Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: volrammos ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 05:20AM

To put things in proportion, I am a heavy drinker and earlier I had my downs when I felt shame for drinking to much. But now when I have accepted my thirst I have started to think about how my drinking affects my life. I asked myself is there anything else in Life that have engulfed me so much?

Yes, there is and I think we all know what it is.

It was hard to quit because I needed it to be happy. Without it I felt I would die and everything would go wrong. All my life was about that simple thing that fixed everything when I felt down. It all was empty, and contained no true happiness.

When I drink to many beers I drink to be in the present and just have a good time, when I got into religion I sacrificed and lost myself completely. Everything was about easy fixes.

Do not do religion!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 05:22AM by volrammos.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gabriel ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 05:51AM

I think religions like a drug because even if your quit drugs your family and old friends always invite you back for more.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 11:15AM

Someone else agrees with you, on the topic that religion is like a drug:

Lenin called it (by misquoting both Hegel and Marx) an opiate and a spiritual booze.

Feuerbach said theology was the worst enemy of an awakened spirit and man as an individual, and seemed to be also saying that religion was an imaginary world where man cannot truly live an authentic life.

Mill said political economies demand or create Gods to balance or ease the demands of man, but Marx said Gods were necessary only in an inverted (upside down in his words but unbalanced, in mine) political economy.

I think any lifelong or passionate habit that is done unthinkingly or without much investigation can be not unlike an addiction, or a drug. And, letting completely go of anything we are greatly invested in or psychologically adapted to, can feel a lot like physical withdrawl.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:24PM

If you or anyone you know has a loved one who is suffering from mormaddiction... if they're not willing to recognize their addiction and/or capable of enduring the withdrawal symptoms, they're pretty much screwed.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:29PM

volrammos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do not do religion!

I used the Mormon variety to get off of substance abuses. I do not recommend it (LDS Inc.). All it does is channel your existential angst into religious stress and anxiety.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.