Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: luge ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:15AM

I am having a hard time separating from them..don't know why. DH has kicked them to the curb completely and I just can't seem too. What is my issue?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:48AM

Is it mental or physical? Start there.?

Is it fear? Is it a security blanket?

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:58AM

do you actually believe they have spiritual power? Or, Have you worn them so long they have become comfortable to you? There must be a reason you're hanging on.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 03:18AM

They're a nice loose fit. Decades of wear make them familiar.

Go to Costco and pick up some nice new underwear. You'll dig it.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 03:42AM

You don't need to be ready. Do it on your own time. I would try pulling out and trying something that makes you feel either more attractive or more comfortable, and if you aren't ready to jump ship yet then don't. I think we develop emotional attachments to "silly" things, and it takes us a while to unravel the underlying emotions. You'll get there, don't beat yourself up over it.

If your husband is making an issue out of it and making you feel bad for taking you time, maybe it would be easier for you to "meet him halfway" and do garment free days every so often? That way you don't have to commit to going whole hog, but if the issue is the "sex appeal" factor of the garments, then this would be an easy baby step in the direction of getting rid of them.

tl;dr, don't worry, everyone's journey out of mormonism is different. Go at your own pace. I took longest to get rid of my quad and my patriarchal blessing. The one made it into the trash, the other got burned in a glorious fire of freedom, but it took me a while to get to the point of being willing to give up my emotional attachment to those things.

Posted by: luge ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 04:09AM

DH is not making any kind of issue. He's very supportive and nice. It's me. They hold no religious value anymore. They are just what I have become accustomed to and it just is weird. It's been almost 2 decades of honest to goodness never removing them kind of wearing. I appreciate the reassurance. I think part of it is people noticing and having to face it before I am ready. I like to do things on my terms and hate being backed into a corner and having to explain something. Ya know? Plus, they have made really comfortable pj's and I need to find comfy clothes to sleep in. :).

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 04:29AM

I have your situation, but reversed. DH finds them comfortable and functional. His family is easily and happily fooled into thinking they are a sign of his belief. I required quite a bit of reassurance that they did NOT mean he had any belief in the Mormon church or intentions to reactivate.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 07:18AM

JC Penney's carries a line of long legged cotton boxer briefs for men that my late husband just loved.

http://www.jcpenney.com/men/underwear/cat.jump?id=cat100290089

Scroll down to bottom of page.

Never having been Mormon I have no idea if mens' garment bottoms are longer than these.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 07:28AM

I went from believer to apostate in two weeks, and pitched my garments in the trash immediately, without even thinking much about it. It was weird, though, getting used to regular underwear, and having my bra next to my skin. I had the advantage of doing it in the summer. I actually didn't sleep well for a few nights, getting used to the way they fell on my body. My hubby bought a bunch of colored tees to wear under his dress shirts for work because he was super chilly in the winter with just a plain dress shirt. Lots of men wear tees, though we refuse to wear white undies. He definitely doesn't want anyone to think he's gone back to G's.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 05:42PM

Because I have to wear white shirts in my work (cheating sometimes), I usually wear white tees. Too many white shirts show the colors of non-white tees. Briefs?: boxers and NOT white. The garmies gave me a rash anyway. It took a long time to toss the garment tops only because I hate to throw anything away. I remember once when the late William F. Buckley visited me (living one a couple of houses away) and wore a sweater with holes in the elbows. Nevertheless, I was triumphant when I ditched the tees with the masonic symbols. How much I hope DW will do the same.

Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 04:36PM

If you stay completely away from any danger whatsoever, they will protect you...and so will my shoelaces.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 05:11PM

You can find girly undies that are made like men's boxers but girly. My ex ALWAYS wore her g's but always wore panties over them along with a bra. She says the French cut cotton were the most comfortable for her. There was a time when I first met her that she was not active and was not wearing g's but wore these girl undies that had a bit of leg length to them (fit very well) and always a camisole with them (which looked very hot on her) She never said but I think it gave her a feeling of g's without actually wearing g's. Even after she became active, VERY ACTIVE!! she would still wear her little undies and just a simple night gown in the evening until bed time, then sleep in her g's and wear them all the next day. It was that few hrs in the evening after supper a shower and we would chill and wind down from our day that she would change into regular panties and girly top or nightgown. I think she enjoyed those few hrs everyday.

So maybe start slow after evening shower with regular undies and top and go from there. After a while you will love them (husband too) and before you know it's all you will wear.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 05:39PM

I know why! New undies are expensive! HUH

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 05:45PM

I took off my garment last January and I thought I would freeze to death. I am still not used to having a bare tummy under my tops. I wear a camisole under all of my shirts.

I tried several different styles of undies before I found the ones that felt just right. When you've worn garments for over thirty years, there is a period of adjustment.

There are lots of comfy choices for sleepwear. The knits at Target are especially nice.

I made it through Summer without my friends figuring out that I wasn't wearing garments. It will be even easier when the weather gets cooler. I get what you're saying about not wanting to be pushed. I don't want to tell my friends at all. I know that eventually I'll have to tell, but that's another post.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 07:16PM

This is not a contest. You take care of YOU on your own time,you do what you want. Who cares what underwear you wear?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.