Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 12:03PM

LDS Inc. does an excellent job blowing Moroni's horn for him in these latter days. I mean they are super good at and use PR finesse to blather on about their hands (sans Testimony Gloves) and their "Welfare" programs and adding up all those santitation kits and blankets and monetizing them in their self promotion.

That is itself is tacky. But where do they excel in being tacky and irresponsible?

I have a few ideas.

The billion pound gorilla that is The Mall of Mormon Jesus was irresponsible for an organization with a mission to save humanity and doing it "frugally."

Any other ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 12:10PM

Facebook. Seriously, LDS Inc. encouraging members to rant on and on about how happy and blessed they are, the joys of being obedient to a prophet, the glory of the temple and how much happier Mormon families are than the rest of humanity - that is so off-putting. They sound fake and forced, not like someone you would want to emulate. They think they are setting a good example, showing how happy they are in their religion not realizing that religion is personal for most people and it's tacky to ramble on about your beliefs to an unwilling audience. Plus, when they try to show how much "better" Mormon life is, it comes across and self-righteous and bragging i.e. "We're more righteous than you are" not "Look how happy you can be" which is what they are supposedly going for.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 12:54PM

So true. Facebook Mormonism IS the most tacky and irresponsible LDS Inc. example.

Seriously, promoting your religon via Facebook is mixing narcissism and self promotion with an org making it pretty much what it is - Amway for religion.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 01:39PM

If you don't all their techniques, here is one that I saw recently: A FB friend who is Catholic (mentions going to Mass every once in awhile) has some co-workers who are Mormon. They got her to click "Like" on a Mormon.org FB page. Since she "likes" their page, Facebook allows LDS Inc to use that for a paid "suggested item" which appears under her name from time-to-time almost as if it were a status or news item she had chosen to "share" with her friends.

To me this is VERY tacky.

I mentioned this to her last month when it happened for the second or third time that she was inadvertently promoting Mormonism. She said someone else had also just pointed that out to her. I told her if it bothered her (not clear if it did or not) that she should "unlike" the Mormon.org page. I am not sure if she did or not, but I have not seen that re-appear since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 01:40PM by jerry64.

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 12:12PM

By the meaninglessness of visitors' centers. My nevermo wife and I were recently in SLC, and we stopped by Temple Square. We were astounded at how much square footage (electricity, maintenance costs) is dedicated to showing how great the church is. There was even a shrine to Tommy Monny downstairs! Needless to say, my nevermo sweetheart was disgusted.

Posted by: Cali SAlly ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 12:20PM

I was told as a Ricks College employee that professional development opportunities were limited because they were paid for with tithing dollars. Then I would watch while Ricks threw huge and massively expensive banquet bashes for every conceivable occasion and invited long-time retired employees using the same tithing money.

Conclusion: It is fine to use tithing money to help obese and retired old people put on extra pounds but it's not right to use tithing money to keep your employees current on recent technological and academic knowledge.

Anyone wonder why I left for a public university?

P.S. The men had a fabulous, large, new locker room with sauna while the women had cold water locker room (faucetts were broken and never fixed) with only ugly, paint peeling lockers. There was only enough room for a few women and there were not enough lockers because the retired faculty had first choice for facilities. So women staff and faculty stopped using the facilities and Ricks said they didn't need updating or enlarging because women weren't using the facilities they had. GRRRRRRRR

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 12:25PM

has worked for BYU for a long time. During my time at BYU law, she constantly complained that they were being wasteful and extravagant when they were trying to impress someone, but didnt really invest in the school. So there is a second testimony from a TBM.

Posted by: Anonforthispost ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 01:50PM

About welfare in the church. Seriously, if they were "taking care of their own" like the church likes to tout; when I was up at the health and human services building yesterday I should not have seen ONE person from the ward. I saw 3. I know of at least 3-4 other families on state assistance out of a ward of less than 60 active members. I am just sayin'...taking care of their own my ass.

Posted by: Henry ( )
Date: October 29, 2013 02:02PM

Dontcha know? Public assistance is God's way of providing. That's how so many LDS women are able to stay at home with kids they can't afford while their husbands run ragged with their job(s) often while going to school at the same time...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.