Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Yomo ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 07:32PM

Stumbled upon a talk by Susan Bednar. I can't believe I actually read the whole thing, it made me sick.

"Last year my husband and I attended a fast and testimony meeting where a young woman stood to bear her testimony, profess her love for the Savior, and her desire for a temple marriage in a terribly immodest and inappropriate outfit. The skirt hung down around her hips; and the top she wore was not only tight, but short--it didn't meet the top of her skirt. Every time she moved, she revealed her bare back or her stomach. In my judgment, this is the height of hypocrisy. If we love the Savior, we will follow the counsel of his leaders to dress modestly. If we desire a temple marriage, we will dress so as to qualify for that blessing."

I find her statements to be the height of hypocrisy. If someone loves the savior, they shouldn't give a crap about how some one is dressed.
Maybe instead of judging people she should actually follow the saviors commandments to love her neighbor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 07:34PM

" If we desire a temple marriage, we will dress so as to qualify for that blessing."

she sums up Mormonism quite nicely, actually - it doesn't matter what's going on on the inside - only what image you portray on the outside

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 12:13AM

+1

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 07:39PM

You "qualify" for blessings by following someone else's biased idea of what you should wear. In her idea, this is the height of hypocrisy? I think hypocrisy reaches far greater heights than that.

Posted by: Yomo ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 07:43PM

Here's more from her talk:

"I see midriffs, shirts with necklines way too low, and all those leopard fabrics . . . . They look like they're for lounge singers. Whether you go to K-Mart or an expensive department store, all I see are risque outfits."

At first her talk ticked me off but now I'm finding it comical.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 09:02PM

http://countrywebsites.lds.org/ar/images/stories/Noticias_Locales/201001_003A.jpg

Dear Sister Bednar,

Your black-and-white top is completely inappropriate for a daughter of Heavenly Father and a wife of the Lord's anointed, even Elder Helmet Hair. Your top ties at the waist and the tails point down like an arrow drawing attention to your sacred lady parts, even your ultra-pure and uber-righteous vagina. I shudder to think that your choice of black-and-white is a hidden desire to take a whirl in a swirl.

If Elder Helmet Hair doth not pay it enough attention, you must supplicate the Lord to soften your husband's heart and harden his, errrr, uhmm, resolve so you lose your need to deliberately draw the world's attention to your crotchal region.

I also find your cross-topped headband to be idolatrous. What next, a golden calf belt buckle?

As your sister in judging other women, I call you to repentance.
In the name of Surfer Jesus is hawwwt...Ahhh, men!

Posted by: flyboy ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 10:54PM

Is that a Crucifix behind her in that photo? An actual symbol of the Whore of all the Earth? Coming out of her head?

Surrender Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://countrywebsites.lds.org/ar/images/stories/N
> oticias_Locales/201001_003A.jpg
>
> Dear Sister Bednar,
>
> Your black-and-white top is completely
> inappropriate for a daughter of Heavenly Father
> and a wife of the Lord's anointed, even Elder
> Helmet Hair. Your top ties at the waist and the
> tails point down like an arrow drawing attention
> to your sacred lady parts, even your ultra-pure
> and uber-righteous vagina. I shudder to think that
> your choice of black-and-white is a hidden desire
> to take a whirl in a swirl.
>
> If Elder Helmet Hair doth not pay it enough
> attention, you must supplicate the Lord to soften
> your husband's heart and harden his, errrr, uhmm,
> resolve so you lose your need to deliberately draw
> the world's attention to your crotchal region.
>
> I also find your cross-topped headband to be
> idolatrous. What next, a golden calf belt buckle?
>
> As your sister in judging other women, I call you
> to repentance.
> In the name of Surfer Jesus is hawwwt...Ahhh, men!

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 01:37AM

I couldn't tell if it was a crucifix or a fancy cross, but that's what I was referring to re the idolatrous cross-headband. It looks like it's attached to her head. Maybe it's really a crown on the head of her royal judgmental highness and not a mere lowly headband. ;-)

So happy to see you back. I've missed your posts.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 07:50PM

Is this for real? I might have to have a link to the actual talk to believe this one.

Posted by: Uh Huh Her ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 07:53PM

I'd like a link too.

(And OT but I love your username, closer2fine. That's a song I must give a spin again soon!)

Date: October 08, 2013 07:55PM

;)

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 07:58PM

What she meant...

"... Every time she moved, she revealed her garments which were ill fitting, pulled up to her armpits, rolled down 4 times, and still gave her wedgies... If we desire a temple marriage, we will dress so as to qualify for that blessing."

Posted by: Zelphster ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 08:12PM

The name of her talk is "reverencing womanhood"?!?

"I can't think of a better way to reverence womanhood than by judging a woman only by the length of her cap sleeves as she publicly bares her spiritual goals." - Satan

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 10:53AM

Date: October 08, 2013 08:20PM

Wow....that is some self righteous condemnation! I love how she blames the girls for the group of inappropriate men.

I honestly wonder if she will ever have another speaking engagement.....that was horrible.

