Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 12:55PM

The new morality of the sixties was just the old IMmorality.

I object to this woman's view of the sixties.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:13PM

I thought she said she grew up in Idaho. Surely there weren't too many in her town who got caught up in the hippie counter-culture movement. The "sex, drugs and rock-n-roll" lifestyle was not the norm of the 60s - it was on the outer fringes.

I found it hard to believe that "many of her peers" had ruined their lives with immoral living, alcohol and addiction - did she really hang out with such kids in high school and then go on to maintain contact with all these heathens over the years? Surely she was completely involved in matters pertaining to the church and had little awareness of those outside her narrow world.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:18PM

God this was the most robotic talk since Bednar spoke yesterday.

I like your simple and quick analysis. Really in Idaho in the 60's? Some yes, "many of her peers?" She also said she was the only LDS in her High School... that seems odd for anywhere in Idaho in the 60's.

Finally, since she surely did not hang out with these peers how would she know that their lives were ruined?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:22PM

It's the old "we're moral and you're not" game.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:26PM

My thoughts exactly

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 01:35PM

I hadn't heard that one in a while, but I do remember growing up with it in the 70's and 80's. And still, every once in a while, when Mormon leaders feel like using it, they pull it out and dust it off. (Um, just to be clear, by "it" I mean the quote):

https://www.google.com/#q=site:lds.org+%22new+morality%22+%22old+immorality%22

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:47PM

Marilyn Quayle tried it at the 1992 GOP National Convention. Went over like a ton of bricks. Even Barbara Bush admitted in her biography that the speech "was not well received":

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/31358-1

(she appears about four minutes into the video; the first four minutes were remarks by her introducer).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 02:00PM

I went to a party school, and all of my friends had lots of bad habits. ;) They blew off some steam in college and their 20's, and then went on to lead thoroughly conventional lives -- grad school, careers, marriage, and kids.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 03:10PM

This is an excellent point - I had some wilder friends in high school and looking at them today, they are all settled down, hard working, raising great kids and as good or better than my LDS friends. In fact, my only friend that got herself pregnant in high school was LDS. I know this isn't 100 percent true but most people turn out OK, even if they do spend a few years acting crazy. Mostly, IMO, because they learn who they are and how to think for themselves. Two things that are denied Mormons.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 03:17PM

I was a child of the sixties and a teen of the seventies. The most insufferable, self-righteous twits back then were the Mormons, and they still are. Gotta give 'em points for continuity.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 03:44PM

Could it be that this person has a problem with truth recognition?

I was on the west coast during this era. If you did not live there then you would have difficulty describing it.

Once again someone trying to proselyte a fable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2013 03:46PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: ellenl ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 07:26PM

I was a teenager in the 1960's, and I don't know what in the world this woman was talking about!

Perhaps it's because I grew up in a middle class suburb (but didn't she also?).

I sure missed out on the drugs, sex and rock n roll (OK, we had rock n roll!).

This is all part of the LDS strategy to paint the rest of society as a Sodom and Gomorrah.

The LDS church can protect your family from the horrors going on in the larger world.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 06, 2013 07:33PM

I was aware that the drug culture was there, but I was never personally touched by it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.