnostic?

I've had some interactions with UU folks here in Hawaii
over the past few years. They tend to consider the
possible relevancy of Jesus in ways that most Christians
and Jews would probably find strange and of little use.
Perhaps a latter day Gandhi (who, as a Hindu, was still
very interested in Jesus the man) would be meeting with
some fellow seekers, were he or she to wander into a
UCC gathering. Wouldn't surprise me.

UD

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 09:23PM

. . . one has social needs that are met in an environment of racial and gender equality and if you're one who appreciates a place where intellectual diversity is not only tolerated but prized.

I've attended UU activities on and off for some time, as well as have had positive interactions with UUs in personal social settings. I would not in any way describe Unitarian Universalism or UU values (as manifested by its members) as being "cultish." Rather, I find UUs to be nice, varied, liberal-minded and smart people but, personally speaking, I also find that I don't need a congregational-like setting in a building on Sunday morning in order to feel individually comfortable or satisfied.

In other words, I tend not to be much of a joiner. My dad was the same way--that is, if you don't count his life-long membership in the Mormon Church (We both, however, didn't end up joining the John Birch Society, despite encouragement within family ranks to embrace it completely, if not join it formally).

So, whatever floats your boat, although the UUs wouldn't argue that Noah's ark was, like, literal.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2013 10:48PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Hane ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 09:31PM

If UUs are a cult, we're a pretty crappy one. When I first started attending my UU church, I was discussing my feelings about God and Jesus with the minister, and she actually suggested I check out the UCC!

At the UU, if you miss a few services and come back, there's no interrogation: you'll just get a "We missed you! Great to see you again!"

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 10:29PM

The UU "church" is the best thing I have experienced in a long time. I've been attending a couple of months and wish I had found it years ago.

The minister a couple of Sundays ago sounded like an atheist. OMG!! I loved it.

I cannot wait for Sundays to roll around.

I took my daughter and she felt right at home. She said it felt like an AA meeting.

SO NOT A CULT. How could anyone even think that?

The Mormons meet the requirements for cult. The Scientologists meet the requirements.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 10:32PM

DANGER ! DANGER !

Those evil unitarians are just one step away from agnosticism.

Date: October 02, 2013 10:54PM

Unitarian Universalism - The Cult of the Question Mark.

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 11:00PM

I have fond memories of Christmas Eve at a UU church a few years ago. I had just moved to a new city and had no family or friends around to celebrate the holidays with.

That Christmas was also the first one since a family member - one of the few I got along with well - had died. I associate her memory with Christmas Eve because that side of my family all used to gather at her (non-Mormon) Church for Christmas Eve services, no matter where we went the rest of the time. It was always beautiful, and I miss those Christmas Eves.

So I found my local UU church and went to Christmas Eve services there. They had a labyrinth set up where people could walk and meditate before the service. We sang traditional Christmas songs, and then the minister gave a talk that basically said "we may not believe in Jesus as God, but let's all honor the symbolism of Jesus - unconditional love, generosity, and commitment to improve the world."

It was great.

Date: October 02, 2013 11:05PM

"We Unitarians believe in one god...if that."

But all this tolerance brings up a point to ponder. Since they validate EVERYBODY's "spiritual journey," I have to wonder, what if some of these "journeys" are going the wrong way? It's all warmy-toasty to say to everybody, "If that's what you believe, then that's what right for you." But I believe in certain requirements of logic, including the "law of mutual exclusion:" Two objects cannot occupy the same place at the same time (e.g. the pot on the counter must be moved before you can put the casserole dish in that spot).

The same applies to conflicting ideas. If "A" conflicts with "B," then either (1) "A" is right, or (2) "B" is right, or (3) Both "A" AND "B" are wrong. They cannot both be right. Now you have an individual right to believe "A" (let's say, reincarnation) and I have an equal right to believe in "B" (say, a final judgement upon each individual soul). Now when we each die, either (A) we will be reincarnated, or (B) we will be judged, or (C) something else will happen. But NOT both! So I think the Unitarians are nice and friendly and affirming, but kind of wishy-washy in their thinking. I know it's appealing to exmos who have had a perverse absolutistic doctrine shoved down their throats, but I contend that the rejection of a fraudulent absolute dogma does not automatically preclude the possibility that there really is an absolute Truth.

Last thought: My brother ran a small-town Unitarian Society, which closed. Does that make him an "unUnitarian"?

Date: October 02, 2013 11:19PM

caffiend Wrote:
> ....preclude the possibility that there
> really is an absolute Truth.

But how we can recognize the absolute truth if it exist?

Date: October 02, 2013 11:48PM

and that would come close to proseltyzing, which violates this Forum's rules. I can tell you that I accept Christ [and the Scriptural reference (John 14.6)], "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life..." I see Christ as the center of the bullseye on a target, and most of us are at various points of proximity to that true Center.

I want to improve my aim and keep getting my arrow (my life) ever closer. LDS, of course, is completely off the target. Anyway, that's take on it. I've probably gotten too doctrinal already, but you raise the right question, swiper.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 05:20AM

"I can tell you that I accept Christ [and the Scriptural reference (John 14.6)], 'I am the Way and the Truth and the Life...' I see Christ as the center of the bullseye on a target, and most of us are at various points of proximity to that true Center."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2013 05:20AM by steve benson.

Date: October 02, 2013 11:38PM

I've even seen a unitarian study course by that title.

Unitarians avoid dogma, and prefer to focus on behavior instead. "Deeds, not creeds". Personally, I like that approach. Many churches claim to have the whole truth and they tell you what you SHOULD believe. We already know how far off they can be from anything resembling the truth.

If the individual takes it upon them to study and figure out what makes sense, what there is evidence for, and what resonates with them, then they won't be trying to believe in ridiculous stuff someone told them they are SUPPOSED to believe, or force their opinions on others. Because when it comes down to saying what happens after death, or what happened 2000 years ago, I have about as much special knowledge to speak on the matter as any other living human. (And that amount of special knowledge is somewhere close to ZERO).

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: October 02, 2013 11:56PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.