Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 04:59PM

It appears at least a few neighbors are ticked about the new Meridian, Idaho temple being built.

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/mormon-lds-temple-meridian-neighbors-228569741.html

This was noteworthy: "The public hearing is set for Wednesday at 6 p.m. The 'staff recommendation" to county commissioners is a denial of the appeal, meaning the temple would get the green light.'

I wonder how many of the staff recommending green-lighting the construction are members of TSCC.

(And is it just me, or are the new temples getting more hideous every year? This thing looks like something out of Gotham City in a Batman cartoon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 05:53PM

It's like someone took Web 2.0 thinking to the Cardston, Alberta temple... "just add some rounded corners and some accent colours (gold on top) and it'll be great!"

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 06:05PM

How about replacing Moroni with a big rotating globe and sign that says:"Daily Planet"? Or perhaps "Wayne Enterprises" with the Bat Signal on top?

I love the comments section, especially the guy who says "As a member the Temple is a very sacred place for us to be taught things that we can't learn during our normal church services."

"Normal" church services? That made me chuckle right there.

Posted by: Devils Spawn ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 06:17PM

Can someone explain to me why MORmON Temples are the most unappealing buildings ever constructed by the human race?

They come from the Fugly School of architectural design. I certainly wouldn't want one anywhere near my property. They are an offense to God and man. They blight whatever they touch. Can't we just blow them all up and thus remove the offense that they are?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 06:37PM

All wedding cake decorators should be out there protesting.

Ana

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 06:42PM

Come on, really? the most unappealing and they should be blow up, relax a bit.

Posted by: Devils Spawn ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 02:14AM

OK, no bombs, but temples are still the most godawful ugly buildings. And they're built to stand out against the landscape. Yuck, yuck, double yuck.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 03:45AM

The opposite of Frank Lloyd Wright. I think the mad bomber meant that these monstrosities are beyond saving. They are so inappropriate as buildings, they couldn't be remodeled as office buildings, hotels, schools, or anything of use. Such a waste of prime view lots! (Not the highest and best use of the land.)

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 10:34PM

Hey Lucky, why aren't you logged in?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 07:40PM

Big and ugly, yet squat and frumpy, is how I'd describe it. These ugly buildings are popping up like toadstools all over the inter-mountain west. They should at least be taxed like any other commercial structure. And they are commercial. They have registers and they sell consumer items inside.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 07:42PM

Oh man. The proportions are messed up. It's very squat and has absolutely no grace! It looks like a giant potato.

Posted by: odin ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 10:36PM

Well, it is in Idaho.

Posted by: raisedbyjackmormons ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 08:22PM

Mormon Temples always remind me of something straight out of the "Barbie Dream Castle" catalog, or maybe the "My Little Pony" sparkle pretty castle collection. Really awful -- tacky and childish architecture. Stop with the white already.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 10:32PM

The thing looks like a cross between a mausoleum and a federal prison designed in the 1930s. It is the architectural equivalent of lead diving boots.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 08:13AM

Spot on BoJ.

"Whatever look you were going for, you missed."

Posted by: george ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 03:09AM

San Diego LDS Temple, just down the road a tad from Disneyland...

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 08:19AM

I definitely would not want that building in my neighborhood!

How ironic that the city council anticipates that people in the neighborhood will move because they don't want to deal with this eyesore. That's one way to drive all the non-Mormons out and replace them with happy little Morgbots who want to live next door to such an ugly building and all the complications it brings.

Posted by: marcopolo ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 08:25AM

Call me crazy but I think it looks kind of cool...

A bit ostentatious but still, I kind of like it.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 08:27AM

You're crazy.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 08:25AM

What a large building! Ugly and too big for a neighborhood. I hope it gets voted down.

Whoopee "house values increase" next to a temple...right...

Who's stupid enough to want to live next to that "thing?"

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 08:43AM

As Mormon temples go, its not half bad. Derivative, but at least it's derivative of Mormonism's architecturally best temple.

Posted by: Cornelius ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 10:08AM

I would be more worried about the lights. Since LDS inc sees fit to use a ridiculous amount of light to make sure everyone can see the temples at all hours of the night. How annoying would it be to have that much light pollution in your backyard. Good luck ever seeing any stars ever again.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 10:44AM

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 01:35PM

As one with a degree and background in architecture, let me offer my professional opinion:
Its ugly.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 22, 2013 02:05PM

Yes very, very ugly. And I'm thinking that they are just lying again about stuff. It is really not a temple, but a bomb shelter for the 15.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.