Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 06:14PM

At the conclusion of the second session I continued to watch as "Tommy Boy"
shook the hands of each of the other GAs. Then, as if on queue, he walked over to the front railing,
bent over it and shook hands with ONE blond young boy, he was the only youngster there
and was probably around 8 or 9 years of age.
The very moment their hands shook a blizzard of photo flashes ensued.

I wonder what the likelihood this touching moment was staged beforehand.
I wonder what the likelihood a photo of the tender moment will appear
in TSCC's Ensign Mag., the DesNews or some other Mormon publ./website/etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2013 09:32AM by heretic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 06:21PM

What even stranger that they showed the gas getting up and leaving as well..I never saw this happen when I watched .

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 06:24PM

You gotta know this was some staged phoney baloney shite.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 06:31PM

Even more disturbing was the camera showing the way the audience just stays in place until every apostle leaves the stand... STANDING by the way.

When GA's walk in they stand, and when GA's leave they stand.

This just doesn't seem like something Jesus Christ would stand for (no pun intended). I believe Jesus would walk straight to the mic and tell everyone "sit down for heavens sake."

These MEN enjoy being worshipped and encourage those who defend the practice to continue it. You'll never hear them demand it, it will be some other leader or member go ape shit if you don't stand for them.

I like the direction the new pope has taken. No fancy apartment or fancy car for him. He actually seems like he's trying to live like Jesus Christ.

You don't see that in the LDS prophet or apostles. They expect special treatment, perks, adornment and absolute respect and devotion.

Make no mistake when they say the church is run by imperfect men they are NOT referring to themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 06:35PM by Doubting Thomas.

Posted by: Scully ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 06:41PM

It's there on my FB feed because my TbM sister commented on how wonderful it is to have such a prophet.

The page is "I am LDS" and that picture has 5.3 thousand likes a d 153 comments in 40 minutes.

Posted by: Tara2 ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 06:56PM

This was all over the US media around the time of the April GC. There have been other similar happenings since. I am sure the TSCC is watching this man with deep interest.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/04/03/watch-megyn-kellys-emotional-interview-with-dr-paul-gondreau-dad-of-disabled-boy-embraced-by-pope-francis/

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 07:27PM

Video link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151734150001843&set=vb.130368870391987&type=2&theater
TO be frank, it looks completely staged. Monson's walking, knows where the boy is, and signals to him. The boy isn't surprised but dutifully walks towards Monson (I would be shocked if I were in that boy's place and wonder if he was waving at me!)
Grab hand, pause for effect (and the cameras), move on without smiling or saying bye. Even the boy turns right around and walks straight back.

I hope I'm not being cynical here haha.

Posted by: Cornelius ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 08:52PM

That looked totally fake. He just paused there holding the little boy's hand making sure all the photographers got a good shot of it.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 08:06PM

There was nothing normal about that. The one exception would be the guy that held on to the back of monsons pants so he didn't fall over the rail. For some reason that struck me as funny.

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 08:45PM

Love the pants holder too. He has the Alzheimer walk...take it from someone who is holding on to her husbands pants everyday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 08:46PM by emmahailyes.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 10:01PM

I wonder what drugs they had to give him to keep him coherent. I can see every swipe of pancake make-up, he looks like he is already dead, poor guy. He probably would have rather stayed home and had a nap.

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: October 05, 2013 11:40PM

the last time I was at conference ( april 2013 ) people only stood up when the president of the church walked in the room. once it was over everyone just left, no one waited for them to leave. maybe something has changed.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 12:01AM

I'll ask my cousin's husband. He's one of Monson's security guards. You can see his head pop into the frame just above the "pants holder's" hand at about the 9 second mark.

My guess is that's the cover of the November Ensign.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 12:33AM

Well, according to my cousin, the young man and his father were sitting in the front row, and TSM got up and waved him over, so I get the impression that (at least according to her) it wasn't staged.

So here are the possibilities: either

1) It wasn't staged, and TSM was planning on doing it while he had time to kill during Dieter the Peter's talk, or maybe it occurred to him just as the lights went on.

2) It was staged, but only the photographers and the boy (and perhaps a few others) knew that it was going to happen

3) It was staged, and nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them so that's their story and they're sticking to it.

I'm leaning towards #2. Not sure he'd be coherent enough to do that on his own.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 12:36AM

That was my first thought at the beginning of this thread.

I get these 'feelings' and so I 'know' I am right.

It's the same 'feelings' I get when I 'know' TSCC isn't true.

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:34AM

I didn't see it but you guys are awesome with your remarks!

