Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 12:50AM

We moved outside of the city to ten acres that butts on State land. I was walking our three dogs; Ella, a six pound Yorkie, Chip, a six pound Chihuahua, and Rowdy, a 21 pound Chihuahua/Boston Terrier. They weren't on leashes because there is zero traffic danger on these paths.

Rowdy went off exploring in the trees as we progressed up the path. I had just turned and called him to rejoin us when he started yipping frantically. I thought he'd gotten stuck in a hole in a slash pile or something and headed for the yips. Ella and Chip also ran towards them; Ella ignoring me when I called her to me (she was NOT an obedient dog). Well, the yips stopped and then a horrible noise started -- almost sounding like a dying bird. I homed in on those noises and saw a large coyote (I actually thought it was a wolf because I didn't know coyotes got that big.) trotting slightly away from me with Chip in its mouth. I headed towards it and somehow Chip got loose and took off like a bat out of hell for home.

I decided it was more important to get him indoors and safe and that I would come back to look for Ella and Rowdy after he was inside (he's my daughter's dog). When I got home both he and Rowdy were there, barking frantically at the back door. They were remarkably unharmed -- only minor scratches and didn't even need to see a vet. Ella, however, was nowhere to be found.

We looked and looked over the course of two days, even though I was sure that first day that she'd been killed. I think that she barreled into the coyote that was attacking Rowdy (I didn't see another coyote but it makes sense that there was one) and when it attacked and killed her he got away. A second coyote most likely tried to take Chip but he was both lucky and fast and it didn't get a good grip on him so he got lose. Ella was not fast and she wasn't clever and she never stood a chance.

I'm not as heartbroken as I was but I miss her so much. She was always underfoot and so I keep getting reminded that she's not here anymore.

I'm torn between wanting to kick the teeth down some coyote throats and the knowledge that they were just acting within their nature.

When I'm not so sad I'll make a photo album of Ella and put it on Facebook for anyone who is interested -- although I never dressed her up I still have a few shots of her around the house.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 12:58AM

Sorry to hear about your loss. Coyotes are one of the few animals that I hate. It isn't their fault that they are the way they are, but it doesn't mean I have to like them for it.

Date: October 30, 2013 01:08AM

My son has a hand gun that I'm thinking about borrowing and taking with me on walks. I'm worried that they were hunting mid-day (although Rowdy might have just stumbled on them and become an attack of opportunity) and that they are obviously so comfortable so close to our home. I saw tons of evidence that they've been hanging out not even 200 yards from our house (and we aren't the only people in the area by a long shot) and I've found evidence that they've been on our property too. In fact, one of our neighbors warned us the very first day we moved in that the coyotes come right into our back yards. So I'm a little scared that these coyotes don't have or are losing their fear of humans. On the other hand, a supersoaker filled with vinegar might be a better first line of defense.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 01:18AM

Date: October 31, 2013 02:28AM

Date: October 30, 2013 08:41AM

If you do decide to go with the handgun, check what the local laws are about doing so. You may even call the local sheriff's non-emergency number. If you know how to handle a firearm properly, ie you can hit a target consistently, and know how to check to see if your line of fire is clear, then you should be okay.

Date: October 31, 2013 02:27AM

First of all, I don't want to risk injuring an animal to run off and die -- not even coyotes deserve that.

Also, I have grandkids that I wouldn't put at risk.

Very good advice -- thanks. :)

(I trained as a kid on 22s but this is a handgun and I've never used them.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 02:28AM by Rebeckah.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 01:15AM

+1

Sorry for the loss of your beloved pet, Rebeckah, but glad Chip escaped the coyote's grasp.

Posted by: Jojo ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 01:04AM

Sorry for your loss. I'll be extra careful walking my dog for now on.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 01:09AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. That would be heart breaking. I live in a small suburb outside of the city and we have poisonous snakes, coyotes, barn owls and other critters around.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 02:37AM

We have two Yorkies...one only 5 lbs. and we had a coyote scare in our neighborhood a yr. ago. A chihuahua was missing and signs were put up....then a few days later I was leaving for work and it was about 6:30 am....had to have my lights on...as I rounded a corner this thing began to run so fast ahead of me.....I could barely see it....knew it was a coyote tho....it got under the front gate and once I got out it was nowhere to be found. They are SO very fast. WE think it came back in to find another source of food...we think the little missing dog was his first find. I am so sorry about your loss. Dogs mean so much to us. I worry about my little one all the time and we do not let her out in the dark unless we are right there on the porch watching her.

My friend had a scare with her "hotdog" dog. He actually got bit....she saw him rush in the doggie door with blood on him. The vet said it was a coyote or mtn. lion bite. The strange thing in the animal leaped up on their metal shed(my friend has looked out quickly) and it disappeared. It was a development with many homes. So strange.

