Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:37PM

My hopes that church leadership would become more moderate were dashed when Elder Bednard, the eventual future prophet due to his young age, finished his talk on tithing with the following:

"For those that pay their tithing, I thank you. For those that do not: repent!" Then came the hammer in the coffin: "Do not procrastinate the day of your repentence."

In all my years, I have never heard such a harsh talk on tithing. Wow!

Basically, if you are not paying tithing, it isn't like you are missing out on blessings, your are SINNING! Pay, pray, and obey!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 01:55PM

Yo!...DAVE!!!! fuck you, fuck you and oh, yeh....fuck you!!

Ron Burr

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:01PM

*Like*

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 10:29AM

I have no response to that - you've stated my feelings perfectly!!! }:-)>

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:00PM

It's a Corporation. Plain and simple. It's all about the money.

I wish the so-called 15,000,000 members could see that.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:02PM

I'm not sorry to say this, but all tithing does is fuck people financially. Money people earn ends up being tithed on 3 times over in many cases - it's tithed on the gross, then refunds are tithed on, then kids are made to tithe on their pocket money. That's 3 fucking times right there!

Fuck you, Bednar!

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:03PM

Don't forget the pre-tax tithing, well because, God wants that money too.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:03PM

Could be 4X, Tristan. Many pay tithing on thier social security, pensions and inheritances.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:05PM

On definitely, I was just thinking about the immediate tithing. But yeah, 4-5, maybe even 6 times that money is being tithed on. Goddamn fucking money grubbing corporate raiders...

Posted by: Talon Avex ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 02:07PM

Bednar got the main subject out early and often for GC, from the sounds of it: Shut up and give us your money!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 02:08PM by Talon Avex.

Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 03:32PM

Bednar, if you want me to pay tithing, show me in the four gospels where the Savior said it was important. You can't do that, because it's not there. As Willy Wonka said: "You lose. You get nothing. Good day sir."

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 05:16PM

Yes, and also give me some visibility into what you are using my tithing money for. The fact that you are so incredibly secretive with my money and still loudly demand that I blindly pay just screams CORPORATE FRAUD !!

Posted by: TW-RM ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 12:46AM

To borrow from a TEDTalk: "Expenditures without accountability and without transparency always results in corruption."

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:55AM

... and always will.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 03:35PM

Well, we all know that the tithing revenues are falling off and the millionaires in Salt Lake are concerned. This is one of the signs that the morg is in trouble. Desperate threats, fear mongering... there will plenty more of this to come as the income continues to dwindle. You would think with 15 million members on the rolls the morg would have nothing to worry about. Hmmm... something's just not adding up here.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 03:41PM

I wonder if these people really believe in a God. Because they know the LDS is just a business ----- I couldn't do it I see widows and young families paying tithing instead of supporting their families or enjoying life. If there is a God Davy and the rest of these crooks will surly go to Hell!

Posted by: Anono ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 05:03PM

Bednar needs to beg and guilt and promise to get money so he will have a budget when it's his turn to run the church. It's enough to make a grown man have insomnia and cry.

Posted by: oncewasblind ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 10:55PM

Hey Dave bro, I aint paying shit to your corporation you bastard!!!!!

Posted by: anonno ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 11:13PM

I know for sure that they miss my tithing.

Between the two of us DH and I were giving them almost $80,000 a year. We did that for two years. Then we found out the real deal.

We didn't even get so much as a thank you. More like a big panic when they realized they'd alienated us beyond repair. We may have money, but we weren't so firmly entrenched in mormonism that we were blind. we didn't play the social game. We didn't care. We're more loners than anything. The church wanted us to be social butterflies, and that's not who we are. As a result, we got treated like shit. I'm actually quite grateful. It gave DH and I the catalyst to look into the dirty business called mormonism. We are out, out, out. OUt forever and for good. I hope they enjoyed the money they got, because there won't be another dime coming their way from us. My entire family all signed out on the same day. There will be no senior missions, no big wads of cash given to the church. I'd give my money to the local humane society before i'd give it to the church.

DH and I still give. We now give straight to our local community. We buy food, clothing, and education for the kids in our area. It's brought us more joy and happiness than we ever imagined. One big problem with moism. Because the top dogs refuse to say where the money goes, they deprive people of the wonderful feeling of giving for all the right reasons. Nope, it feels like dumping money down the sewer. Those men are idiots. If people don't feel good about giving money, they will soon either stop giving, or move on to a more emotionally satisfying place to give. May they keep demanding money with no accountability. They will soon (if not already) be pining away for the good ole days.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:58AM

I want to say ditto to the good feelings when supporting a charity of your choice.

May I recommend Wounded Warriors. Every time I write my tithing check to Wounded Warriors I feel AWESOME, and I'm sure they must dig the big bucks as opposed to $10 or $25 checks.

I love being generous. I just REFUSE to give any money to an organization that won't open its books.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 10:16AM

Great post. Though we are not out due to DW and family considerations, DW is completely okay with giving to valid charities instead of LDS Inc, and we have had great experiences and made some real friends. DW in particular has been taken by how accepted and valued she has been by the sinful, wine bibbing non-members.

I would greatly enjoy hearing how you got your family out - resigned in one day. That would be fantastic and a true life changing event.

Date: October 05, 2013 11:16PM

Good grief. I have to work for several years just to make what you paid in tithing.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 11:39PM

I wonder if he gets a commission? Or a percentage of money raised? That is one way to use hell, fire, and damnation to raise funds.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 11:53PM

Oh guys, don't worry, my brother reassured me on labor day that "not one tithe dollar was used to make city creek mall".

