Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 03:50PM

In honor of Uchtdorf's talk, I am going to list some of the human mistakes made by imperfect men in the LDS church that caused me to leave. I fully acknowledge that I did not leave because of any mistakes made by God or Jesus. 100% of the mistakes leading to my apostasy were made by men. Here are just a few:

1) Joseph Smith lying that he had a "first vision" in 1820 and was persecuted about it.

2) Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery, and Sidney Rigdon inventing a false history and work of scripture, and calling it "The Book of Mormon."

3) Joseph Smith sleeping with teenagers and other men's wives whom he sent on missions.

What other "mistakes of men" caused you to leave the church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 05, 2013 04:04PM

4) Forcing members to take death oaths to qualify for heaven

5) Creating a violent environment that lead to many murders, including the one at Mountain Meadows

6) Preventing blacks and women from taking top leadership roles (priesthood)

7) Fighting to strip civil liberties from homosexuals who don't share their faith

Now that Uchtdorf has supposedly admitted that church men did indeed make all of these mistakes, I'm still not interested in going back. Call me prideful.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 06:39PM

kimball Wrote:

> Now that Uchtdorf has supposedly admitted that
> church men did indeed make all of these mistakes,
> I'm still not interested in going back. Call me
> prideful.

I'm not interested in remaining a member. Call me rational.
}:-)>

Posted by: Haunted Wasatch ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 04:19PM

8) The complete bs story about the origins of the bom about Joe not being allowed to let anybody else see the plates except with spiritual eyes then sticking his face in a hat to gaze upon a magic rock. The story about the plates themselves reeks of con artist. My favorite part is the whole bs story about the lost 116 pages that can't be translated again dum dum dum dum dum. Don't get me started on "reformed Egyptian"

9) The boa being written by the hand of Abraham oh excuse INSPIRED by iron age common funerary papyri with multiple ideas stolen from Emanuel Swedenborg.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 04:28PM

Where do I start? I always felt somehow 'not as good' as the BIC folks. Then I read here that there is a difference in the way converts are treated. Big reason I left. Also, I got damn sick and tired of getting the hard callings- being told they were a 'blessing' and that even though I have a non-curable illness that takes a toll at times, that my faith would pull me through. I can't believe I fell for that because I was trying to do the right thing. Once I started investigating deeply with an open mind, not listening to what people who didn't have my best interests at heart were saying, and realizing that it ALL was built upon lies, my shelf didn't just fall, it exploded! I was in the church for over a decade and I have not once regretted leaving 2 years ago.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 06:42PM

Please go look at http://mormonleaks.com/

It's an awesome expose on the authors of the BoM and the process by which it was, well, defecated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 06:44PM by brothernotofjared.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 04:30PM

I left the LD$ church, not because of "mistakes" made by "imperfect" men.

I left because of the WILLFUL LIES told by Joseph Smith.

Those were not "mistakes" just like perjury is not a "mistake." It's a violation of the law.

"Mistakes" my ass!

Date: October 05, 2013 04:32PM

In my book, a willful lie is a big mistake.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 04:47PM

Along with PapaKen's comments that I agree with 5,00%, is my own outrage that the WILLFUL LIES continue to roll out of the mouths of the 12 + 3 con-men who have chosen to continue the disgusting ruse started by Sleezy Ole Joe so that they can sit on their own velvet-lined pedestals. From their perches they can look down on the masses, call the shots, and eat, drink and live on easy-street. They have chosen to ignore the evidence that is out their for all to readily discover because they do not have the guts to choose TRUTH over glory.

Anyway, that is how I see it.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 04:50PM

These men parading as god's representatives telling me to forget the "mistakes" of JS and other leaders while telling members today they must confess, go through church discipline, pay whatever price is meted out for our sins, and then return to full fellowship. Instead these men get off scot free, honored, revered and respected for restoring the gospel. That helped me a lot to see the lie.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 07:54PM

+ 10,000,000

Date: October 05, 2013 08:42PM

That's pretty much exactly the first though I had the moment I realized the church was a fraud.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 04:53PM

Yes....the church is mistaken in their claim that Christ restored his only true church through Joseph Smith.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 06:35PM

Certainly no supreme being made a mistake that caused me to despise the church. It was all the work of mortals.

Posted by: oncewasblind ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 09:15PM

I left after I found out that Joseph smith and Brigham young would send men on missions then take their wives. I mean WTF is that all about. If I was sent on a mission and then return to find out that some higher up jerkoff had taken my wife I would most certainly make them pay one way or the other.

Posted by: tisket ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 09:25PM

Sonja Johnson, the woman who was kicked out for supporting legal equality for women in the United States. Tossed by Prophet, Seer, and Revelator Spencer W. Kimball, whose prophetic powers left him when he met forger and murderer Mark Hoffman. Was Hoffman kicked out, or is murder okay provided you still believe women are subhuman?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 10:50PM

I left because of false doctrine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.