Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 01:52PM

I have a daughter that can be very challenging. She's been diagnosed with a handful of issues and sometimes (like last night) things can be overwhelming. She can become physically violent when she's mad.

We're working on her issues with professionals, and sometimes I feel like progress is being made. We can go for days/weeks without an issue, then snap.

I guess I just needed to know that there are others out there who have kids with mental challenges. Physically she's perfect and growing accordingly. Mentally we are faced with issues a 10 year old should never face. =(

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: October 03, 2013 03:12PM

My niece was adopted from China at 18 months. She had physical therapy and speech therapy and is now 10 and has been on medication for anxiety. She has always thrown huge temper tantrums and repeated kindergarten for that reason. She would get physically violent and say nasty hurtful things. Her parents do not yell at her or hit her, so this was not something she learned at home. She just gets to a point where she is incapable of modifying her behavior when she is angry.

She is smart but her emotional age is less than her physical age. She was in therapy for a while, and things seem to be getting better. It has been a rough decade for them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.