Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 10:37AM

Do you consider yourself a reformed janitor?

Anyone plan to do "testimonkey" at EXmo Conf. in SLC by starting (like they do in AA) by saying, "my name is XXXX and I am a janitor." or . . .

In years to come will this be a devisive thing on
RfM where the Reformed Janitors will say the old timer PJs (Pre-Janitors) had it so easy waltzing in with the place clean.

Pay Lay Alol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 10:43AM by Jerry the Aspousetate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 02:09PM

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 04:33PM

I was already well on my way out when the restroom edict came. My only remaining calling was clean-up crew captain. It amounted to once every other month for one Saturday morning-no big deal really, when its just vacuuming and setting up chairs, and cleaning windows. 1 hour on a good turnout, or 2 hours if only a few people showed. When the letter came that added the restroom duties, I emailed the Bishop and told him I was done as far as that calling went. It came as no surprise to him, he already knew I was on my way out of activity.

For fence-sitter NOM types, I'm sure it caused some more thinking at the very least. I know that of one other captain in my ward that has since faded off the scene, but I couldn't say why. For people like me, you could say it was one of the last straws that broke the camel's back.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 04:40PM

The cleaning policy was my salvation. Wondering how other members around the world were feeling about this stupid new rule, I decided to google...... and within two minutes I had found this site and the rest is history.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 04:42PM

And very cool!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 06:41PM

Being forced? That's another matter. I would never join or remain in a church with that expectation, not if they expected it of me or of any fellow congregant.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:45PM

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: February 04, 2011 11:59PM

but it was Prop 8 that finally pushed me over the line.

Posted by: joesmyth ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:23AM

I think I missed the "janitor thing." :|

Prop 8 was (i thought) unusually low. We're not to talk "politics" here, so I won't even mention the various political and pseudo-political figures that sully the image of the church even worse than years of membership can. Sometimes it makes me angry, mostly it makes me sad. I'm pretty sure it's indefensible, which is the part I get angry about, as people do try. Sad.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:21AM

My parents really needed the job (Dad was school teacher, 12 kids, sahm).

Anyway, my dad acted like it was no big deal, but it hit them like a ton of bricks. This all happened when they were supporting 2 of my brothers on mormon missions.

The church takes and takes and people like my parents get screwed over.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 03:54AM

Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 09:11AM

Instructions from Church Headquarters (scan)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/32605347/Mormons-FIRING-THE-JANITORS

-Letter Template for use by Stake Presidencies (scan)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/38795446/Mormon-Church-Letter-Appointing-Members-as-Janitors

You can find the original posting in the archives. Just click search and enter my moniker in the search by author field and look for a post titled, "By popular demand, scans and transcripts.. "

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 09:24AM

Thank you.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 09:41AM

rt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you.

Yes, thank you.

BTW... The use of certain chemicals for cleaning in the UK by people not qualified or trained in their use might be in breach of the COSH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) regulations.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 07:47AM

TSCC is a big corporate business.

Everyone knows that -for example- The Church of England and the Catholic Church own a lot of land and have shares in businesses. Over the years people have donated land, property and company shares because they felt it was the right thing to do. But the operation of these business affairs is kept separate from the Church. The Church of England has the Church Commissioners to do this. The money is used to help fund the wages of vicars, youth outreach pastors, etc.

So people do not mind being asked to help clean the church. Though many do employ a cleaner. Especially larger churches, cathedrals, etc., were janitors and staff are employed to look after the fabric of the buildings, grounds, etc. Churches also have flower rotas for arranging flower displays, etc.

But there seems to be no separation of church and business in TSCC. But it is interesting to know that it is TSCC that abuses the good nature of it's members.

TSCC do not want volunteer helpers, they want pressed labour.

Posted by: Bro.R.H. ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 10:47AM

Has this policy been applied consistently over the entire church?

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 10:50AM

When there is church cleaning done by members in regular churches, the labor is usually given in lieu of monetary donations.

Only rarely do mwmbers donate both time and money, it is not even expected.

Congregations usually know exacty how much SSs they have to work with during the year, and almost all money stays where it was donated.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.