Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 09:14AM

What does it mean to be human?

What purpose does human life give to the universe?

Humans in the most common description are at best parasites. We live on a plant that we consume. We regenerate plant life for food, repopulate animal life for consumption and take substance from the planet for self gratification and to sustain and perpetuate life. As humans we will consume all resources until we will lay waste to the planet. But note that the earth in billions of years will not survive the suns eventual consumption of this planet. It would seem we are like cancer cells that take over a human body and kill the host before it's natural life would end. Take away ideologies, governments, customs, nationalities, religion and all institutions and we are left with is humans as parasites eating up a planet.So in the end, what are we as humans?

I am not saying we don't enjoy life or give life meaning. We enjoy family, building, constructing and changing our life to feel fulfillment. To leave a legacy for our prosperity is engrained in our brains.

Our intellect and self awareness defines us as unique as far as we are aware. We as humans feel that we can survive beyond life, but that seems more likely to be a false hope. But yet we conger up a greater being like a god to save us from the reality of death,a final end to our life.
So again, in reality what are we ? What does it mean to be human?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ava ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 09:20AM

I recommend reading "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. It was difficult to read. He was a psychotherapist and then was placed in concentration camps by the Nazis. He shares what he thinks gives life meaning. To him, it's being kind to other people - thinking before you act, not giving in to violence, etc.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 10:20AM

<<What purpose does human life give to the universe?>>

We don't give any purpose to the universe. We exist simply because the conditions allow it. We mean nothing to the universe because the universe isn't a thinking, feeling entity. The universe existed before human life and will exist after we're all gone. We're just a microscopic blip in a microscopic corner of unimaginable vastness. Get over the self-importance crap about humanity. You matter to you and the people who love you. You matter to society to the degree you impact it. The universe doesn't give a crap. It can't.

Posted by: caffiend not logged interest ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 11:07AM

We're all just accidental specks of cosmic dust, then.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:28PM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 11:03AM

This peculiar little planet somewhere in the vastness has developed life over millions of year. Some of its life has evolved into human and we could be the first life ever, anywhere. What awe! Or maybe we aren't the only ones, but still the miracle of it all is breathtaking, thrilling.

So here we are, these amazing creatures made of billions of cells that each interact with each other. We have senses, we have cognizance, thought patterns and the ability to expand and grow. The gifts that evolution has left at our fingertips is magnificent. 2013 and the possibilities are practically limitless.

Do you waste that? Do you believe in Mormon God and squander your time and energies and talents by doing nothing more following a leader? Clean his toilets? Give him your money? Let him tell you what to think, what to say, how to be? Do you give him the time that could be used doing a billion other beautiful things like show a child the world, show yourself great literature, create something you have always wanted to, meet and get to know people from every walk of life and be fascinated by who they are and what they have known?

If you are Mormon, there is no need to watch Night of the Living Dead, because you can see it for yourself every Sunday.

For me, the meaning of life is opening yourself to every possibility and going for at least a few of the ones that call your name, and being as kind as you can to everyone else along the way.

Posted by: caffiend not logged in ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 11:10AM

Just conscious ones with a self-derived sense of purpose.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 11:14AM

Yep. That's about it. Haha. But I still like a lot of wordiness to try to make it sound a little grander.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 11:20AM

Maybe I'm missing your point, but you seem to be saying there are immoral aspects to raising crops and livestock. We may be parasites on this planet but so is everything else. Is a pine tree immoral when it grows and sends out branches to capture the sunlight? That over-consumption causes the smaller trees around it to fail. What's the meaning of a pine tree's life? Does it have more or less value than the tree next to it?

The universe created us and the universe will destroy us. When we're gone there won't be anything to show for us having been here. Kind of depressing but it doesn't mean I can't really enjoy a nice grilled steak for dinner tonight.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 11:34AM

...just microbes at the top of the food chain.

We're #1!
We're #1!
We're #1!

<waving my foam finger "#1" glove, eco-green, but mine is middle finger rampant>

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:32PM

That's the best part of being an atheist! No one assigns a purpose to your life, you get to go out and create your own.

