Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 05:43PM

Faithful LDS pay tithing on all their revenue including government programs such as SNAP. One in Seven Americans receive SNAP (Food Stamps) TSCC has been encouraging members to apply for SNAP instead of using the Bishop Warehouse for food. This coming Friday (November 1st), one of Obama's stimulus programs ends and people that receive SNAP will lose 7% of their food income or about $10 per person. For faithful members that pay tithing on the value of their SNAP this means TSCC will lose $1 per person out of every 7 members. Maybe less maybe more.

What is TSCC going to do about this income loss? Will TSCC buildings not be heated in the winter? Will members have to bring their own roll of toilet paper? Any ideals on what the inspired version of TSCC cost savings will be due to Obama's stimulus ending?

I never thought about Obama being able to hurt TSCC in the pocketbook before.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Deja Blues ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 05:50PM

you're kidding right? TSCC asks members to pay tithes on Food Stamps - that's low.

I know they ask for 10% of Social Security Income (which if someone paid on their gross when they were working means they are paying twice on the same money), but SNAP - that's naked greed outright!

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 06:08PM

Even though it made good sense to continue it, today's climate wouldn't allow it.

So, you might want to restate that it's Obama hurting the TSCC. It's actually the right; indeed Mike Lee is probably a huge part of that, as he was of the shutdown.

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 06:14PM

....either your math or your assumptions are faulty. Your description of what changes on Nov 1st does not add up to a 10% total loss of tithing revenue for the Church. In theory it would only be an extremely small percentage loss, since very few members are in the category in question.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 06:32PM

Being required to pay tithing on food stamps is just wrong. As a taxpayer, I find that offensive. People who qualify for food stamps probably don't have enough income to pay taxes after they take the earned income credit and deductions for children, but in theory that would make money received from the government and then paid to TSCC a tax deduction.

I'll bet that the 15, who I'm sure have accountants, don't pay tithing on 100% of their Social Security. My guess is, that they calculate the increase and tithe that. I'm sure they do the same on any other retirement income they might have.

Posted by: an991 ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 06:49PM

I doubt they ever pay tithing

Posted by: Feelinglight ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 06:47PM

I thought the big guys did no pay tithing as they are given "stipends"?

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 06:52PM

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 07:00PM

Math fail, and logic fail.

First, most members don't pay on SNAP. SNAP is cash assistance, but the CHI doesn't direct members to pay tithing on assistance. This is left to the bishops' discretion.

Second, the only people on SNAP are those that are poor. This will impact a small percentage of tithing of those that are *poor* enough to meet SNAP standards. So, 1 in 7 people receive SNAP. They're going to lose 7% of their food income. 1 in 7 people is about 15 per 100. 7% of 15 is about 1.05% total.

Assuming the LDS church is demographically identical to SNAP recipients, and that everybody in the LDS church pays tithes on SNAP, and that people receiving SNAP don't pay tithes on *anything* other than SNAP, the total loss would be a decline in tithing by 7% among 15% of members, or a 1% overall hit.

Of course, there isn't much aggregate income among those on SNAP, so the actual impact would probably be a couple orders of magnitude lower. maybe .1% or .05%.

It won't be noticed, and it's not worth getting excited over.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 07:21PM

The GA's pay NO tithing at all for any reason.

Tell someone getting SNAP that losing 10% of their food budget is small or nothing. SNAP is not just for the poor. Out of every 7 people someone gets SNAP. There are a lot of Mormons that get SNAP. There are quite a number of posters to this web site that are eligible and receive SNAP benefits.

The percent of Utah LDS that receive SNAP may actually be larger than the rest of the country because of their large families and the FLDS (and others) should be quite a bit higher.

While a 10% loss for tithing over all is not suggested, TSCC will not like the 10% loss ($1 per member that receives SNAP) which may result in more cost saving measures. A family of seven would mean a $70 loss for the family and a $7 loss for TSCC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.