Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: al-iced ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 01:46AM

Does the church publish a complete financial report? Do they publish a partial report? Do they tell us of their charitable donations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 02:07AM

No.
No.
Sort of. (They have released some information about their charitable spending at least once. Businessweek did some calculations on it and figured it made up something like 0.7% of their total income http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-10/how-the-mormons-make-money#p6)

Date: October 30, 2013 02:48AM

In response to the US government cutting of snap benefits, a TBM responds, "Pay tithing, it benefits everyone."

Without getting political, how would you respond to this?

Posted by: an991 ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 12:54PM

Everyone at the top.

Posted by: twirlnwhirl ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 04:50AM

Print out the above business news week article and have you both read it. Then ask if they can request a breakdown of the church's books. Members will be told they do not need to see the finances or just trust the leadership. Also, ask why would a non profit church have so many businesses. Shopping malls, cattle ranches, radio, tv, newspapers, insurance company, high scale properties in Hawaii, etc. dig into all of the business side of the church and they look like a company out to make money. Is that the message of Jesus one would ask?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 06:46AM

Yes.

In countries where they are legally obligated, such as Canada and the UK.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 03:39PM

The most meaningful thing from those two are the average salary of church employees It was exceptionally high in Canada, over $100k so my guess is someone is making huge money and lifted the average.

Like a corporation, they shift things to a country where they don't have to report. Canada and the UK pay big $ to fund BYU. This means that $ from places that don't have to report can be spent on other things without the need to report in the US.

Look up Double Irish with a Dutch sandwich to see how companies do it. The Church has the most financially savvy folks that money can buy and aren't going to miss a trick about shuffling $.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 05:37PM

We have a saying where I work, "All money is green". The technical term is fungible. So money that is earmarked for one thing is acceptable, because money that would have normally been spent on that item is freed-up to be spent elsewhere. So when they say all their funds from Canada go to BYU, that frees-up money from the US that they tell the TBMs might go to BYU to go to business enterprises because the actual use of those funds are reported to no one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 05:38PM by jerry64.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 06:03PM

The UK pays nothing to BYU.
For the year ending December 2012 COB had to donate back to the UK £17,000,000 because that was the shortfall between incoming donations and outgoing operating expenses.
Without the help of SLC the Church in the UK is insolvent.

Date: October 30, 2013 12:09PM

Thanks Twirlnwhirl. I would love to do just that, but I'm afraid my TBM friend is a hopeless case and I would be better off just keeping my mouth shut. It's either that or lose her friendship. Since I am unlikely to convince her anyway, I'd rather not rock the boat... but, oh how I would love to!!!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 03:16PM

Like most other things there is the possibility that it is true but not accurate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.