Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 04:02PM

I just started "Beautiful Boy" by David Sheff and will read "Tweak" by Nic Sheff afterwards.

Are you reading anything worth posting about?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 04:18PM

Not sure it's worth posting about, but I'm reading "Speaker for The Dead" by Orson Scott Card. There's so much Portuguese in this book I wonder how a non-speaker could understand it.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:12PM

I am reading "Slave Species of God" by Michael Tellinger.

I challenge all to read and contemplate the message of this book.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:16PM

How is "Beautiful Boy?" I have it on my Kindle, but I keep putting it on the back burner while I read other things. Should I make it my next read?

Date: October 11, 2013 05:20PM

My friend suggested it and she's got pretty good reading taste. She said it was heart breaking but good. I'm not able to put it down yet:)

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 08:37PM

I've read both "Beautiful Boy" and "Tweak." Both are very good.

Date: October 11, 2013 11:08PM

I always love doing this thread. So many great suggestions. :)

Haha oops- meant to post at the bottom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2013 11:09PM by Pil-Latté.

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:33PM

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:36PM

The New Testiment - I am looking for more evidence to argue against the LDS doctrines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2013 05:36PM by brothernotofjared.

Posted by: anonthistime ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:48PM

let us know if you find anything good.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:39PM

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, a follow up to the Shining.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:18AM

The Shining scared the crap out of me. That was the last King book I read it scared me so much. Is this one worth taking a chance on?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:41PM

http://www.amazon.com/The-Most-Human-Artificial-Intelligence/dp/0307476707

I've never read a book so close to my personal internal mental vibe. I get this book.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:45PM

Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds of Angry, Controlling Men by Lundy Bancroft. Because my SIL is having serious problems with the scumbag currently claiming to be her husband. I gave her a copy but doubt she'll read it herself (and I warned her to keep it at work). So I'm reading it to see if I can at least spoon feed her ideas when we talk. It's an excellent book.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Does-That-Controlling-ebook/dp/B000Q9J0RO/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381527879&sr=1-1&keywords=lundy+bancroft

Posted by: anonthistime ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:47PM

just starting Boundaries by dr. henry cloud

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 06:06PM

Posted by: NewPerspective ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:57PM

I read Dark Spaces by Gillian Flynn recently and loved it. I would recommend reading some reviews or a summary before reading to see if it's your kind of book (graphic content).

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 05:57PM

I have been reading My Story by Elizabeth Smart and Chris Stewart. I was curious about the book on several levels---how much detail of her ordeal would be revealed, how Mormoney it would be, and how honest and forthright would it be. I have been pleasantly surprised on how well it is written, but honestly I would have liked the story to have been told just my Elizabeth herself. Maybe that was not even a possibility given what she went through and another person needed to be with her as she relived her nightmare.

I do appreciate and thank both of them for writing the book and sharing Elizabeth's story. I myself hope that it helps Mormons who still believe in the silly myth of MORmONISM see the religion for what it is---a cult that began with the lazy con-man Joe coming up with a scam that has fleeced a lot of people. Elizabeth Smart's abductor was following in Joe's footsteps big time, in my humble opinion.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 08:30PM

I read this a few days ago - it's a pretty gruesome read because she is very forthright about the horrible things she went through. Also, a lot of how she talked about working through her own recovery made sense - I wondered how she'd done that without professional help. It was worth reading but I don't think I'd read it a second time.

Posted by: caffiend not logged in. ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 06:04PM

"Mormonism: An American Fraud." Not bad, but basically just another feminist screed on the subject. I'd say most posters on this board will find little new or interesting here. Well-written but underwhelming.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 06:11PM

Just finished The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Beautiful exploration of what it means to hide your true self.

Now reading, Where'd you go Bernadette." Seems to be an exploration of hiding your wacky self.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 09:12PM

Yay for The Elegance of the Hedgehog! That's one of my favorite books.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 09:14PM

I'm reading The Little Red Guard by Wenguang Huang. It's about growing up in China in the 1970s--fascinating and extremely well written.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 06:13PM

Hey gal, just finished "The Evolution of God," by Robert Wright, but you already knew that. ; )

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 06:24PM

Dorothy Hammil's A Skating Life.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 06:56PM

A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 07:41PM

I am doing my best to get through several months of post viral syndrome. SO while my body won't do anything I am reading anything I can get my hands on to keep my mind active. But anything TOO heavy and I am exhausted by it. Have read LOTS of novels, but also "The Verbally Abusive Relationship", by Patricia Evans. It was recommended on a thread here and I ordered it on eBay. It is GREAT!!

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 08:44PM

I just finished "A History of Ancient Egypt - From the First Farmers to the Great Pyramid," by John Romer. Very interesting book. He starts around 4000 BC and moves from Neolithic farmers up to the building of the pyramids. I've read a lot about ancient Egypt, but I still learned all sorts of new interesting things.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 08:48PM

William W Johnston, Blood Valley. It's a western. Also reading "the first mountain man" series by him.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 08:49PM

Finishing the series of JA Jance. Detective Baumount.

Then I will finish the series of FBI detectives by Catherine Coulter.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 08:51PM

I'm re-reading "Micro Fiction," which was edited by Jerome Stern. It's a collection of short short stories by different authors with a 300 word limit per story. Like fine poetry, these little gems seem to leap off the page and can be read over and over without fatigue.

Posted by: Joseph Smith ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 08:52PM

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 09:07PM

The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. A wonderful book with concepts useful for former TBM's and especially Molly Mormons.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 09:07PM

Hh heh, of course you are reading rocks JS. what else would you be doing? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Posted by: jimipaine ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 09:39PM

Several very promising recommendations!

I'm just finishing a book that I would very strongly recommend, as well. The author is Steven Pinker, an experimental psychologist and one of the world’s foremost writers on language, mind, and human nature. The book is called "How the Mind Works."

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 11:24PM

Margaret Atwood 'Oryx and Crake' trilogy. Different, but pretty good... I highly recommend 'The Husbands Secret'.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:03AM

The Book of Answers to Everything by Jeremy Griffiths of the World Transformation Movement. It explains why religion is obsolete in a modern world.

This is a great read for anyone who is out or wants to be out and is looking for a little relief.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:09AM

The Circle by Dave Eggers
great book, highly recommend

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.