Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon_today ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:21AM

My PB had a lot of the generic stuff in it about marrying in the temple, having kids etc. but one thing that I thought made my PB unique was that it told me I wouldn't die. It said: "you will not taste of death but will be transformed in the twinkling of an eye" and something about being with my children in righteousness during the millineum. If I could find the thing I'd type out the whole passage but I don't know where it is.

Anyway, this part always amazed my whole family (and myself back when I was TBM) like I was so special because I would have the "privelege" of just being twinkled rather than having to suffer through death. I really believed it too as did my whole TBM family. Of course it also said something about how that would only happen if I was a righteous mother in zion or some such BS. But still, I really did feel kind of invincible and think my whole family thought I was too. I remember my dad brushing off any risks I may have faced (while driving in bad weather for example) because of that promise in my PB.

Now that I know the TSCC isn't true I wonder about my blessing and if that was a fairly common thing that was said. I got my blessing when I was 16, back in 92 I guess it was. The patriarch in my stake was known for giving long detailed blessings, at least from what I heard. Mine was long (3 pages typed, single spaced) and I always thought it was pretty detailed and specific but looking back now I can see how the patriarch used the techniques that fortunetellers use to "read" people because the things he said fit my personality but could have been applied to anyone who was a bookish, shy and insecure teenager like I was at the time...

Anyway, just curious if anyone had this type of promise in their blessing. And, any theories on why a patriarch might make such a promise?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 11:24AM

I had a calling where I typed Patriarchal Blessings as a calling. I did see that a few times, but it was really rare. I always felt jealous when I had to type that.

I was told that I'd come forth in the morning of the First Resurrection, which is what most people were told. I wanted to be twinkled, darn it. LOL

Date: February 05, 2011 12:06PM

LOL I totally get the jealousy.

It seems rather silly now but it really did make me feel special--kinda motivated me to stay on the "straight and narrow" too since not dying sounded nice.

Posted by: Jod3:360 ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:17PM

All of them died, and there has been no second coming as of 12:16 EST.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:22PM

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:47PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 12:52PM

Mine said that I would not be required to suffer unduly at any time and something about being safe because I would be found in holy places serving the Lord when the end came.

I gave mine to my daughter (or she rescued it from the garbage)or I would also post it--but my mother just loved that part of my PB. I LIVED by my blessing. When I read it a few years ago (after not reading it for about 25 years)--my life turned out exactly opposite of what that blessing promised WHILE I WAS ACTIVE mormon--while I was "in holy places serving the lord."

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:18PM

Mine said I'd see the second coming of Christ and raise some of my children during the millenium. It made me assume I wouldn't die, but be translated, and of course that I would have children. The stake patriarch used to give talks about how christ would come in 2000 and usher in the millenium, so I have a feeling a lot of his blessings to teenagers in the 90s had this same theme. I think I got mine in 91 or maybe 92, don't remember exactly. He wasn't crazy though, our patriarch was very learned and intelligent. PhD in physics, he was a co-inventor of a certain type of laser, invited by USSR scientist to visit there in the 70s. He was fascinating to listen to, so when he got up and preached the end of the world in 2000 people listened. He died in 97. How he believed in the mormon church I will never know.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:30PM

Date: February 05, 2011 10:25PM

LOL! Yeah, silly Mormon lingo.

Posted by: Wonderin ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 01:32PM

NT

Date: February 05, 2011 10:23PM

No, I was in the Seattle area, Everett Stake.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 02:14PM

Growing up, everyone in our CA stake thought the second coming was right around the corner. Or at least not much past the year 2000

Of course, we all know by now that "signs of the times" have been seen since at least 400 AD by the deluded.

MY best friend's PB said she was of the lineage of the Messiah.
Joseph Smith believed/implied the same thing about himself. Duh

Her father's PB said he would walk to Zion, he died 10 years ago.

PBs go back to the Smith family's dabbling in Magick and the Occult,with a few masonic myths thrown in for good measure.

Totally useless.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 10:00AM

my patriarch was approaching 90 at the time...very old and feeble. Of course, this was back in the mid-70's. He went on about how I was a "great and noble" spirit...held in reserve..blah blah blah, and that I would be in a key leadership position when Christ returned to the New Jerusalem (i.e. imagine the coinky dink that we actually lived in Indep. at the time). Any hoo..he was trying to impress my parents, and a good job he did two. I was treated like royalty after that by my mother. I missed out on the twinkle darn it. By the way, a lot of nutso's came out of Utard to live in Independence - this partriarch was one of them. I mean, serioulsy, the nuttiest of the nutties come to Independence, but that's a whole another topic.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:03AM

My PB promised me that, through faith and the power of the priesthood, I would "have power to still the elements, as the need may arise; for you will be in danger, even as it may rage about you as in a fiery furnace, but the Lord will spare you..."

I thought I'd be a spiritual badass.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 11:08AM

Mine didn't make such a promise, but it did say something interesting regarding my wife. The blessing indicated that she would be endeared to me. I now take that as a threat. Unfortunately to loose the bonds it would require me becoming active and temple worthy. Hope the "endearment" does not come to pass in this life or the next.

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: February 07, 2011 12:53PM

My whole family was jealous that my sister was going to get his hand to take her from the earth while the rest of us just got the middle finger.

Anubis

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.