Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 12:30PM

I refer to her as my husband's "ex" daughter because she and her sister disowned him and have apparently adopted their stepfather as their dad. He may have legally adopted them, for all we know.

Anyway, my husband secretly reads his birth daughter's blog and she just got her mission call... She summed it up in one sentence.

"Here I go to South Salt Lake City"...

Guess she's disappointed, but I have no way of knowing for sure. So any of you folks in that area might be running into one of my husband's biological relatives. Look out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 12:57PM by knotheadusc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 12:50PM

The world's first KFC franchise is there, as well as most of the SLValley strip clubs. The west side is light industrial. The east side is older residential, bordering trendy Sugar House.

Date: October 09, 2013 12:57PM

I wouldn't know. If I were LDS and got a mission call to South Salt Lake City, it would seem exotic to me. I have never been to Utah.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 01:26PM

first, best, biggest, only" descriptions as when I lived in the heart of TBM dumb in Utah.

Being from NY-I wondered what they were trying to prove by using these descriptions for the most mundane things.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 01:11PM

Yes, I can tell from your calling Utah exotic that you have never been here to the land of the unbelievable. Call it Lop-sided with Stunning Scenery or Never-Never Land, Mormoney by Too-Many, but IMHO, it does not qualify to be called Exotic, unless it's Exotically One-huge-Pain-in-the-Neck.

Date: October 09, 2013 01:12PM

Fry sauce and funeral potatoes have never so much as crossed my lips...

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 01:16PM

Your ass would like. :)

Date: October 09, 2013 01:22PM

My ass is always looking for presents.

Date: October 09, 2013 01:53PM

I can't say about the funeral potatoes, because I don't think I've ever had them, but I've had lots of fry sauce and can attest that it's an excellent ass present ... with fries, of course. Not by itself. :)

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 05:09PM

Yes, fry sauce is ass excellent. Although, the best fry sauce is the Ultimate Dipping Sauce at the Training Table.

If fry sauce could make you "slap 'yo mama", this stuff would qualify.

Date: October 09, 2013 01:57PM

my mom mentioned funeral potatoes in our conversation the Friday before last, before she said the thing that started the argument. I was all, "What? You've had funeral potatoes?" and asked her to describe them. I didn't think they sounded good, but she said they are, and I do trust her judgment when it comes to food.

Date: October 09, 2013 02:03PM

Bill and I once ate at Hamburger Hamlet in Crystal City, VA and they had something on the menu called "Those Potatoes", which sounded kind of like what I've heard funeral potatoes are. It was basically a bunch of hashbrowns with sour cream and cheese.

Date: October 09, 2013 09:00PM

Not that I don't like sour cream; I do. It just doesn't sound good with hashbrowns and cheese. To me that sounds like more of a sloppy mess.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 09:04PM by munchybotaz.

Date: October 09, 2013 09:13PM

I don't actually like sour cream much either. I don't remember being overly impressed by "Those Potatoes". I notice they are no longer on the menu.

We did go to Red Robin and had some fry sauce tonight, though. Don't know if it's the same as the Utah stuff, but it hit the spot.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 01:27PM

Fry sauce, funeral potatoes, and jello placed inside the beehive would make a new appropriate Utah symbol. Can't have the state getting stale.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 01:45PM

What is considered South Salt Lake City?

Date: October 09, 2013 01:46PM

I'm sure someone who is familiar with the area will pipe up. All I can say is that it doesn't appear that it's a location that thrills the ex kid.

I imagine reactions to that mission call are kind of like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHGrVJpYTA0&feature=player_embedded

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 01:51PM

South Salt Lake... Such a beautiful part of the world.

Posted by: lazyeye ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 02:56PM

When I was dispatching fire departments, South Salt Lake was roughly bounded on the north by 2100 S, to approximately 3300 S as the south boundary, 700 E on the east and about 900 to 1700 on the west (mostly industrial and I only really remember the streets that we dispatched to). The surrounding areas were Salt Lake City to the north, West Valley City on the west, and unincorporated Salt Lake County on the east and south (South Salt Lake may have incorporated bits of this county area over the last 20 years). Unofficially, some might consider everything south of the boundary as South Salt Lake until you hit the Murray border at about 4500 S.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 03:23PM

South Salt Lake boundaries:
Jordan River is west boundary, about 1000 W
2100 S is north boundary
3900 S is south boundary
700 E is east boundary, except 500 E from 2100 s to 2900 S

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 03:29PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 700 E is east boundary, except 500 E from 2100 s to 2900 S

which is considered?