The greatest con on earth...religion.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:05AM

It WASN'T tithing money! Well it wasn't YESTERDAY'S tithing money.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 12:58AM

"You gotta pitch a pickle or two-oo, boys,

You got to pitch a pickle or two."

- The Word According to Bednar

It's probably a good thing I have never attended (nor am I likely to attend) a GenCon. I don't believe I could keep a straight face. There is just too much absurdity flying around.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:25AM

Jesus knows everything and Jesus talks to tommy. This is so simple I can't believe the leaders aren't doing it. Jesus could tell tommy to buy land that has hidden oil or other natural resources. Jesus could instruct tommy which stocks to buy. All gains are tax free and would be more than enough to run the church and then they could stop hitting up the members.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:45AM

I was wondering if the wealthiest of members pay their tithing in terms of stocks or property (at inflated values)? The problem with such items is cash flow. You might be able to borrow money against stocks or property, but to get actual cash you have to sell them.

Posted by: dontwanttobeanLDSidiot ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 05:48AM

It sucks to know people who really need money are swindled out of it with empty fucking promises.

This is how you know its truly a business, with blessings as a product.
"For only %10 of your money, you'll get many blessings! It works, trust us! Who needs proof or guarantees when you've got faith!"

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 08:50AM

Money solves everything. The LDS church will sell you salvation for money.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 11:49AM

I always wondered what type of payment was used before we had money here on Earth.

Maybe it was all the offerings of babies and sheep and cattle etc...

The Lard's bank account has gotta be full by now.

Fucking sick prick, he is....

Posted by: Southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:24PM

If paying tithing was like my 401k maybe I would pay. At least with my 401k I get actual reports in the mail and check its website as well. There is nothing like in the morg!

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:31PM

Since becoming exmo I admit I'm surprised by how tithing has become my #1 gripe.
That's because I never missed tithing as a TBM. I had had an experience right before my mission where I paid tithing instead of paying my car bills (insurance premium and loan installment) having just arrived in a new state and looking for temporary work before my mission. I found work that same week and was still on-time with my bills. I never doubted tithing after that and I always paid it, being "perfect" as far as I know for about 18 years. That included lean times of being sole-earner and student after my wife was inspired to stay home and have our babies.
I never stopped to think how much we were paying. It came off the top just like taxes. It wasn't mine to miss. Even when we were living leanly it never crossed my mind that our tithing money would have been a substantial relief to us, representing, at times, up to 30-40% of our discretionary income, being second only to rent as a cost, more than the cost of running our car.
Actually the only time I fretted about tithing was when it wasn't necessarily in my power to pay it. I now consider this an inherent fault in tithing being defined as 10% of gross. That's because, occasionally, you're paid indirectly...ie specifically student grants, and later, loan repayment benefits. Grants and scholarships are paid directly to the school and they might give you a refund, but usually it's all or mostly spent on tuition and fees. Loan repayment benefits were paid directly to creditors and never passed through my hands.
Thus, to tithe these indirect "increases" we would have to pay out of our discretionary (already tithed) cash. There were times we simply couldn't do it...that is, it would have been most or all of our cash for the month.
I saw these as failures of my faith and I was down on myself that I didn't have the guts to proceed with defaulting on bills or feeding our babies to prove my faith in gawd. I felt gawd demoted me to a lesser tier of blessings for it.

When I left the church I was slow to care about tithing. My wife still paid it and I didn't protest. I figured one thing at a time, since she sternly resisted my first attempts to steer away from the church. Any small protest by me started a fight, and my wife successfully manipulated me into submission with pouting, sulking, crying, and such adolescent/juvenile instincts.
To this day, I can count on one hand the number of times, over 5 years, that I have tried to protest some church influence on our family. She's just a boob about it. She basically forced me into an all-or-nothing corner...It's start a HUGE fight that will end who-knows-how, or just let it slide.
I only started resenting tithing when she had the gall to complain about money. She was offended when I used the phrase "my money" (when I asked if she could just pay tithing on "her half" and save the tithing on "my half" in a fund for the kids)...yet SHE routinely says "my money" now.
Besides my wife being a boob about it, I became increasingly contemptuous of the church for its insidious tithing manipulation methods. It guilts members into it by saying you're greedy, uncharitable, selfish, and gluttonous if you don't pay it. They pose it as a debt, you OWE the church a "full" tithing (which they know damned well most members think this means on gross income, and they do nothing to clarify the ambiguity of the definition even as members overpay lest they "rob gawd").

So it's a quadruple whammy to me. My wife pays tithing in my behalf knowing I protest it and that I've resigned from the church for gawd's sake, then implies I'm greedy and uncharitable for it, then spends money on her own hobbies while I mostly abstain from hobbies because I'm working all the time and we can't afford it, and then finally she insults me by saying I don't make enough money and that she deserves more for her homemaker services than what she gets and wishes she got paid for it like I get paid (ALL of which goes to her and she gives me a f*cking allowance and COMPLAINS about my overhead).

Then, I notice this drivel from the church, already bearing the burden of peace-tribute tithing, knowing the church is a scam to begin with, that they have less charity than I do yet they would say I'm the greedy one for even complaining about tithing at all, assuming I want to spend it on hobbies and luxuries (when really I want to save it all for my kids), and the irony that my wifes BLAMES ME for our lack of savings for gawd's sake, and then the church tells her I'm an a thief for coveting our tithing...and I freely admit I want to spend $7.50 on some cheap rum and get wasted so I don't care.

Date: October 06, 2013 02:38PM

I'm sorry. I wouldn't be able to resist yelling at her, "Get a job, if you want more money!"

Posted by: Widget ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 03:03PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.