Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Administrator ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:37PM

We just wanted everyone to know of a recent incident in which a search engine optimization (SEO) company tried to bribe and threaten us into removing a thread on a subject they didn't like. The thread in question can be found here: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,492183

As far as we know, this incident had nothing to do with the Mormon Church and was just a company trying to make a quick buck by sanitizing search results that are embarrassing to a business client.

The credibility of exmormon.org is paramount, as is our commitment to protect our posters and their legitimate discussions. We will never waver from this commitment by accepting bribes or bowing to bullies. We have your back.

Admin

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:46PM

Even more evidence of their culty-cultness.

What legitimate company needs to threaten people's right to free speech?

Oh, yeah, BYU....

Thanks mods.

Anagrammy

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:50PM

Thankyou for ALL that you do Administators, particularly in seeing we get the truth. It is VERY appreciated!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:53PM

Wow. Thank you, moderators. So much goes on behind the scenes that we never know about.

You have created a safe haven for those who are questioning, leaving, or have left the Mormon church -- and friends who want to support them on their journey.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 07:06PM

Nerium age defying cream might be a scam . . . and a cyber bully.

Posted by: rexburgtoaz ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 07:08PM

Thank you for protecting us. I've said many things on this board that I'd never be able to express to anyone else.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 07:33PM

Thanks for protecting freedom of speech. People have the right to get others opinion of any product and service out there. Even the best product can get negative feedback. Legitimate companies do not worry about that. The fact that the SEO is trying to skew pubic opinion should speak volumes of the character of the product and the SEO itself. Sad but true people think they can portray bad character and then bully public opinion.

Personally any marketing I get from companies with poor character get reported to the FTC. I have notebooks of loggings of FTC reports.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 07:36PM

Geez. I just read that thread. Crazy. The company clearly tried to come in and flood the post with their own people.

For myself, I use pure castile soap. That's it. No creams or other chemicals on my skin.

Anyway, thanks for watching out for us. Bribing and threatening? That's crazy.

It really is like the Mormon Church. If something is true, then it will stand up to scrutiny and criticism. Is all is on the up-and-up, then there should be no worries there.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 07:42PM

So a great big thank you here!

I love you guys and what you do for free speech.

And.

If it's time to donate again, just let me know. Ready, willing, and able. One of the more noble uses of my money - the pittance that I've given anyway.

The gall, to threaten. Or bribe.

So I'm imagining, even if this particular incident wasn't church related, that the morg will be investing heavily in SEOs within the next few years. Another great use of tithing money, I suppose. In addition to paying for hating "the gay", and useless meaningless temples and chapels, and high end prissy malls in downtown SLC.

Geez.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 07:54PM

Awesome! Thank you for protecting free speech.
Out of curiosity, are there ever any bribes or threats from LDS, inc for taking down specific threads?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 08:20PM

We have been contacted about copyright violation and we agreed and pulled. We ask you guys to be careful of that too. But LDSInc is very aware of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 10:14PM

That was an interesting wiki-read, Susan.

To all of the admins, y'all rock!

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 08:18PM

Bravo!

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 08:32PM

Maybe you should contact non-Mormon media outlets in the Morridor--could make for a good story.

Posted by: Xq ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 01:57AM

That'd be a pretty cool story. A bunch of refugees from a religious scam, not going to be pushed around by a cosmetic scam.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 08:32PM

Thanks for protecting our freedom of speech and keeping this board alive.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 10:15PM

Thanks for protecting our freedom of speech.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 10:27PM

Thank you, you guys and gals are great.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 11:49PM

Must ask....what was the bribe?

I just did a search on Nerium AD and they still seem to have their culty propaganda pieces show up in google. They must have done quite a bit of bribery and intimidation. The one thing they can't control is Amazon, where there are many 1 star reviews. Got to love amazon, the company/cult can seed the reviews with fake 5 star ratings, but all the other ratings are still there to be read.

Thanks Admins for dealing with the pond scum.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 12:04AM

My husband works for an SEO company... can I email one of the admins and ask if it was the company he works for?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 07:07AM

It only encourages them.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 08:10AM

Thanks for everything you do! Protect the board; we need you and we need each other!

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 11:12AM

Thanks for being honest.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 11:18AM

Integrity? In an ExMo forum?

If you already are supposed to have sold your soul to the devil, why not get a few extra bucks from an MLM? ;)

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: October 28, 2013 05:08PM

SEO scum are destroying the democratic way with which the internet once worked.

When I google something I don't want results that have been paid for or have other results missing because people have been threatened.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 12:03AM

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 08:45PM

Admins, y'all rule. Seriously. And undoubtedly there's lots more behind-the-scenes stuff that you deal with that we will never know. And you still manage to be kind and fair. Much thanks and love to you.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 09:32PM

What am I going to do with my 5,341 cases of Berillium-Enriched Premium Organic All-Natural Nerium? I can't park my car in the garage!

Date: October 29, 2013 09:50PM

Susie is a poster
Sue works for the foundation
I work for Eric

And that was very funny. I would laugh at you but I just bought a 24 pack of toothpaste. But it was only $10 and free shipping! I did have a pang about 2year supply and all that though :).

Date: October 30, 2013 05:33PM

Date: November 01, 2013 06:22PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 01, 2013 10:43PM

I'm prone to getting a bit out-of-control at the warehouse club. We have three kids out on their own, just the last, a teenager, and I'm finally adjusting to the fact that I'm not buying for four growing kids.

I'm not a survivalist or a hoarder, but I can connect with those mindsets!

Date: November 02, 2013 10:19PM

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 01:02AM

You guys rock.

Thanks for looking out for us.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 04, 2013 09:53PM

Serious Thanks.

Posted by: nwguy ( )
Date: November 05, 2013 02:46AM

It's obviously a total scam. Like Amway, NuSkin, (pick your MLM poison...) It's Multilevel Marketing at its worst (or finest, depending on your POV ;-). I wonder how many TBMs who peddle this sh*t will visit the RFM board and attempt to convert us?

Date: November 21, 2013 05:21PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.