Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rusty123 ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 10:55PM

From Grant Palmers article,

"The one million dollar gift, plus their totally obedient attitude makes it easy for them to go along when they find out the church is not true. For these reasons and others, he doesn’t expect any apostle to ever expose the truth about the foundational claims."

Don't you think though that if an apostle really knew it wasn't true and lets say he knew he was dying soon, that he wouldn't just spill the beans? If an apostle came out and said it wasn't true he would be famous forever more than any other prophet or apostle save J.S. in my opinion. Also he would be doing the right thing by declaring the real truth about morminism.

Thoughts

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 12:10AM

Family. The family that is dependent for generations on the Apostles status is the reason none of the BIG 15 would ever express their doubts.

Posted by: Xq ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 12:22AM

The big shots are all embedded in so many layers of handlers that such a disclosure would not see the light of day

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 10:01PM

Xq Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The big shots are all embedded in so many layers
> of handlers that such a disclosure would not see
> the light of day

"Rosebud...."

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 12:43AM

And how many of them have managed to get sweetheart deals and jobs for their family because of their position?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 12:49AM

A paid man is a kept man.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 12:54AM

IMO, they're all probably way more brainwashed than any of us were. Think about it, their entire lives have been absorbed by the Morg to such an extent for so long, that it has been etched into every part of who they are. I would guess that they are now utterly incapable of doubting it.

They may cover up some unsavory information about their history, in order to avoid damaging people's faith in what they believe is the true church. But apart from that, as far as they are concerned there are no beans to spill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 12:55AM by nickname.

Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 06:51PM

Why? They are f*cking cowards. That is why.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 07:00PM

I'm convinced they truly think their god talks to them the way they "think things."

When they get a notion to call someone as stake president, they think their god is talking to them and the process is working.

When they sit in their Q12 meetings and they all decide to build a new mall because it will generate revenue, I think they think that's their god talking to them.

And I am sure they are all convinced their god put them in their positions because they were the perfect people to be there.

They no doubt are aware of "those little flecks of history," but they write those off as noise-level.

There are no beans to be spilled in their minds. They think it's all true and their status is to them proof of that.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 08:22PM

I think that even if they did know it wasn't exactly true, they would likely think that the better action is to not disrupt the way of life and beliefs of the thousands who believe.

They probably think that they must protect the lie because too many people could be hurt.

They might think that it is better to perpetuate the lie than be honest for the greater good.

Not that I think that is the benevolent thing to do, but they might.

Who knows. I really don't know how they couldn't realize it is a farce but when you are that far in and in charge maybe they only see the world in terms that the church really is true.

They have too much to lose. They can't imagine being a small fish in a big pond instead of a big fish in the tiny church pond.

They have invested so much at this point that they will do anything to protect their investment.

Posted by: sebcole ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 09:26PM

I think it would be impossible to think that way when the main tenant of the church is truth - truth would take center stage in the morals of such a person who has the drive to get so far inside the institution. A natural reaction would be to spill the beans in order to stop generations of people being mislead and their quality of life adversely affected. From a basic instinct level - the truth shall set them and many others free, and they shall be rewarded karmically for this.

Posted by: MarkW ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 09:58PM

It's been done before. Consider William Law who was a counselor in the First Presidency at the time, who spilled the beans in the Nauvoo Expositor, and look where that got him in the eyes of most of the Church. If an apostle were to come out and say that the Church isn't true the rest of the Top 15 would come together and label him as "one of the very elect who has been deceived", telling the Church membership "nothing to see here; move along" and most/many would go on without ever really looking at what the former apostle was now saying. In all likelihood many of the apostle's own family members would turn against him, just like Tom Phillips' family did against him. Such is the mindset of a cult.

Posted by: ellenl ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 10:02PM

I have wondered why this doesn't happen more often (leaders dropping out).

The fame and acclaim must be a factor, and the fact that they've left their professions behind in order to serve the church.

Reactions and repercussions to spouses, children, and grandchildren could be another factor.

I think that even if one left, he would keep the reasons under wraps.

I live and hope, though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.