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 05:14PM

Sweet Baby Dr. HeySeuss, could you imagine 18 to 24 months of being trapped in that tiny geographic shithole? (No offense intended to anyone here that lives in those boundaries. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it is the size of a postage stamp with absolutely nothing interesting or noteworthy there.)

Posted by: Brethren,adeiu ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 05:22PM

A friend of mine went to South SLC on his mission. He had absolutely nothing good to say about his mission experience there.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 05:42PM

Well, maybe this is ex-daughter's first step out of the morg and back with her dad! Here's hoping, knotheadusc!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 05:42PM by Adult of god.

Date: October 09, 2013 06:53PM

Well, I doubt it... she is very alienated from him. But one never knows. Her older brother (husband's former stepson who always called my husband "dad" until the child support gravy train ended) came around for awhile. But then it became clear he was using my husband for money. When the money dried up, so did the relationship.

I won't say ex daughter will do the same thing... for all we know, she thinks my husband is some kind of perverted, sin heavy, alcoholic pedophile monster (he is none of those things, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what she believes). She refuses to speak to him and hasn't since 2004.

Frankly, at this point, I'd rather she didn't come back into our lives. Not unless she's had a serious personality adjustment. She and her brother and sister really hurt my husband deeply. I'm sure they were also hurt when he divorced their mother, but he did not deserve to be disowned and so completely disrespected by them.

If Mormonism and their mother's third husband makes them happy, I'm happy to let them have it.

Posted by: TW-RM ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 06:05PM

It's most likely the Salt Lake City South mission which essentially is the southern half of Salt Lake County.

Unless she's Spanish speaking she'll be in places like Sandy and Draper and South Jordan which is about as TBM as they come (at least publicly...lots of skeletons in closets in those places).

I grew up there, she won't teach anyone, but will eat LOTS of food provided by members and have to listen to stories about a cousin's ex-girlfriend's brother's roommate who served a mission in wherever your husband's daughter is from.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 08:48PM

Why in heavens name are MISSIONARIES needed in SALT LAKE CITY ??????

What do they DO in that heavily Morgbot place? Is there ANYBODY in that city who doesn't know about Joey Smith's cult already?

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 08:58PM

SLC itself is less than half LDS. Judging from my exmo/jackmo cousins who live in the city, the inactivity rates in some wards rival those in wards outside of Utah! The south suburbs might be a different story, though. My uber-TBM cousin in Draper is moving because, as she puts it, "The ward is so weak and evil." Their activity rate is about 80 percent and everyone is BIC, wives are SAHMs, etc.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 09:01PM

A friend's son did his Mission in Provo..if you can imagine there are people to be converted there! My somewhat brainwashed friend said it was to convert those who had just moved to Utah and wanted to join the Church. Mind you that was probably exotica compared to the Canuck Morridor. Ya right.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 09:02PM

Sounds like a bit of karmic punishment coming down on her head.

Date: October 09, 2013 09:23PM

I found an old thread about "dreaded mission calls to Idaho and Utah"... http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,99910,100170

I don't know how people see her in the church, but she is definitely not Mormon royalty. She's not unattractive, but she's not particularly "hot". She doesn't come from a family with money or prestige. And she's probably not the brightest of the lot, despite her year at BYU. I'm sure that lowering the mission age has made things more expensive in the short term for the church because more people are applying to go. And sending them to "local" missions is no doubt cheaper, especially when someone comes from a family that doesn't have a lot of money to contribute.

She's definitely a gung ho Mormon from what I've seen... I feel sorry for her companions. I have a feeling she'll be a tightass about the rules. She is very extreme in the way she behaves, even for a Mormon.

I could be wrong, though. Who knows?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.