Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:28AM

From the one session I saw, they're mostly worried about:

1. Missionary Work: Specifically how the work won't accomplish much without the members getting involved. I see this as a sign that perhaps their "surge" so far hasn't produced the results they were hoping for.

2. Women: Specifically making sure women understand how "important" and "special" the role men tell them they're supposed to fill is.

3. Mental Illness: Apparently depression and suicide are big problems in Mormonism right now. So much for the gospel making people happy...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:41AM

1. Whether it's 70,000 or 200,000, no one is interested and they have missionaries with nothing to do

2. You wimmens are free to do whatever you are told

3. Depression and mental illness have been big problems for a long time but more people are figuring out the source of that unhappiness is the teachings and the culture of mormonism

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:44AM

Great subject line... and true.

Posted by: I believed this all, once... ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 06:27AM

Yes, and the whole bit about "strenghtening the men" - maybe the old boys feel their buttocks are not being kissed with enough reverance.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 07:17AM

True.

They are worried about their cash flow. Repent, ye sinners! Pay your tithing, and then some!

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 08:45AM

Agreed

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 08:45AM

Back in the 1970s, I had a lesson in priesthood about mental illness, saying that mental illness was caused by sin. What is the current Mormon take on mental illness? Still a result of sin?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 08:49AM

Wow! So sin is the cause of chemical imbalance! Didn't know that. I guess we left-handers (being sinister) were either sinful or else were not valiant in the pre-existance. And those of us who suffered depression because of blood sugar problems were sinning - some showing depression even before the age of eight. Christ stated of a man he healed that he had the problem not because of sinning by himself or his parents. TSCC struck out.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 08:54AM

Lefties are also so gauche.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 12:22PM

Oui, รง'est vrai.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 11:55AM

Not based on the one talk I saw. Jeffery Holland even admitted that he had experienced clinical depression before. I thought it was actually a surprisingly useful talk, very different from their normal pay, pray, obey drivel.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 08:51AM

Did they talk about breeding like flies yet? Gotta pop out lotsa future revenue.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 08:52AM

that's what members are doing behind closed doors since conference is SO BORING!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 08:51AM

nickname Wrote:

> 3. Mental Illness: Apparently depression and
> suicide are big problems in Mormonism right now.
> So much for the gospel making people happy...

My answer to that is "then stop baptising mentally ill people to fulfill your quotas!"

Posted by: ZIP ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 09:25AM

Have you noticed that the majority of the conference messages seem to be centered on the DEFENSE?

Defensiveness appears to be pushing out what should otherwise be a world of positive religious messages -- messages like these: Here's how we can help the poor better. Let's improve the world. How families can enjoy life to the fullest. Let's all celebrate, humans will live again after death!

Instead, it's things like "Stop worrying, we're winning -- Look at the numbers we are presenting. Don't listen to all those people who are leaving. We really DO have the answers, just trust us. We can get the trouble makers back. We need your tithing faster and stop being so depressed!"

Posted by: raisingspecialneeds ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 09:33AM

What I found fun about it is that stupid quote going around saying, "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith." TBMs are loving posting this stupid thing on FB. Now, a few of my exmos on my page are fighting back by posting it, saying things like, "How sad is it that you aren't even allowed to explore your own doubts?" ect, and the TBMs are getting pissed and flipping out that the exmos are taking it out of context. My friend replied with a great, "You were thrilled to post this, I just shared it from your page."

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 10:33AM

There is an image with that quote, superimposed over a picture of an airplane flying into the world trade center, now floating around.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 09:43AM

Insigtful observation!!!

Yep, I think all of us exmormons can give ourselves pats on the back (or front or side) for moving the cause along! MormonInc. is stewing, as my late Mom would say! and I am LOVIN' it.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 10:00AM

What they don't talk about is insightful, too. Any mention of famine, war and its refugees, people struggling in a crashed economy.....?

All topics are centered on the small Mormon bubble. Pretty small thinking for a world-wide church with all the answers led by a prophet who speaks for god.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 10:04AM

nickname Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Christ's true Gospel will make you happy and free your Heart.

The Mormon Mind F*ck will send you reeling and leave you in need of some heavy pharmacological help.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 10:12AM

nickname Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the one session I saw, they're mostly worried
> about:
>
> 1. Missionary Work: Specifically how the work
> won't accomplish much without the members getting
> involved. I see this as a sign that perhaps their
> "surge" so far hasn't produced the results they
> were hoping for.
>
> 2. Women: Specifically making sure women
> understand how "important" and "special" the role
> men tell them they're supposed to fill is.
>

4. Money: Monson asked for more money for missionaries almost immediately. Bednar talked about tithing one hour into the conference. Pay tithing and repent! And sternly, "Do not delay the day of your repentance."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2013 10:13AM by No Mo.

Posted by: Deja Vue ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 10:27AM

Ever notice that the more you worry about something, the more it grows and gives you even MORE to worry about? Just sayin'..I think the Churches concerns are rolling down hill, out of control...YEAH, Where's the popcorn...?

Posted by: Southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 10:35AM

Yeah its rather isn't it!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 10:51AM

Considering how the church HATES putting forth anything other than its happy, smiley face, then you know something like mental illness and suicide, then it's a problem so big it can't be ignored anymore. The official line used to be that no "real" Mormon was depressed or suicidal. "The high suicide rate amoung young males in Utah? Well, they aren't good, active Latter-day Saints! If they were, they wouldn't kill themselves. And the high rate of antidepressant use? Well, it's probably not Mormons and if it is, then it's because we're so diligent about healthcare. Yeah, that's it!"

Posted by: rick beals ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 10:54AM

I think their scarred to death. The "Truth" posted on the Internet is killing them and the 15 are panicing.

Posted by: capitolmoroni ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 12:09PM

When I realized how negative the church is I enjoyed the christian themed motivational speeches of joel osteen. Naturally that didn't last long as I dont have interest in any churches.

But at least olsteen followers get to feel good from an always positive message. The mormon speak and demeanor alone of "conference speak" isn't positive at all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.