Posted by: Elbert Hubbard ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:33PM

"Don't take life too seriously. You never get out of it alive anyway." -Me

Posted by: finalfrontier ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 12:47PM

I have mine, you have yours, everyone's life has its own meaning. There is no universal meaning of life.

"Life is a suicide mission" - OSC

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:27PM

I love the statement by nickname, "That's the best part of being an atheist! No one assigns a purpose to your life, you get to go out and create your own."

And also the quote from Carl Sagan, " To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die."

I LOVE the freedom of being my own person----the freedom from guilt and the freedom to be my own explorer on this planet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 01:28PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:29PM

Before we talk about "What is the meaning of life?" we should ask "Is their a meaning to life?"

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 01:50PM

There is meaning to life. It's not universal, and it doesn't come from any imaginary being. We all get to create and define it for ourselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 01:50PM by kimball.

Date: October 12, 2013 02:24PM

Are you saying an amoeba defines it's own meaning? Or are you saying that an amoeba is not life?

Date: October 12, 2013 02:34PM

By "we" I implied humans, just to clarify. I can't speak to an amoeba's ability to give its life meaning, but I imagine not having a brain is an impediment. Whether or not it's capable of creating or defining meaning, life can still exist without meaning. I recognize the word "meaning" is very subjective and loosely defined, but all the more reason individuals can define it for themselves (or, if you're going to get technical on me, individual who are capable of making definitions can define it for themselves).

Date: October 12, 2013 02:36PM

You are only talking about the meaning of being human. Humanity is a very, very small part of what we consider life.

And if we can define the "meaning" for ourselves, there is no real meaning of life, it is a meaning of OUR life, two different ideas.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 02:38PM by MJ.

Date: October 12, 2013 02:43PM

Being human is 100% of my personal life. I'm not going to try to define meaning for your life, or for an amoeba's. It's not my place, and not my concern. I don't believe in universal captical-"M" Meaning, but that doesn't mean that I don't believe in meaning. If I had any reason to believe Meaning existed I'd look for it, but not only do I not, I also don't really care. Having meaning in my own personal life is all that matters to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 02:48PM by kimball.

Date: October 12, 2013 02:48PM

As I said, you are defining a meaning for YOUR life, not a meaning for "life". You are not addressing the actual question asked.

BTW, I was f*king agreeing with what you just said.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 02:23PM

...because anybody's individual "meaning to life" is just the long mathematical chance for a unique neural synaptic combination. Nothing more than a zillion philosophical monkeys typing, typing, typing...

How ennobling!

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 03:05PM

What is the meaning of life? I have been thinking a lot about this. Do you mean some inherent meaning or some self derived meaning? In order to answer that question, I believe you first have to answer this one "what is the end goal?" Meaning is easy with an end goal in mind. Think about every thing you do, there is a beginning, and an end, and something(s) that you wish to accomplish in between. Those goals in between give that activity meaning. Sometimes goals are implicit, sometimes explicit.

As they say in German, "fragen über fragen".

Just a lot of things to think about.

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 06:12PM

Thanks...great thoughts

IMO we get one shot at a very improbable life on a little planet...the goal is to make your life your own.

To let a religion run your life to me is a damn waste of a miraculous existence.

I live an awesome life...I hope all of you do as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 07:13PM by oldklunker.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 06:34PM

My theory is that we have no intrinsic meaning whatever. We get to totally make our own "meaning" for ourselves. People and groups who attempt to define your meaning for you are called churches. They do it to gain control of you and use you for their own benefit.

Posted by: Frightened Inmate #2 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 07:07PM

I was told that we're supposed to f^ck b!tches, get money.

Seriously though, I just try to enjoy myself and take care of the people I love.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 08:42PM

" I just try to enjoy myself and take care of the people I love."

My philosophy, exactly. It isn't new, either. It's called Epicurianism and was figured out by the Greeks.

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 08:47PM

I'd like to share a few thoughts that have been rumbling around in my mind.