Date: October 31, 2013 02:31AM

In fact, some coyotes apparently develop hunting strategies to lure pets to where the pack can attack and kill them. It's kind of scary.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 02:49AM

I'm sooooo sorry. TEARS TEARS for you!!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 05:24AM

Thank you for letting us know.

Good wishes and comfort to you.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 05:50AM

I'm very sorry, Rebeckah. It's a shame that your animals can't enjoy the outdoors off-leash. I never realized before I read this board that coyote attacks are a threat in some communities. Once in a while we have a bird-of-prey attack on small dogs around here, but it's very rare.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 07:51AM

I know how it hurts to lose a little furbaby... we have coyotes in this area, too, but so far I haven't seen any near the town.

Date: October 30, 2013 08:44AM

I had a friend who had a Rottweiler get attacked by a pack of coyotes. They found the dog okay the next morning, surrounded by three dead coyotes, and blood trails indicating where another pair had slunk off. As far as they could figure, the coyotes were hunting on smell and had just assumed that whatever dog was in his yard was going to be just another lapdog.

Date: October 31, 2013 02:34AM

I won't be looking for at least several months. I need time to recover from Ella so I don't try to replace her but will let my next furbaby be him or herself. I still have Rowdy, who bonded to me two years ago, though, so I'm not completely bereft. I'm so grateful he and Chip escaped.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 10:16AM

So sorry about your Yorkie. That's very rough. I hope you're doing okay through this.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 10:19AM

Losing furbabies has been some of the hardest times in my life. (((HUGS)))

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 10:45AM

Very, very saaaaaad!!!!!

How horrible to experience that trauma.

I don't like mean animals.

Whatever put mean animals on Earth can go fuck itself.........

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 10:51AM

I have a tiny "something" dog that is about 7 pounds. I adopted him almost 2 years ago. I never thought of how much more danger he is in than even my cocker spaniel--though my dad's cocker spaniel was attacked by an owl on my dad's farm. My dad kicked it really hard and then shot it.

But my dog is also an escape artist. He can find every little spot in the fence to get out so he can go exploring. I have anxiety attacks every day about him.

There is only so much we can do to protect our animals when there are so many dangers for them. I'm SO VERY SORRY.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 02:01PM

That's so sad! Poor Ella! I think the coyote population has expanded because the eco-system is out of balance, and yes, they ARE losing their fear of humans. We have coyotes down here in the Southwest and people constantly lose pets. Hell, I live in suburbia, and there's a coyote who hangs around in the wilderness area near the subdivision.

So sorry you lost your furbaby.

Posted by: CAli SAlly ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 02:05PM

So, so, so, so, sorry for you. I lost my little terrier to an accidental poisoning by a neighbor. I knew it was an accident but still......

I was inconsolable for a long, long time.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 09:54PM

How horrible! I'm so sorry. *HUGS*

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 10:37PM

Oh, poor wee Ella. That's so sad. :-(

(Big hug.)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 10:40PM

I would put up posters and check the shelters in case she got away and is lost or frightened. It may be unlikely,but it is possible.

Date: October 31, 2013 02:36AM

He's spoken to the neighbors, put up a message on Craigslist, and he keeps checking for them -- but I'm not hopeful. I'm pretty sure she's gone.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 12:47AM

I'm so sorry. My fiancee's brother lost a cat to a coyote, and when we were there around Christmas and had gone around looking at the lights his brother's neighborhood is known for, we saw another one. We let him know so he could warn his neighbors to make sure their pets stay inside. Now, he has cats that are strictly indoor animals.

Date: October 31, 2013 02:37AM

It helps just to share about it and her. Hurts like crazy but it's getting better and having Rowdy and Chip helps.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 02:48AM

I am so very sorry for your loss. I have a minigoldendoodle who was supposed to be my husband's but she bonded with me. In a few years, we are retiring to some property in the mountains. Mountain lions were seen this summer close to the house. I had not even thought of coyotes. I have no idea if my dog would think they were other dogs and want to play. I wanted her to have more freedom in the mountains but now I will be more concerned than ever. She is my baby, and I never even wanted a dog.

Date: November 01, 2013 12:11AM

it's better than going through this pain again.

I take a sturdy walking stick with me right now when we walk. If I see any sign that the coyotes are becoming bolder then I'll take other precautions.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 01, 2013 12:38AM

I live out in the sticks. If I walk my little dog after dark I carry a loaded pistol. I do this because i've seen coyotes around my house.

I don't let my dog off leash because she won't come to me when I call her. She's got a mind of her own. It could be her undoing.

Your story makes me think I should also carry my pistol during the day. I've only seen the coyotes during the day, so that would make sense.

Posted by: Anniegal ( )
Date: November 01, 2013 01:06AM

Coyotes are loosing their fear of humans. A friend was bow hunting on our farm last year. A pack of coyotes surrounded him. He kept walking and they followed him. one even sat down in the path to block him. He said he was scared to death. He carries a pistol now while bow hunting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.