Posted by: Zelphster ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 08:26PM

"Sadly, some who may benefit from this message aren't here tonight; and there will be others who do need the reminder who will be offended and may go home thinking I'm a self-righteous, pious old "fuddy-duddy.""

Self-righteous, pious old "fuddy-duddy" is a good start but does not nearly go far enough in describing you.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 08:40PM

Wow. Just wow.

She totally misses the point, too. Marriage is not a state a woman achieves because she "qualifies" for it by being spiritual and obedient.

Women get married only after a man finds them attractive, dates them, falls in love (or lust) with them, and decides he wants to make the relationship permanent. Like it or not, a woman wearing a frumpy sack dress is less likely to attract a man.

I think it's ridiculous that clothing styles determine "worthiness" or one's commitment to following Jeezus' teachings. Wouldn't it make more sense to use other criteria, like taking care of the poor, sick, and needy?

Posted by: ANM ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 11:00AM

icedtea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Women get married only after a man finds them
> attractive, dates them, falls in love (or lust)
> with them, and decides he wants to make the
> relationship permanent. Like it or not, a woman
> wearing a frumpy sack dress is less likely to
> attract a man.
>

You are kidding right?

Cause, I seem to recall a much more active role in dating/choosing a husband/deciding to get married than what my dress looked like and hoping someone would pick me.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 11:37AM

Well, for a TBM woman in the patriarchy, being attractive is absolutely necessary. If your aspiration is TBM, you're not aspiring to the Supreme Court or some other role in which your accomplishments are the basis of judgment, and how attractive a man thinks you look is immaterial. A TBM woman has very few options, and competition is keen for the RM who'll take care of you and yours--and do it well--for the rest of your life.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 08:41PM

One of the things that disgusted me while growing up in the church was the way people judged one another according to their appearance. I remember a guy who short hair and beard. The other men talked behind his back, and called him immodest and filthy-looking. God, I hated those people.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 10:46PM

Has this woman ever heard of repentance? People can and do attend tscc sometimes in the need of guidance and other stuff. People can repent, even of such SHOCKING things as a bit of midriff showing. NOT that I think she needs to repent. She probably looked great. And instead of hearing 'the words of her heart", this woman is judging madly. Riiiiight!!!!!

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 01:46AM

Fucking stuck up c<^t!!! Nasty pox riddled wh0@e. I hope she burns in hell with her uber-prick of a husband.

How dare she judge someone else based on what clothes they're wearing. Puss filled c<^t.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 01:53AM

I am sorry, Yomo, but the speaker broke one of the two Great Commandments of Mormonism, so she should be rebuked.

1. Thou shalt look the way you are told.

2. Thou shalt act the way you are told.

Pretty lofty stuff.

Anagrammy

Posted by: ellenl ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 07:14AM

Animal prints are sleezy?

In the real world they are, um, fashionable.

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 10:50AM

"all that leopard print"

Reminds me of Cher's spandex-clad character who wore earrings with live goldfish in them while giving fashion advice: "Leopard drives men wild, honey."

Leopard. Really?

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 11:09AM

this reminds me of that 'christmas shoes' bit by patton oswalt. its about some crappy song about a poor kid trying to buy his terminally ill mom shoes so she will look nice for jesus when she gets to heaven.

He really ridicules the idea that jesus would care how you look when you get to heaven. The whole thing is HILARIOUS (but NSFW!!!) if you need a laugh after reading the OP I would recommend it.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 11:59AM

I'm wearing ill fiting hand-me-downs, in an attempt to at least look like a teenager and to not be wearing clothes that make me look like my grandmother, this is what you get.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 12:19PM

I cannot imagine being college-aged and listening to a speaker like this. Isn't this the age that you want your children to be opening their eyes instead of having them slammed shut with bolts attached? There is no place in her talk (which I somehow made it through) does Susan give the students a choice; go against what the cult teaches and you are Satan's right hand woman.

Her repetition of the talk's theme was nauseating. I would love to have heard what some of the students REALLY thought of this talk when they were out of earshot of being arrested.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 11:30AM

I went to BYU and had no problem with the dress code or dressing modestly then. I'm even more careful now that I don't have the cute, young 20-something bod I used to have. I'm sure Ms. Bednar can relate. Maybe that is the cause of her bitterness toward young ladies - she can't look hot any more so no one else is allowed to either. Look who she married. Her judgment in all matters of taste is extremely suspect but this talk just reeks of sour grapes. "I'm stuck in middle age, married to a man who never makes me feel good about myself. I'm going to tear down everyone else who is happy and well-adjusted because if I can't look hot and feel good about myself, no one else can."

Honestly, I'm not trying to criticize Ms. Bednar's view of modesty so I can justify wearing a little black leather mini skirt and a shirt cut down to the waistline of said skirt. What horrifies me is her willingness to rip people down for not complying with her opinion. Anyone who belittles someone else to bully them into behaving a certain way is a special kind of nasty.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 11:39AM

Perhaps-she's-been-brined-too-long-ly yrs,

S

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.