Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 06:56PM

I remembered recently an encounter I had with my high school librarian years ago. I had read a couple of Dean Koontz books and wanted the AR points (accelerated reader sucks, but we still had to use it). She told me that she would not order/allow me to test on those books because even though they were allowed in the AR program, she did not approve of their content and would not allow them nor their tests.

At this same time, the Anita Stansfield books were becoming very popular and all of the good LDS girls were in love with them. (LDS romantic fiction). These, of course, were not a part of the AR program, but all of the girls were reading them, so the librarian created her own tests for them.

Apparently morridor lds teen girls are allowed to read about sex in context of the church but not in context of the world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 07:22PM

Censorship---don't you just love it?

I hope at one point that librarian was called on what she was doing maybe by a principal with some sense and well, principles.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 07:29PM

This was also during the time when there was a lot of interest in _The Child Called It_ books. Freshman were encouraged to read about physical abuse, but seniors can't read about sex!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.