Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: escapee not logged in ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 12:01PM

She slipped and fell in the bathroom and broke both her legs, just above her artificial knees. She had osteoporosis pretty severely. The left leg was repaired the next day and she came thru pretty well. Four days later, the right leg was repaired, but she did not bounce back so well. She had an unresponsive spell three days after that, got sent to ICU for a day, then to telemetry, where they continued to monitor her. At 3:05AM on Sept 29, the hospital called and told me she'd passed. She was 80.
I went with two of my siblings to tell dad. He is very hard of hearing and would never have heard the phone.
My folks are Catholic, so Mom got to have the rosary said for her the night before her funeral, and a funeral Mass.
I miss her. But I am relieved in that I don't have to fear her falling anymore. She was a textbook example of a falls risk. She had a lot of pain from arthritis and polymyalgia. She had fallen 3 weeks before this last fall and had to have stitches to her right knee. I don't have to worry about her hurting. Pop didn't always know right away if she fell, becuase he is so hard of hearing.
For some time, I'd been calling her morning and evening to check on both of them. I miss being able to call her.

the other Susan

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 12:04PM

I'm sorry. My dad is near that age and I can only imagine. Thanks for sharing though

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 12:05PM

I'm so sorry. It seems that a lot of times with fragile elderly people all it takes is just one event to send them over the edge. Take care of yourself. I know it's tough. Post whenever you need to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 12:05PM by summer.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 12:14PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can relate as my mom fell and broke her hip in her early 80s and had difficulty recovering. She passed a few years ago at 90, and I miss hearing her voice. No more pain and disorientation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 12:22PM by iris.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 12:17PM

What sad news. :-(
Condolences to you and your family, Susan.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 12:17PM

I am sorry for you loss also and I'm sad that she had such painful problems. I hope you feel at peace with this.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 12:19PM

So sorry for your loss. Losing a parent hits harder than you think. All the best to you.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 12:23PM

I am so sorry for your loss.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 12:36PM

I'm so sorry :(

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:05PM

escapee not logged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I miss being able to call her.

So sorry for your loss Susan. Grief is a tough journey.

Be good to yourself.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:11PM

I'm so sorry, Susan. My mom passed 19 years ago and I miss her every day. The grieving part will heal but the missing part will always be there. You are in my thoughts.
MZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 01:12PM by misterzelph.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:12PM

I'm so sorry for your loss, Susan. It plain sucks.

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:18PM

I'm so sorry. I hope you continue to feel her love for you as you go through this difficult time.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:20PM

susan, so sorry to hear that. I hope that you and your family will do well through this tough ordeal.

Posted by: serena nli ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:20PM

I'mm so sorry. I lost my wonderful, exasperating, fascinating, inciteful mother almost 4 years ago, and still would give a lot to just be able to pick up the phone again and talk with her like I could with no one else.

It can make some people suddenly feel "old" to lose one or both parents - dont fall into that trap. Take care of yourself.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:21PM

So sorry for your loss......I hope you find condolences in her memories.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:24PM

So sorry for your loss. My best wishes to you and your family.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:28PM

I send good thoughts your way. Losing a parent is so difficult. It makes you realize the generation older than you leaves and you feel so vulnerable. It takes five years or more to deal with it. Just make every day a positive step and keep the memories alive. The memories and stories will let you feel her presence around you. Update us from time to time how you are doing.

Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:29PM

I'm sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:34PM

Posted by: escapee not logged in ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:12PM

Thanks, everyone.
Pop has already gotten a card from the JWs. I'm waiting for the mishies to show up. Fortunately, his being near deaf may prove handy. He tore up the JW card and he can handle a couple of mishies IF he hears them.
We had a mystery at the funeral home. We got flowers from a mystery couple. No one recognized the name. I thought maybe mother used to work with one of them. I googled them this morning and called them up. Turns out the florist goofed and the flowers were meant for another person's funeral. So they are going to call the florist.
Pop is planning to donate Mom's clothes to a women's shelter and a lot of books to our loca library. He already gave her walker to my brother in law's mom. He's trying to find a new normal.
Thanks again for all your kind words. It means a lot.
other Susan

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:29PM

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. **HUGS**

Posted by: ishmael ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:42PM

My condolences. Coping with the loss of my mother is the hardest ongoing aspect of my life. Finding ways to celebrate her being and finding small ways to fill in the void her passing left has brought many positive things to my life.

Still, it is hard.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:48PM

I am very sorry for your loss Susan. You have my condolences.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:55PM

Sorry for your loss. I know it's really tough to lose your mom.
Lots of condolences & big cyber hugs to you!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 03:01PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. You were so lucky to have a mother that you love and miss. She loved you, and you loved her also. It's a precious relationship that you have. I'm sure your life will feel the void. When people we love pass away it feels like they take that love with them. But, she left most of it behind with you. For the rest of your life you'll remember things that she said and did out of love. Now you can pass that love on and share it with someone else. Its a powerful legacy for someone to leave with you.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 09:14PM

Sorry for your loss.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 09:18PM

So sorry for your loss. I felt like an orphan.....Sounds like you loved her so much. condolences

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 09:20PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Posted by: passing through ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 10:53PM

My own dear Mom passed on in mid-August, of complications following heart surgery. She was 66.

My condolences. Your pain is mine also.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 11:01PM

(((the other Susan)))

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 11:15PM

Sending good thoughts your way--I've been through that and it sucks, but she will live in your memories. Now it's time to take care of your dad and keep him as close as you can.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 11:17PM

May peace visit you in this time of sorrow.

Posted by: myantonia ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 11:22PM

((((HUG)))) My sweet mama passed June 21. She was also Catholic and she was 90. She taught me how to die. Might sound strange, but it's a great gift. (((HUG)))

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 11:31PM

Hang in there, the road is hard. But you still have your Dad treasure that. Even 5 years later I still have to stop myself from picking up the phone to call her.

Posted by: olemare ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 12:23AM

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Having recently lost my own dad I grieve along with you. It hurts us who have to stay behind. We miss them terribly but wouldn't hold them in a life of pain. May you find peace in days to come.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 05:06AM

So very sorry love!! Take care of you and of your Dad, your mum is now fine. I am so glad she is not in pain anymore.

My love to you and yours!!!

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 05:30AM

My mom is dying of organ failure she is 75. You say 80 and thought crosses my mind that is old... but my mom is still young. How silly. Hugs to you!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.