(former poster, l.u.v.c.a.k.e)

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 08:51AM

Ive already seen this picture on facebook. Barf.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 10:43AM

I'm sorry I missed that for a change but really just the same. Nice thread, comments, thanks. We had to watch it. What a hoot! Besides pants grabber we also had a hand very near the seat of his pants as possibly pants grabber two just a little of base. Photo opp for sure, even from that angle. Where were all the other kids? Relegated to the cheap seats. Why didn't he offer to shake hands with him and more importantly accept offers of others to shake his hand and why weren't others [wanting to shake his hand you would think everybody would be grabbing at the opportunity] shaking hands and hugging and laughing and tending/trending themselves. Same with waltzing of stage with wife (who surely doesn't get to wave) and that random wave. No socializing -some would argue they do it often, nothing but watching a movie end. Too confounded by what just happened and without enough strength to bbare their testimonies or even break out is songs and praise for the Lord. Idol worship makes you forget about what its really about

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 11:09AM

Sorry folk- that wasn't his wife. In any case tons of people standing around doing nothing- not even socializing. This seems new. Normally people dont "watch" but do things. Nearly every single one of them look like a poser. So bored looking - deer in headlights. Now I remember, "I am alive" the Spirit is within me and not without me. This is my command. I follow and make commands. No worship of man or man-made things, "general authority", philosophies, crap, no beginning and no end (a Jesus Christ) but no amen unless there are at least two or more awomen. Just kidding. Hallaluja as we as Mormons are or were (some will be) rather tame in religion and wild in heart or the "church" or the family, or the imagination or in sex-thought, but mostly of all worship man and money and mock idols and lose the moment. Too bad people weren't more social there at the end. Like watching the words move across the movie screen after it is over while some move toward the door to get out of there. Boy will be leader someday and tell this story. Prophet will shake hands with the shy adults in the congregation and more mans will be spontaneous like normal

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2013 11:30AM by moremany.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 11:14AM

It looks totally spontaneous to me. He waves the kid over and while holding his hand you can see monson do the ear wiggle for the kid.

Posted by: skepticnow ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 11:30AM

I have to agree with anonow. This looks genuine and spur of the moment.

I looked hard for tell-tale signs it was staged:

1) no photographers with flash still cameras on the floor ready to snap

2) TM's SS Agent wasn't looking in advance making eye contact, giving nods, etc. with those helping to create the "moment"

3) the female guard nearest the boy looked as surprised as everyone else on the floor (of all the staff she would've been "in on it" as the closest to the boy)

3) the kid continued to wave at the other GAs afterwards (perhaps hoping to get more skin from other celebrities)

Sometimes as critics we tend to be overly pessimistic and shallow. May it not always be so.

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 11:51AM

"3) the kid continued to wave at the other GAs afterwards (perhaps hoping to get more skin from other celebrities)"

Um, no, that didn't happen.

And no one looked surprised.

And the security guard (or whomever it was that grabbed Monson's belt) looked very prepared to do that. It looked very calculated.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 12:16PM

If you look at the actual full session (not the short clip) at the end you can see the boy waving at the GAs, and the female guard does look surprised when she saw it happen.

Posted by: skepticnow ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 12:26PM

That's right, you have to look at the full session-- and the last 5 minutes to get it all in context.

The perspective changed to the closer camera stage right just before TM went to the balcony edge because the other camera was now too far away.

I'd like to think it was staged too. But, I don't think it would have looked so natural.

We'll never know whether it was staged or not.

I'm betting the boy will never forsake TSCC.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 11:52AM

Eh. Politicians do the same thing.

Posted by: Southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:21PM

Ex-CultMember Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eh. Politicians do the same thing.

Especially during election years!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:49PM

EVERYTHING about mormonism is staged !!!

Posted by: emily ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:08PM

I'm not disturbed so much by the actual event as I am by the comments that have been left on the video by mormons

"I had tears in my eyes when I saw him do this on conference. What an amazing Prophet we have."

"Saw this yesterday while attending conference and it brought tears to my eyes. Such a powerful example of Christlike love!! Every soul is meaningful in His kingdom."

'Tears in my eyes. What tiny innocence.."

Get a ahold of yourself...he just shook the kid's hand.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:18PM

It gets worse. There is now a picture on FB of the scene, with a picture of jesus with children superimposed over the top of it.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:25PM

No way that was spontaneous.

No kid that age just strolls up to a dias like that without coaching. No way the security dude grabs Monson's belt from behind without a "What the heck?" from Monson. Now way the kid beelines back to his place afterward without glancing over his shoulder. No way the security guys aren't more suspicious looking.

Staged.

And more, the gushing comments reported on FB affirm exactly WHY it was done. It worked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2013 02:26PM by left4good.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:30PM

The kid is lucky that Monson didn't uchtdorf all over him.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:58PM

I think the cult was attempting to match what the Catholic Pope did in April. Can't let the great and abdominal church have the upper hand.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.