Conscious life consists of people, passions, and plot. It is our entanglements with other people to engage in various plots that produce affects that we then interpret as meaningful. But affects can also impel us to act, so they become a form of kindling to fuel the fire of meaning in life, whose absence is found in the coldness and boredom of isolation. Therefore, the ultimate fountain of meaning is one's own culture.

But the culture that we're born into can, because we modify ourselves through experience and directed learning, become ill-fitting, thus prompting us, often at great personal cost, to distance ourselves from it and adopt another. One example of this is children born to Pentacostals that abandon the faith of their parents for atheism. Once one moves forward, there can be no going back. "You can't go home again."

Meaninglessness obtains when one is removed from the necessity of even mundane interactions with other humans, and thus from plots and the ordinary churn of affects that we interpret as "living." One's biological needs are met, but one has effectively stopped functioning within society as a productive member. One merely passively consumes cream soda manufactured by others, eats meals prepared by others, browses books written by others, says hello and expresses superficial thanks to strangers for serving him, and drifts through life as an observer rather than a participant emotionally embroiled in a plot with a goal.

This is a rare condition. It's difficult to feel that life is meaningless when one is active in it. But if one is disabled--for instance, hospitalized due to depression, or unemployed--one has been removed from the game board. One is no longer a player. While one may intensely yearn to be, circumstances actively bar one's readmission. It is then that meaninglessness becomes possible, for one has lost one's social inclusion among valued (either positively or negatively--both create meaning) peers and opportunity to engage in goal-seeking (plot) to move toward a desired end. The endpoints don't matter so much in themselves, only the sequences of action--with awe-inspiring vistas and occasionally thrilling bursts of speed--that the individual experiences in the process of moving toward them. Otherwise, one drifts randomly and then founders, without having ever charted a course to his own destination or tried to arrive there.

Meaninglessness is the experiencing of mostly aversive emotions, including boredom, rejection, anger, envy, helplessness, anxiety, depression, fear, and others. Meaning is the experiencing of mostly positive emotions. The farther removed that one becomes from people, plot, and passions (positive emotions that promote action to achieve goals), the more likely it is that one will experience meaninglessness. The challenge is to stay close enough to the herd to warm oneself while, like Schopenhauer's porcupines, not to get too close so as to prevent oneself from being pricked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog's_dilemma.

Are the people that you're around those that you want to be around? Who is the most important person in your life and why? Do you have enemies, and if so, why are they your enemies? What do they threaten, and how? Which stories are you engaged in? Write brief descriptions of them down; there aren't many. What passions do you feel day by day? How often do you feel aversive emotions, and under what circumstances? Which stories do you badly want to participate in, perhaps as the central character? What's impeding you? Do you have a clear direction in life and an overarching goal, or are you going with the flow, allowing sociocultural currents to carry you where they will without your active resistance or engagement?

Most fundamentally: What do you want? What do you most hope for? What do you most fear, and why? How likely are either to happen? At the end of your life, what do you want to be able to say that you've experienced or achieved in order to call it meaningful? How will you know if you've succeeded or failed? How will others know, and by which measuring stick should your life be evaluated?

Ask yourself: By 30, what do I want, and expect to have? By 40? 50? 60? 70? 80? Remember this: time is running out, however imperceptible that may seem now. It will accelerate as you go. Choose wisely how to spend your time. It's the one thing that you can never have back. Each moment matters. Choose wisely and act decisively. Never surrender your dreams, for the greater the meaninglessness, the greater the incapacity and barriers to returning to the game board.

Our time is now.

Steve

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 08:50PM

It's one of the amazing creative abilities of the human mind; you get to figure out your own meaning, use someone else's (as in religion),or just allow it all to evolve with no particular direction other than keeping alive.

I am going down the top of the mountain on the back side. I can find meaning in anything I can imagine. Or not.

As long as my brain and body holds out, I'll be independent.
If I become dependent,then I'll be someone else's meaning for their life! :-)

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: October 12, 2013 08:54PM

Susie,

Without other people, and plot to enact with them, I guarantee you that none of us would call life meaningful.

I'm convinced that meaning is what we create as we interact with other humans and construct or play out others' linguistic stories.

Best,

Steve

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.