Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 12:26AM

I've been off the boards for quite some time, but am still active, for the most part, trying to get people to think for themselves on FB, other sites, and face to face. It doesn't go well. Why are people so determinedly ignorant and anxious to cede their lives, thoughts, finances, choices, and behaviors to this faceless, soul-sucking, life-crushing organization? I'm happier than ever these days, but the anger continues, especially when I see quotes like this (I'm sure you've already talked about it) - "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith." It makes my head explode - such a classic, cultish way to keep members marching in lockstep and opposed to any serious inquiry or questioning. I hate that I was ever a part of it in any way.

Hope everyone is doing well these days. Our granddaughter, whom we adore, is five now and the absolute light of our lives. One daughter LOVES that I'm out of the church, one daughter is ambivalent, and both sons simply will not discuss it for even a minute - it is off-limits and we chat pleasantly and amicably about everything else while ignoring the proverbial elephant in the room. One of those sons is going to be a father in a few months, so I suppose keeping things normal(ish) is good so we don't ruin our chances of seeing our 2nd grandchild. I routinely take a hosing on FB for even obliquely suggesting that people use their freakin' heads, think for themselves, and not allow organizations to control every facet of their lives, and I've lost friends and family like nobody's business (they simply cut me out of their lives, though I'm still "me", quite friendly and never hostile). Gotta love it. But, I know what I know and I can never go back. Happy days - no more TSCC and lots more learning about who I am and what I actually want to do in life. Love it! :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonforthis ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 12:30AM

That's awesome! I'm relatively new here. I can't figure out how to change my screen name back to peterlynch but I ended up here because I wanted to post my exit story. It was a sort of therapy. Anyway, tonight I'm feeling pretty awful and experiencing some rather new feelings of betrayal and hurt. It's a hard road. How old were you when you left? Did you already have kids etc?

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 12:37AM

This is a good place to be - you'll find friends and help beyond what you can imagine.

My parents converted when I was 3 and I was solid LDS (though I never truly believed) until I was 48. I had a couple of life crises that forced me to examine everything I thought I knew for sure. I read a mountain of material, thought deeply, and did a lot of internet research (and spent a lot of time on these boards). First to go was my commitment to the church, and then, shortly after that, my belief in any divine being. I felt liberated and joyful beyond anything I could imagine - before, nothing made sense, but now, EVERYTHING makes sense. I wrote a book about it, pissed off a lot of people, alienated many people close to me, lost friends, and became isolated, but it has all been worth it. I held on to my temple recommend just long enough to see our youngest child married, then I resigned (literally - the wedding was Friday and I emailed my resignation Saturday). He was the last of our children to get married and had been out of the house for a few years (mission, college).

So, I'm old and decrepit, and I grieve over the years I lost spending time and effort on the church, but am so very glad I figured things out at all. It is common to feel betrayed - I certainly do, so allow those feelings to come front and center so you can deal with them. It's painful, but cathartic at the same time. I am routinely furious all over again when I see idiotic posts on FB or hear friends and family parrot the "doctrines" they've had pounded into their heads - makes me nuts. I do what I can to rattle peoples' cages and make them think, but most don't appreciate it.

I'm sorry you're having a tough night. Everyone here will help you. Glad you posted your exit story - it really does help, eh?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.