Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormer Formon ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 07:14PM

It was said that the reason I left Mormonism is because I read too much.... lol

here is a story that illustrates the "thinking"

"It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and then to loosen up. Inevitably, though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker.

'I began to think alone - "to relax," I told myself - but I knew it wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me, and eventually I was thinking all the time.

'I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't mix, but I couldn't stop myself.

'I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read Thoreau and Kafka.

'I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it, exactly, we are doing here?"

'Things weren't going so great at home either. One evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life. She spent that night at her mother's.

'I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called me in. He said, "Skippy, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job." This gave me a lot to think about.

'I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I confessed, "I've been thinking..." "I know you've been thinking," she said, "and I want a divorce!" "But, Honey, surely it's not that serious."
"It is serious," she said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college professors, and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on thinking we won't have any money!" "That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to cry.

'I'd had enough. "I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door. I headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche, with a PBS station on the radio. I roared into the parking lot and ran up to the big glass doors... they didn't open. The library was closed.

'As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye.

'"Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Thinker's Anonymous poster.

'This is why I am what I am today: a recovering thinker. I never miss a TA meeting. At each meeting we watch a non-educational video; last week it was "Porky's." Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting.

'I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home. Life just seemed... easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking.

Anonymous."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 08:02PM

I too suffer from an addiction to thinking but I'm darned if I'm going to give it up!!!

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 08:04PM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 08:07PM

I guess I have a thinking problem, and there's no way I want to give it up.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 08:10PM

But by the time I got to this passage, my mind went into the gutter.

"I soon had a reputation as a heavy fucker. One day the boss called me in. He said, "Skippy, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your fucking has become a real problem. If you don't stop fucking on the job, you'll have to find another job."

Dirty dirty dirty!

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 10:47PM

'"Friend, is heavy fucking ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Fucker's Anonymous poster.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 08:17PM

Posted by: levite ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 11:27PM

Ide rather be a slave to drugs than a slave to mormon
priests.

LEVITE

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 11:31PM

Oddly, I've never heard that being out.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 01:07AM

Posted by: BenJensen ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 01:15AM

Well played. Well played. Now can I get back to my book of mormon? I don't like to put it down for more than an hour at a time or "free" thoughts start polluting my mind...

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 09:28AM

If we stop thinking maybe we should get rebaptised, we would then fit right in.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 09:47AM

Could you make it into a video and post it on Youtube? You can create it with Xtranormal.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 10:35AM

Thinking is not really the problem.

Problems come when members start to question the morg's "stinking thinking".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.