Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 07:55PM

Could use some help. Nevermo that lives (11 years) in a heavily mormon populated neighborhood in Sandy. After the initial come-ons during the 1st 18 months, we've been pretty much left alone, with our immediate neighbors knowing that there's zero interest in us joining their church. In the past 10 weeks, we've been visited by the missionaries 5 times- including today. It's the same pair (one has bright red hair). I've been polite, but the past 3 times I've told them not to return, including "when's a good time to share a message with you?" About your church-I asked. "Yes". "Never- please don't come back.

But they do. How can I find out where the bishop lives? Don't know who he is, but I'd like to stop by & ask if he'd like to join our church. I'll do it again, once a week, until he gets that I don't want his minions on my doorstep. Is there a bishop directory for my area? How would I find out? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 07:57PM

Find the Bishop? That sounds like a slightly naughty sex act! ;o))

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 08:04PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 08:06PM

It might be better to find the mission president and talk to him directly, as he is over the missionaries - not the bishop. I'm not sure what mission you are in. Possibly Salt Lake City South Mission. Here is their website:

http://mission.net/utah/salt-lake-city/south/missioninfo.php

But I couldn't find a mission map. You could call the office and tell them where you live and if you are in another mission area, they would give you the phone number. Good luck.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 08:08PM

OK, I just clicked on the Mission Info page and the mission home is in Sandy so my guess is, if you call the contact number, tell them you are not LDS and want to talk to the mission president directly, they will gladly put you through if he is there. If you know the names of the missionaries, tell the president but if you tell him where you live, it will be easy enough for him to figure out who works that area. No missionary is going to ignore his MP if told to stop going to some place.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 08:09PM

Find the mormon wardhouse closest to your home.
Look in the phone book for LDS churches. Bishop Name is often listed.

If not go to the same Church house at 8:00 AM Sunday Morning, tell the folks at the door that you need to talk to the P.E.C. Meeting, introduce yourself and tell them to f___ off.

Posted by: Vote for Pedro ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 08:15PM

Agree with others that the mission president is the one to call if it's only the missionaries coming by. They report to him, not the bishop. It's a totally separate organization.

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 08:58PM

Have you never heard of a garden hose?

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 08:58PM

You might try calling the mission office. That's what I had to do to get them to leave my nevermo mother alone after my always inactive father died. You know -- gett'em while they're grieving.

Article about it in the LA Times didn't hurt either!

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 09:03PM

Put your address in here and it will tell you which ward, time, and location appropriate for your address.

http://www.lds.org/maps/#ll=40.838185,-111.878601&z=15&m=google.road&x=find&find=advanced

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 09:32PM

You've been clear, but they don't want to hear it.

Notch it up and be curt to the point of rudeness. Tell them you'll go to the police and get a lawyer if necessary, then tell them you'll get out the garden hose if they won't comply.

Seriously, every person in their home has an absolute right to determine who will be allowed onto the property. No explanations necessary.

Posted by: NevermoJohn ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 10:09PM

These guys are harassing you. You could video your next interaction with them, asking them why they continue to harass you when you have asked them so many times to leave you alone. You could ask them straight up "What will it take for me to get you to leave me alone?" You could ask if anyone actually converts to their religion after being subjected to this level of harassment? You could even ask whether anyone has ever gotten a restraining order against them.

Posting the video on line might bring them no end of grief. What they think they might be able to get away with in a heavily Mormon area really isn't going to play so well to the general public.

Of course, you might also get some heat from Mormons. I don't know how vulnerable you are in your heavily Mormon area. So, always consider all the ramifications before posting a public video.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 10:50PM

The last time the missionaries showed up on my doorstep, after being told I didn't want them there several times, I told them that next time I'd be answering the door naked. Now I wouldn't actually do that, but they don't know that.

That was over three years ago. Haven't seen them since.

Funny thing, we have sister missionaries now. They still haven't knocked on my door.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 02:44AM

Thank you all for your great answers & help. The map link sends me to a ward house about 1 mile (& 2 ward houses away)
Does the same MP & bishop cover those areas? Thanks again.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 09:52AM

The location of the church building is no guarantee that you are in "its" boundaries. Frequently people are assigned to ward buildings that are not the closest.

And the Mission Office is usually its own building separate from regular meetinghouses.

I think making their visits uncomfortable would be more effective than making requests to the corporate machine that will either ignore you by choice or inefficiency.... And if that didn't work, I'd go the police/lawyer route before I'd talk to the church.

Posted by: Noname42nite ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 03:06AM

I also live in Sandy. I have seen these missionaries on my street many times. I recognize the bright red hair! When they come to my house, I don't answer the door, ever. Last time I saw them I was in my front yard watering flowers. They looked right at me, didnt wave or say Hi,and went right on by. I hope they gave up. Sorry, don't have any info on the ward or Bishop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.